What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How tight should ball joint rod ends be?

larrys

Well Known Member
Hopefully the VAF brain trust would have the concise answer.
A fellow builder and I have been having a discussion about how tight ball joint end bearings should be.
I content the bolt should be a little loose so the bolt can spin by hand but snouge.
And he contends the bolts should be tight and exact to the net thickness of the unit letting the outer part of the do the spinning.

Please let us know what your experience is and what is recommended.
Interestingly we can find torque on vans and mcmaster-carr does not seem to answer the question
Thanks, Larry (where it should be a little loose to spin the bolt by hand)
And Jeff (where it should be tight and let the outer bearing do the spinning)

+4 That's why Van's specs the AN365 nuts, nothing in the bolted assembly is rotating.

Plus 5

Section 5 of the manual has details about when a bolt should not be torqued to standard value, and this isn’t one of them.

Rod End Tales

I used to work on Pitts Specials a lot. They have antifriction bearings of one sort or another at all the pivot points in the flight control systems. Some are self aligning ball bearings and some are ball end types. I always found some or all of them on any given airplane that were not installed correctly and the problem was that the bolts thru them were not tightened against the inner bearing rings. Sometimes they had been like that so long that the holes in the brackets were woggling out and/or the bolt shanks were grooved. What’s the point of a fancy bearing if you’re just going to use the hole in the middle for a plain bearing? I got pretty good at freeing up stuck bearings and replacing bolts, and adding washers to put things right. Additional thang… whenever I see a clevis or a bolt with a wire stuck thru it on a control system (really common on engine controls) I start thinking about replacing them with rod ends. They last a long time, stay in rig and reduce free play, sometimes dramatically.

Back