What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Firewall polishing ?

Vfr1200

I’m at the firewall construction stage and seen a few have polished the firewall ,,

My question is what are all my options for the firewall , I know i could leave as is and that’s a option i may do but i like the polished swirl marks , rigidized .

Please post any pictures of what others have done

Thanks

Do a net search on Machine Turning, or Engine Turning stainless steel.

A scotch-brite pad in a small disc holder works pretty well.

I came across a youtube video that talked about doing that, all the different grits of sandpaper up to 2000, etc.

I gave up on it as a lost cause. Hope you do lots better!

Used a Scotchbrite pad on a mandrel in my router... slowest speed. Build a simple guide to keep the "turns" in line.

Go easy if you make any heat. That thin firewall will oil can on you quick. ;)

Attachments

• firewall.jpg
    firewall.jpg
    449.2 KB · Views: 351
I used scotch brite pads from NAPA Auto supply. I think they were 3" so I just laid out a 1 1/2" grid and did it by hand. I cut a 2 5/8" disc of .040 aluminum to back up the pad as they were a little too flexible. Took longer to lay out the grid than to do the polishing... There are different sized discs, you can experiment on a piece of scrap and choose the one you like. I chose to line up the swirls, but offsetting 1/2 the diameter is also effective... Do it before you install the firewall so you can overhang the edges...

Attachments

• Firewall Polish 3.jpg
    Firewall Polish 3.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 304
  • Firewall Polish 4.jpg
    Firewall Polish 4.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 208
PM me for pics

I don't have the ability to post pictures so PM me with your email and i'l send you a few of my firewall. It is polished shiny and looks great.

Not a fan of the swirl style for this purpose. Shiny is super easy to clean.

I’m at the firewall construction stage and seen a few have polished the firewall ,,

My question is what are all my options for the firewall , I know i could leave as is and that’s a option i may do but i like the polished swirl marks , rigidized .

Thanks

Firewall pics

I sent the pics to several guys. If anyone else needs them, PM me with your email. I still have them queued up to send.

I covered mine with a thermal barrier (reflective foil over F/G mesh). Much rather reduce temps in the cabin over cosmetically modifying a mostly unseen panel.

Larry

All the rat rods have it ! Engine turning is a sacred motor head detail from way back.

Fact is, I turned mine then ended up covering it with a thermal barrier as well. But the spirit lives on! :cool:

what's the purpose of an polished firewall?

never heard about that before.

Well it's for, um, well you know, it's kinda... um... well it goes well with the chrome pushrod tubes and rocker covers. Yeah that's it.:rolleyes:

-Marc

propose???

What's the purpose of polished firewalls. Who really knows. Also who needs a purpose? Street cred for sure. Just like a chrome differential cover on you 4X4.
Hey it's a toy! Doll it up a bit.
Enjoy life It's shorter than you think.
Art

Well it's for, um, well you know, it's kinda... um... well it goes well with the chrome pushrod tubes and rocker covers. Yeah that's it.:rolleyes:

-Marc

I’ve seen it on a few planes looks nice , just want to consider all my options ,, anyone have pictures of the heat shield ? I’m wrapping the wings up on my build and to be honest it’s been a struggle looking forward to something different to work on at this point

Actually, sometimes a mirror-like firewall is useful as... a mirror, when it's hard to see something on the back of the engine.

Unfortunately, the original poster's solution to getting a polished firewall was to hire it out. His cost was $150, and I think that might be worth it, considering how much frustration I've had with my puny attempts...

Pics

Hey Ed,

Did you get the pictures?

Actually, sometimes a mirror-like firewall is useful as... a mirror, when it's hard to see something on the back of the engine.

Unfortunately, the original poster's solution to getting a polished firewall was to hire it out. His cost was $150, and I think that might be worth it, considering how much frustration I've had with my puny attempts...

Heat shield inside

The reason for polishing the firewalls we twofold. 1) Looks better than unprepared stainless and 2) Very easy to clean if needed.

On my first 7 I put heat barrier on the cold side of the firewall. Can't really say if it did anything.

I’ve seen it on a few planes looks nice , just want to consider all my options ,, anyone have pictures of the heat shield ? I’m wrapping the wings up on my build and to be honest it’s been a struggle looking forward to something different to work on at this point

Ok, got it. Polishing a firewall is just for the coolness factor. That's enough reason for me. :D

Nice touch

Thanks

I like the "old school" look.

Fine craftsmanship.
Daddyman

Back