What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tail wheel issue

hcccs

Well Known Member
I was high speed taxying my RV4 and at the end of the grass strip I turned round and taxied slowly back and noticed that nothing happened whe I pressed right rudder pedal. If I let go the plane pulled to the left and I had to put on some brake to keep a straight line and it was so bad I had to step out and make sure the tail wheel chain hadn't come loose but it hadn't. After a while everything was normal again and then it happened again. When turning round the tail wheel is free swiveling and going straight again the spring loaded sliding key should engage to keep the wheel straight. I'm wondering if it did. Has anyone experienced this?

Yep - the locking pin gets stuck. Disassemble the tail wheel, clean it up, then grease.

On mine this happened early on and I had to lightly sand the sides of the pin to keep it from sticking in the slot. Not much, just a touch…..

Carl

Your tailwheel steering arm is probably getting worn. They need to be replaced periodically as well. As others suggested, check the spring pin as well.

Tailwheel issue

Hans,

For $12 this is an easy fix, spring or pin is probably worn out.

https://flyboyaccessories.com/product/locking-pin-and-spring

E2-E4-CA3-C-7-C2-E-4-AA6-A876-2-E0-BD88700-E1.jpg

I have them

JD Air Parts has them as well. Consider getting our dual bearing yoke for you plane. Super smooth and no worries about bushing wear. In stock and I can get that out today.

I recommend servicing the tail wheel assembly every oil change. Ya gotta let the oil drain anyway. Lift the tail up using your favorite method. I have a padded sawed off saw horse that put under the rear bulkhead. Drop the assembly and clean. Inspect the pin for burrs or defects. File out if not too bad. Check the arm for the same. Regrease and reassemble. Check for locking and unlocking.

I recommend a good lithium grease.

JD Air Parts has them as well. Consider getting our dual bearing yoke for you plane. Super smooth and no worries about bushing wear. In stock and I can get that out today.

I recommend servicing the tail wheel assembly every oil change. Ya gotta let the oil drain anyway. Lift the tail up using your favorite method. I have a padded sawed off saw horse that put under the rear bulkhead. Drop the assembly and clean. Inspect the pin for burrs or defects. File out if not too bad. Check the arm for the same. Regrease and reassemble. Check for locking and unlocking.

I recommend a good lithium grease.

No need to lift the tail on an oil change.you should be pulling the suction screen anyway, and you’ll get the rest of the oil out through the suction screen hole! https://www.lycoming.com/sites/defa...ervicing and Associated Corrective Action.pdf

Back to the OP problem.. yes you need to disassemble the tailwheel at least once a year and clean & relube it. You may have a bur, and might want to use a small file to square up the hole too. The plunger should not stick.

Back