What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Condition inspection at 1000 hours

bruceh

Well Known Member
I'm coming up due for an annual condition inspection this month and am just shy of 1000 hours and 8 years of flying my RV-9A.

Other than the usual oil change and new auto spark plug for the P-mags, should I be proactively doing anything based on just engine hours?

P-mags are up to date with the Firmware and were checked out at 500 hours by the factory.

Alternator belt looks good, but it is the original one on the airplane.

Hoses are of the teflon lined variety from Aircraft Specialty. I don't know if there is a life limit on these, but they look like new.

I changed the shrinking K&N air filter in 2020, so it should still be of sufficient girth to fill the airbox.

Brakes were done last year, and I've only done around 100 hours since then.

Walt points out a key item.

Every year you need to remove the PMAG, place it on a bench, and apply some lateral force to the gear. If it moves, it goes back to the factory for repair.

Here is a short video of a PMAG that failed the test: https://photos.app.goo.gl/Efvg1eS1d56DZxf47

Don't forget to replace the gasket and star washers.

Last edited:
Video with a 1000 words

Great video. At SnF I asked the booth why don’t you bring one that is right at the failure point so owners can see what is/isn’t acceptable.

I'm coming up due for an annual condition inspection this month and am just shy of 1000 hours and 8 years of flying my RV-9A.

Other than the usual oil change and new auto spark plug for the P-mags, should I be proactively doing anything based on just engine hours?

Lycoming recommends the SB 388C "wobble test" at 1000 hours (per SI 1485).

If it were my plane I’d remove the prop and replace the alternator belt. If you have a CS prop, there is probably a lot of gunk in the crankshaft. It wouldn’t hurt to clean that out.

Don’t believe Bruce has a constant speed. But just for reference, I pulled my Hartzell BF prop when I did an alternator conversion earlier this year (about 700 hours on it) and there was about 1/8” of that grey sludge in the cavity. Made a tool to scrape it out. Also put on a new alternator belt.

1000 hours!

If it were my plane I’d remove the prop and replace the alternator belt. If you have a CS prop, there is probably a lot of gunk in the crankshaft. It wouldn’t hurt to clean that out.

First: congratulations on putting 1000 hours on your bird! In 8 years that's doing some flying! If you go to OSH this year, get a prop card that helps you brag about that achievement!

Agree with replacing the alternator belt. It can "look good" and still be failing as they seem to fail from the inside. And then you don't have to worry about it. You can check all the torques on the prop and starter ring while there as the starter ring has to at least be loosened. While you are in there, look at the brushes on the alternator. Not much else wears out on those.....unless your belt is too tight, then bearings....which you will "spin test" (turn the pully without the belt on) to listen for that "balsy rumble" (thank you, John Muir).

Check all the baffling to make sure there are no new cracks or missing pieces. Look at the inside of your top cowling to see if there are some "spaces" where the air might be leaking through. The rubber baffling should create a pretty consistent dark line across the cowling.

Brake pads are easy to inspect and should be part of every conditional inspection, even with only 100 hours. They seem to go for a while, then quickly wear down....:confused:

Looking forward to hearing about your 2000 hour inspection!

Last edited:
Back