What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sun N Fun 2022 Advice Tips Tricks

If attending for the day, is there a sign for day parking, or should we just plan on parking at "HB"?

Also, when leaving in the evening, is it best to wait until the big rush subsides, or just get in line?

How long is enough time to avoid the long taxi line....30 minutes, an hour?

If attending for the day, is there a sign for day parking, or should we just plan on parking at "HB"?

Also, when leaving in the evening, is it best to wait until the big rush subsides, or just get in line?

This is another question I have. For day parking is HB or GA more appropriate for an RV8A? I was planning on arriving Saturday and then leaving before the night show.

GAP (General Parking), HB (Homebuilt Parking) or P (Paradise City LSA) for day parking. Sorry cant comment on the best time to spin up for HB or GAP. With P it is right after the airshow due to the STOL competition.

It depends.

For Wednesday and Saturday there's not a whole lot of time between the day and night airshows, and there's a lot of pressure to start the night airshow on time, so for those two days I'd be ready to start engine as soon as you're cleared, grit your teeth, and just get in line.

Other days, you might wait a bit, but I would not plan to depart after 1830, just in case you run into a problem. The south side is closed at 1930 to aircraft movement for safety, and there are no exceptions.

It depends.

For Wednesday and Saturday there's not a whole lot of time between the day and night airshows, and there's a lot of pressure to start the night airshow on time, so for those two days I'd be ready to start engine as soon as you're cleared, grit your teeth, and just get in line.

Other days, you might wait a bit, but I would not plan to depart after 1830, just in case you run into a problem. The south side is closed at 1930 to aircraft movement for safety, and there are no exceptions.

Thanks!

Extra words

Looking at 10 day WX forecast for flying from Kansas to Sun n Fun, out travel plans may be impeded by a few days. How difficult would it be to get overnight airplane campsite if we arrived Tuesday or Wednesday? Planning to stay 3 nights. Alternative airport?

Looking at 10 day WX forecast for flying from Kansas to Sun n Fun, out travel plans may be impeded by a few days. How difficult would it be to get overnight airplane campsite if we arrived Tuesday or Wednesday? Planning to stay 3 nights. Alternative airport?
Who knows. Plan on arriving per NOTAM before daily airshow. If full they'll tell you no bueno. Fingers crossed for good weather and lot's of HB camping parking. They will have a spot for you.

There are many airports in area. I don't know if SnF has an official overflow airport, like Fond du Lac WI is to Oshkosh, w/ frequent shuttles to Oshkosh. Pick your airport. I assume you would need a rental car if you can't land at Lakeland. If you need hotel I found good hotel prices near Tampa, at least a month ago. I have used major airports and major FBO's like signature to park in the past, but it's been years ago. You may want to give him a call and see what they charge for tiedown, but it would be easy to get a rental car at the airport. There is VDF, Tampa Executive, as well as some Municipal Airports. Plan on landing at Lakeland.

Last edited:

You should be fine. If you are coming in Wednesday remember there's a night airshow so don't run late!

Last edited:
Sunday looks "sporty" for arrivals.

Attachments

• SPA Tavares postponed.jpg
    SPA Tavares postponed.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 118
Sunday looks "sporty" for arrivals.
Oh that does it. I guess I have to take my floats off my RV-7. :D
Yep the weekend before the show is wet, but the show weather looks good, fairly mild temps and just sprinkles (by Florida standards) for the show.

Speaking of weather. A week out the long term weather.

date, day, temps hi/lo, rain%, hrs of rain, total rain
4/1, Fri, 86F/70F, 40%, 3.0 hrs, 0.93 in
4/2, Sat, 90F/72F, 80%, 2.0 hrs, 0.38 in
4/3, Sun, 83F/61F, 40%, -.- hrs, 0.08 in
4/4, Mon, 84F/65F, 80%, 1.5 hrs, 0.12 in
4/5, Tue, 80F/70F 25%,
4/6, Wed, 80F/70F, 55%, 0.5 hrs, 0.05 in
4/7, Thur, 86F/70F, 25%,
4/8, Fri, 79F/59F, 1%,
4/9, Sat, 81F/59F, 80%, 1.0 hrs, 0.10 in
4/10, Sun, 82F/61F, 0%,

Last edited:
As for FL weather, once the weather stays in the 80s you are generally hard pressed to find a weather report that won’t show 80% chance of rain in central FL. These are the isolated afternoon pop up TS that will dump and die off in the mid to late afternoon. The key to watch is the forecasted rain amount. If it is .1 or .2 ish that is probably what you will see. If it is substantial higher it is usually associated with a frontal passage or a tropical L.

These are typically isolated storms which is the cause for the low rain fall forecasts. I may get a short down pour at my house, but my parents 2 miles away will be dry all week. If you have lived in FL any length of time you have had it rain in your backyard but your driveway is completely dry.

Last edited:
In my experience (in about the last fifteen years), the real problem with Sun ‘n Fun weather for those coming from “away” isn’t the weather in Lakeland (although those who survived the 2011 tornadoes are fully justified in questioning that statement…), it is the weather in northern Florida that prevents small airplanes from getting down into the state that can be the real problem. It’s the reason that once I moved to the aesthetic coast, I started going to the show via the big orange and blue 737’s - I could fly all the way across the country in an RV, get to Tallahassee, and still not make it to Lakeland for days. Just not worth the effort if I can’t make it to “work”.

So for those headed to SnF from afar - look a little more broadly than the weather in central Florida - this time of year, you are almost certainly going to cross a significant weather system before getting to the Sunshine state…and there-in lies your problem.

Last edited:
In my experience

So for those headed to SnF from afar - look a little more broadly than the weather in central Florida - this time of year, you are almost certainly going to cross a significant weather system before getting to the Sunshine state…and there-in lies your problem.

what he said..

Have fun..

Last edited by a moderator:
We are hoping for a weather break that allows our trip from Ontario, Canada, to make Sun and Fun this year. It looks like Saturday should be ok.
My question is in regards to aircraft parking. Typically we have parked in HBP but we always camp at the pond and that makes it a bit far. Standard aircraft camping on the end of #10 runway would be much closer. Is there any issue with two F1 rockets parked in with the certified crowd?

We are hoping for a weather break that allows our trip from Ontario, Canada, to make Sun and Fun this year. It looks like Saturday should be ok.
My question is in regards to aircraft parking. Typically we have parked in HBP but we always camp at the pond and that makes it a bit far. Standard aircraft camping on the end of #10 runway would be much closer. Is there any issue with two F1 rockets parked in with the certified crowd?

Nope, as long as you don’t mind people asking “What kind of Cessna is THAT?” :D

Other info:
-Firebomber has cancelled. :-(
-Bone arrives Thursday @ 1300.
-KC-10 has other commitments. Easy to guess where.
-Thunderbird 8 arrives Sunday. Team arrives Monday with arrival/orientation maneuvers. Show Thursday-Sunday.

Last edited:
What days are Homebuilt Parking (HB) open?

I'm planning to arrive LAL 3 Apr (Sunday), park in HB parking, depart 12 Apr. That's outside the show's official days of operation.

I'm wondering:
- Is HB parking open on 3 Apr (Sunday) and 12 April (Tuesday after the show ends)?
- If so, can I get self/wife/luggage in and out of the airport through the SNF campus on those days?

An alternative is to go to elsewhere on 3 Apr, then perhaps hop over to LAL when the show is open.

I'm planning to arrive LAL 3 Apr (Sunday), park in HB parking, depart 12 Apr. That's outside the show's official days of operation.

I'm wondering:
- Is HB parking open on 3 Apr (Sunday) and 12 April (Tuesday after the show ends)?
- If so, can I get self/wife/luggage in and out of the airport through the SNF campus on those days?

An alternative is to go to elsewhere on 3 Apr, then perhaps hop over to LAL when the show is open.

Hi Tim,

Arriving Sunday would be fine, but since the volunteers are still setting and we're not officially staffed that day there may or may not be a crew to park you.

The biggest problem is Tuesday. SnF ends Sunday afternoon and the south side goes back to being Lakeland Airport property Monday morning, so there's no guarantee about getting access to your airplane, getting out, etc... You'd be on your own.

Safe trip,

Steve

T-0. It snowed in Paris Friday during our layover, I just got into Lakeland and missed all the fun here. My flight was only delayed 45 min, the early one was delayed 4.5 hours, our crew had a "sporty" time on the field trying to set up but it looks like the worst of the weekend weather has passed.

Orlando weather guessers are calling for some rain Sunday morning, then clearing. Possibility of a front going through Wed/Thursday, but SMT look good, as does FSS.

I'll be spending most of my time at the field for the next 8 days and won't be monitoring the thread until late at night, with no guarantees I'll be able to respond coherently, but I'll try. Hopefully any RVers on-site will be filling in the gaps.

Have fun this week, everyone, but mostly FLY SAFE!!!!

Steve

Last edited:
Beautiful evening with flight over Magic Kingdom, today looks much the same. Should be a great start to the week in LAL.

Attachments

• 4D3E9F72-7AB0-471F-9BC8-ECB68C60C9B2.jpg
    4D3E9F72-7AB0-471F-9BC8-ECB68C60C9B2.jpg
    301.4 KB · Views: 99
In my experience (in about the last fifteen years), the real problem with Sun ‘n Fun weather for those coming from “away” isn’t the weather in Lakeland (although those who survived the 2011 tornadoes are fully justified in questioning that statement…), it is the weather in northern Florida that prevents small airplanes from getting down into the state that can be the real problem. It’s the reason that once I moved to the aesthetic coast, I started going to the show via the big orange and blue 737’s - I could fly all the way across the country in an RV, get to Tallahassee, and still not make it to Lakeland for days. Just not worth the effort if I can’t make it to “work”.

Ironically, 2011 was my first year visiting, I stopped in to see a friend who was volunteering in Air Ops, and I've been there ever since.

Paul must have polished his crystal ball, looks like this week we're facing the exact situation he's describing. Weather was nice today and should be so Tuesday and Wednesday, Thursday will be "sporty", but the good news is that after the front moves through Thursday it looks like we're going to have 3 great days with moderate temperatures.

Hope to see you there.

I found a copilot to ride along with me and share the flight. A fellow new pilot and new EAA member from X04 so this should be fun even if it is the blind leading the blind. We are flying in early on saturday and will most likely watch the air show from the parking area in order to get out at a decent time. I'm checking out the Vans booth as well as another kit company. Are there any other booths or places I should check out? I may also take a stroll through the HB parking section as well.

Paradise City

I found a copilot to ride along with me and share the flight. A fellow new pilot and new EAA member from X04 so this should be fun even if it is the blind leading the blind. We are flying in early on saturday and will most likely watch the air show from the parking area in order to get out at a decent time. I'm checking out the Vans booth as well as another kit company. Are there any other booths or places I should check out? I may also take a stroll through the HB parking section as well.

Stop by Paradise City (the grass field) a bunch of folks from X04 are volunteering over there a few of them are RV owners/builders. I will be on the flight line every morning, but planning on roaming the show after we close morning flight ops. I think I may know who your co-pilot is. Glad to see he was able to find someone to ride over with.

Chad

********Important note****************

Night airshow Saturday starts at 1915, not 1930, so if you plan to leave/arrive between the day and night show please plan appropriately!!

Thanks

Back