What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV 4 ADS B Ideas

I cannot comment on weight/balance or flutter issues, if that was your question. However, if you fly at night and currently have a required strobe light there, I *think* the SkyBeacon only replaces the white nav light - not the strobe.

Why not just install the Echo UAT? it’s cheaper and gives adsb in whereas the tip/tail mounted stuff does not. A little more involved to install but not anything difficult.

I attached the Echo Uat and SkyFx to the inside of the tunnel sidewall using the same bay as the pilots control stick. The Skyfx status lights are visible from this location. I placed the ADSB antenna in the starboard footwell and the transponder antenna in the port footwell. Meaning the wells directly in front of the spar. The Skyfx gps antenna I velcroed to the top of the rollover bar.

While I do have less than the 0ne meter separation recommended by Uavionix between monopole antennas, first flight and subsequent flights have good adsb performance reviews. No performance faults. My threshold setting is the factory 1350.

The red smudge on the control stick in the attached picture from my finger leaking after I snagged it on the castle nut cotter pin. Ouch.

Attachments

• IMG_7153.jpg
    IMG_7153.jpg
    230.8 KB · Views: 177
Last edited:
I've had no W&B or flutter issues. The weight difference between the old white nav light and the Tailbeacon is negligible.

echoUAT is a great option. I've used it in my previous airplane. However, it does require a lot more work vs. the plug and play simplicity of the Tailbeacon.

You'll have to be careful if using a tailwheel tow bar.

Yes
My biggest concerns are the weight/balance or flutter issues.

Attachments

• IMG_5305.jpg
    IMG_5305.jpg
    333.9 KB · Views: 87
Thank everyone for your input on the ADS B options. I will probably try the tail beacon but have not totally made up my mind. One of the best parts of the RV is the support from all the owners, builders and manufacturer.
Thanks again
G Harben
N12HR
RV 4 w/O320

Back