What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Petit Jean 2021 is ON!

BillSchlatterer

Well Known Member
UPDATE ... 10/2/21 Less than 2 weeks out! All of the usual Petit Jean Repeats have called IN and we are looking forward to another great RV Gathering! Present count of confirmed aircraft is north of 80 and expecting about 100 by next week. The campground is in great shape and the State Parks have done some work to update the restrooms and showers. I am told the trails are awesome right now, and we are looking for 70'ish temperatures which are perfect for hiking.

We still have a couple of queen rooms, a 2 BR Apartment on premises and a 2 BR House just outside the airport. Grab your spouse, call a buddy, load up those magic carpets and get ready to head for Petit Jean Mountain. and if you have not yet done the OnLine registration yet, which is where we get our logistics counts, please do so. This is important even if you are camping!
Click here for OnLine Registration: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/PJFI_2021

If you want a room at the Rockefeller Center, please use the RESERVE MY ROOM Process and we'll get you covered. Thursday arrivals please let us know for sure via email so we can be sure we have you covered with a roof. Remember all food is covered, all trail fees, all ramp fees, etc. All you need to bring is yourself and a spouse or friend and get ready to see a thousand RV smiles!

Looking forward to another fun RV Easy Gathering on the RV Mountain.

Bill & Various Petit Jean Indians :--)

The 2021 RV Gathering at Petit Jean Mountain is ON ON ON! October 14-17! That’s great news for all you RV shut-ins! :) We just received the final permit from the state parks (3 months in the making) and we are good to go for October 15-17, with an early arrival option for Thursday the 14th. We usually do all the final cutting and trimming and setup on Wednesday and put the final touches on the campground on Thursday but now that has turned into the early arrival day! .... and a lot of early fun on the Mountain!:)

img_2021_08_31_183945_01-92835297.jpg

In 2019, we had 28+ airplanes arrive on Thursday, some camped and it was a scramble to find rooms but eventually we found a roof for everyone…. And we’ll absolutely do that again! Just for fun, we always plan a Thursday dinner at Mather Lodge and that turned into a 50+ head count party hearty. More good news! Now they serve beer and wine … along with that great Ozark home cooking! :D How good is that! Remember this is an all inclusive RV Easy weekend. All the meals, transport to trails and lodges, ramp fees, park fees, firewood, water, drinks, and on and on …. is included in your registration fee along with hundreds of RV Grins! If you need medical tonic water, bring it and share!

So read below, go to the website, and RESERVE MY ROOM/CAMPSITE while you can! Then plan on a fun filled RV Easy weekend on the RV Mountain with 175 of your closest RV’ator Buddies and Buddettes! I suggest you HURRY because rooms are going quick and there are only 80 rooms on the mountain and many are already booked. Campers just bring your own rooms :--) IMPT: The only way to get a room at the Rockefeller Center is through the Reserve My Room Process on the Petit Jean Fly In website. If you call direct, they will just send you back to the website.

General information and RESERVE MY ROOM/CAMPSITE process at: www.PetitJeanFlyIn.com Be sure to check out the Pictures and Video tabs.

If you did NOT use the Reserve My Room process and are staying elsewhere please ... please be sure you still do the OnLine Registration. This is critical for our planning purposes. We have to know you are coming to prepare meals, and provide adequate transportation and logistics services. Click here for OnLine Registration: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/PJFI_2021

Thursday arrivals…. Heads up! Please be sure you have noted in the registration that you plan on coming in Thursday and I will confirm a room somewhere for you for Thursday night. It’s always a workout but we will get you roof, one way or the other

OK these are the fun videos that tell the story! Turn the sound up and enjoy!

Must see! From Paul Gray! This is just so well done, it makes me want to auction it off at the FlyIn but then it's so good, we can't not share it. This is from Paul Gray, our Alabama RV'ator, who missed 2019 because of an electrical issue but will be there Thursday to help set up when the sun comes up! Treat him right and you might be a movie star too! https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=egv1T0EPPDk

Absolutely must see! From Paul & Beth Duff! This is another really well done video that showcases the whole event, with RV acrobatics, formation, feeding frenzies, and aerial balloon crimes! Created by our man with a plan and a great wife! Paul & Beth Duff. https://youtu.be/ngGA2U6iyZQ BTW... that's Bulldog (Gerald Loyd) in the opening buzz ... :cool:

Really absolutely must see! From Kent & Lana Officer! So here's a 2017 follow up with the sound track ... It's Magic! And that is exactly what a weekend on the RV Mountain is like ... Magic! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMcD20sDe1w

Petit Jean State Park Website … Trails, Waterfalls, and Overlooks … https://www.arkansasstateparks.com/trails

See you on the Mountain! :D
The Petit Jean Indians

For more information, email [email protected]

Covid Protocol for those that care: We will be applying standard CDC Covid Protocol for the event as minimally as possible. We think most, but not all, folks will have had the Covid vaccine but we do strongly encourage everyone attending to get the vaccine if you have not already! It's safer for you and safer for your RV friends in attendance. Please keep in mind that we have to comply with State Park Event Guidelines and we’re doing the best we can with what we have.

This may mean our format may be a little different this year. We really won't know until October but our mission is to be safe and have a good time! We will be spreading out tables and chairs in the campground and may change the Friday night Rockefeller Dinner Soirée to an outdoor event as well. We will be socially distancing where able and wearing masks when indoors in public gathering areas. Masks will be provided if you don’t have one. We may/will be taking temperatures on arrival/registration, and those with fever may/will be asked to return home, and of course all fees would be refunded. We do not anticipate the evil nasty balloons will cooperate so we will distance them about 4 feet from the windshield and hit them hard with a prop! It's going to be a great "RV Easy" weekend on the RV Mountain!

Attachments

• Petit Jean 2021 is ON.png
    Petit Jean 2021 is ON.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 356
Last edited:
Petit Jean Trails Update

We are told the trails are in excellent shape. :) Here is a link to the trail info on the Arkansas State Parks Site:

https://www.arkansasstateparks.com/parks/petit-jean-state-park/trails-waterfalls-overlooks

We will be running shuttles at 9:00 and 1:00 to all the trails. That lets you have a morning hike and then hang at the airport for the afternoon ramp fun and flying or just hike 'til ya drop ;)

Printable Trail Guide https://res.cloudinary.com/miles-ex..._documents/40/PJSP_TrailsMapUpdate_lowres.pdf

Last edited:
It's ON!

Everyone missed last year. Looking forward to another great weekend on the Mountain.

Still have a few rooms left. Plenty of campsites available.:)

House available

Just had a really nice 3 bedroom house open up if anyone is interested. Between the Airport and the Rockefeller Center so transport is a breeze! ... as of 8:35 9/3/21

UPDATE .. 10/2/21

UPDATE ... 10/2/21 Less than 2 weeks out! All of the usual Petit Jean Repeats have called IN and we are looking forward to another great RV Gathering! Present count of confirmed aircraft is north of 80 and expecting about 100 by next week. The campground is in great shape and the State Parks have done some work to update the restrooms and showers. I am told the trails are awesome right now, and we are looking for 70'ish temperatures which are perfect for hiking.

We still have a couple of queen rooms, a 2 BR Apartment on premises and a 2 BR House just outside the airport. Grab your spouse, call a buddy, load up those magic carpets and get ready to head for Petit Jean Mountain. and if you have not yet done the OnLine registration yet, which is where we get our logistics counts, please do so. This is important even if you are camping!
Click here for OnLine Registration: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/PJFI_2021

If you want a room at the Rockefeller Center, please use the RESERVE MY ROOM Process and we'll get you covered. Thursday arrivals please let us know for sure via email so we can be sure we have you covered with a roof. Remember all food is covered, all trail fees, all ramp fees, etc. All you need to bring is yourself and a spouse or friend and get ready to see a thousand RV smiles!

Looking forward to another fun RV Easy Gathering on the RV Mountain.

Bill & Various Petit Jean Indians :--)

Will I be shunned if I show up for a day trip in a 172? I have a tail kit for -10 ordered, but would like to bring a practice kit I've been working on and have some experienced builders show me what I've done wrong and try to get my wife to sit in a -10.

I think that'd be OK, but you may be parked a bit down the runway edge. Still,
you'll definitely get to show her an RV.

Warbird Rides at Petit Jean .... Just part of the the Gathering!

What a deal! One of our local members of the CAF worked out a deal to allow us to raffle off a couple warbird rides. :cool: Check these out and picture yourself in the back seat waving like that pretty little lady. :eek:

We do it all at Petit Jean! :) Join us October 14-17 at Petit Jean Mountain State Park! It's the RV Gathering on the Mountain!

See website for details: www.PetitJeanFlyin.com

Big thank you to Jeff Lashbrook, also a RV8 owner.

img_2021_10_08_190736_02-3270909.jpg

img_2021_10_08_102404_04-67527177.jpg

img_2021_10_08_190735_01-92370778.jpg

Hey, who is that funny looking RV4 in the bottom ?? Paul ???

img_2021_10_08_102405_05-75875437.jpg

Hope you can make it, everythings new at Petit Jean!

Bill

Last edited:
Getting ready :)

Had the full team there today cutting, mowing, stocking firewood, and filling holes. Campground is in best shape ever. It’s looking good! Get that magic carpet ready and get to Petit Jean Thursday or Friday for an RV Easy weekend with all your RV friends.

For details. Www.PetitJeanFlyIn. Com

See you on the Mountain. Expecting a lot of early Thursday arrivals.

EAA 165 and Friends.

Update Monday PM

So good news! :) It seems that the RCC has opened all of the rooms for Thursday night arrivals. Right now, we have almost 35 airplanes planning on coming in Thursday, (9 Camping, 26 Lodging) either for fun or just to have a weather option but either way, we will have transportation, a light lunch, and a great dinner at Mather Lodge set up for all that make the Thursday Arrival. We have just over 90 airplanes registered as of tonight and we are expecting to have a really fun weekend on the mountain. :D

If you choose to come in tomorrow or Wednesday, let me know as we have no plans to be on the mountain Tuesday or Wednesday and we need to make sure you have arraigned for transport to Mather or the RCC. We will be loading up at KORK Wednesday afternoon and heading to the mountain early Thursday morning. If you would want to come into North Little Rock, KORK Tuesday or Wednesday, that is an easy option for us to work with.

On your way into Petit Jean, please monitor 122.9 from about 60 miles out and expect that there could be a reasonable amount of traffic. I suspect that we will be broadcasting traffic advisories sporadically Thursday and then starting about 9:00’ish Friday. Air Boss Bob will be bringing you in to PJ where you will meet your plane (not plain) parkers on the ramp… follow them to parking. :) Please remember to bring tie downs and chocks and a folding chair. We have all the meals and transport from Thursday lunch to Sunday brunch covered so don’t worry about food,… the EAA 165 guys are knocking it out for you. You’re going to really like the venue and the menu! Remember the parks are technically a dry county so bring your own “favorite” beverages.

We think the weather will be reasonably good and great Saturday but we could have a shower or two depending on when and what day you arrive. If you need to sit for a while, a couple of good close WX alternates are Morrilton, AR and Conway, AR on the East side and Russellville, AR on the West Side. If you get to Morrilton or Russellville, we will drive down and pick you up so you won’t miss dinner or a night on the mountain. Morrilton is preferred because it is a little closer and usually if you can get to Russellville, you can get to Morrilton as well. The NOTAMS say that the lights at KMPJ are inop and we can attest to that 😊 so don’t plan on getting in after dark! Call and let us know if you take the Morrilton or Russellville option.

Campsites are exceptionally nice this year and the foliage is really starting to turn. Trails should be AWESOME! It’s all good and we’re looking forward to your arrival on the Petit Jean RV Mountain!

See you there!

EAA 165 & Various Petit Jean Indians :)

Check the website, email, call, or text if you have questions!
Email: [email protected]

O’fer Award

You guys know who won the only O’fer Award at the last Gathering on Petit Jean Mountain? (O’fer Award given for missing all three of your opportunities to make a kill in the balloon bust contest). It was our own Petit Jean Chief, Bill Schlatterer. I expect a lot razzing of him at this year’s contest! The fun begins in just 3 days…. The mountain is calling. Come join the fun, meet us at KMPJ, we promise the best RV time anywhere!
😎

Wednesday Night Update 9:00 PM

We have 6 planes on the ramp this evening and expecting a really good turnout for the weekend. 94 Registered/called in! :) Weather looks great for Saturday and Sunday and good Friday afternoon. :) Looking like lower ceilings tomorrow (Thursday) in the 3000 to 5000 range or better with 10+ visibility and that should be easily flyable all around the local area. Come Thursday if you want to, rooms available at the RCC .... we'll be ramp sitting and watching the activity :D

Looks like Friday AM might be IFR low :( until after 10:00 then coming up after 10:00 AM improving to 1800 at KRUE at 1:00PM which is a 1200-1300 ceiling on the mountain. Improving to 2800 at 7:00 PM. :) Expecting a lot of mid-day arrivals, dinner is on at 6:30 at the Rockefeller Center.

For those registered, please check your email (the address you registered with) for frequent updates from the Mountain. Our normal crews will be on site by 9:30 tomorrow to set up. We're loaded up and heading that way in the AM. Nite nite now ;)

Fly safe first! See you on the Mountain!

Improving to 2800 at 7:00 PM. :)

Quick note...be cautious about a twilight arrival.

Reported sunset is about 6:37 Central, but that's for a horizon down in the valley. Although it can seem to be well lighted over the mountain, trees and terrain on the west side of the strip can suddenly make the last 20 seconds very dark. And no moon if it's overcast :eek:

Halfway to Petit Jean. Fuel stop and hanging out in Wichita Falls. Currently waiting for weather to clear up ahead.

Back