What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Help me identify hangar floor chock

Draker

Well Known Member
Just moved into my new hangar and previous occupant left a neat floor mat / chock behind. It seems to be attached to the floor with adhesive. Pretty cool, but I can't find them anywhere online. Can anyone identify this thing and know where to get more of them? All I see is it says "STOP SIGN" on it. :confused:

I like it because it's fixed in place and you can roll the plane over it manually to put the gear in position, but it can't roll off on its own.

Bingo. Thank you, gentlemen. Couldn't come up with the right list of google words to find em.

Moderators, feel free to chuck this thread out into Temp or something. I know this was the wrong place to post this!

Last edited:
The "manually" part of rolling over that will take some grunting. Also, consider what will happen if a main goes flat while on that - the wheel fairing might be crunched.

Alex Peterson

Forgive my naïve question, but if one has chocks instead of this wouldn't the result be the same in case of a flat? So what's the other option, Tie down use?
Sanding down the top of the triangles to be lower in case of a flat?

Trying to figure out future hangar options.

Thx

Forgive my naïve question, but if one has chocks instead of this wouldn't the result be the same in case of a flat? So what's the other option, Tie down use?
Honestly... How much movement does your airplane see in the hangar? Any wind? Chocks really aren't necessary unless your hangar is built on a slope.

That said, I always chock mine in the hangar, and I really don't know why I bother except out of habit.

I have a friend that complained his Biplane would 'follow him out of the hangar' if the wheels weren't chocked. Some hangars are made to drain water better than others.

-Marc

Last edited:
Honestly... How much movement does your airplane see in the hangar? Any wind? Chocks really aren't necessary unless your hangar is built on a slope.
Check out the OPs sig - he lives in earthquake country.
Where I am in the Pacific Nortthwest quakes are relatively rare but still that's why I chock mine.

Check out the OPs sig - he lives in earthquake country.
Where I am in the Pacific Nortthwest quakes are relatively rare but still that's why I chock mine.

Oh man, I never would have thought of that variable!!!

My hangar floor is paved rather than concrete. No chocks required as the aircraft has created its own divots in the asphalt. Gotta love that it knows when it's home and just rolls into place and stays there!

That said, I always chock mine in the hangar, and I really don't know why I bother except out of habit.

I keep mine chocked in the hangar, and always thought the same thing...floor is level, so it's just a habit.

Until I forgot one day, came back a couple of days later, and the plane had clearly rolled forward a few inches. Not much, but enough to startle me. Guess that "level" floor isn't so level!

Alex Peterson

Trying to figure out future hangar options.

Thx

Pete - the chocks one needs for these small RV wheels do not need to be vary large, pieces of 1/2" pvc pipe are enough. The back side of the chock shown in the first post appears to be quite high.

Yes, typical chocks would indeed be trouble if a tire goes flat.

OK - I'll bite. What's the concern about a flat in the hangar? Am I lucky having had only one flat in 21 years. And that was on a runway and due to my preventable stupidity.

Last edited:
OK - I'll bite. What's the concern about a flat in the hangar? Am I lucky having had only one flat in 21 years. And that was on a runway and due to my preventable stupidity.

I think the concern is if the plane is in the hangar and there is a wheel chock, then the flat will lower the wheel fairing to the floor and cause the wheel fairing to crunch onto the chock.

Inside a hangar, having a large enough chock such that it would damage a wheel fairing in the event of a flat is adding risk with no gain. In a hangar, even those with some slope, only a tiny chock is needed. When parked outside there are additional risk factors to consider which might outweigh the risk of a chock damaging the wheel fairing.

To each their own.

I used these. From the big A. They’re hard rubber. I cut the raised portions down so as to not have the “flat tire damaged wheel pant” issue all have mentioned. Works fine. Plane ends up in the same spot every time. Plane won’t roll away when the light winds come. Tornado, hurricane - all bets off.

F39875-C7-FFDA-45-B1-9-B26-14868-D313-C42.png

Back