What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Replacements for Van's gauges

Cloudboy

My Van's oil pressure gauge just failed. I discovered Van's discontinued their gauges years ago. Mitchell gauges were suggested as replacements for the discontinued gauges. I don't want to build a new panel and I would appreciate hearing what experience others have had replacing individual failed gauges.

Failed Guages

I had a couple of the vans gauges that died on my RV6. One was the voltmeter it died when the alternator produced high voltage and the gauge burnt up.
The other was a fuel gauge that just died for no reason. I went on the forum and posted what I needed. It didn’t take but a few days and had what I needed in the mail. Good Luck.

Post a want to buy in the classified, good chance someone has one laying around from a panel upgrade.

My gauges burnt up too

I also had my alternator overvolt (original plane power) and fried all my 20 year old analog engine gauges. I changed to MGL extreme EMS display with a firewall sensor module and have been very happy. Bright, easy to read and install. Not that expensive, and gained a lot of prime real estate for a glass PFD.

Attachments

• A80A122F-C854-47BE-86F0-2F2365D34FA2.jpg
    A80A122F-C854-47BE-86F0-2F2365D34FA2.jpg
    356.3 KB · Views: 106
Test it first

Some things you may want to test first.

pull the gauge and run 12v across it. If it goes peg to peg, it may not be the gauge that is the issue.

Some gauges get sticky or hang in normal use. I have heard this is due to corrosion or buildup. Alternating the 12v on/off to exercise the full scale deflection has fixed sticky gauges before. This has revived a gauge for me personally. I considered opening the back and putting a bit of corrosion X on it, but never got to that point.

ISS Pro as well as other companies sell gauges that work with the same senders. The problem is they are 2 1/16” as opposed 2 1/4. You can make an adapter via 3d print or AL to size the new gauge to be used with the traditional hole/screws.

Thanks for the tips. I'll try a forum purchase request. 12 volts did not work but it was a good idea.

Back