What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon Components Layout in RV-4s

TheFrisco

New, complete, all Dynon panel for my RV-4 is in the making but I was hoping someone had layout schematics and maybe photos where they put the various components.

Anyone?

Looking specifically for locations of ...
- ADAHRS
- AP servos
- Transponder box
- Radio box
- Antennas
- EMS
- VPX

Thanks and if there are some here on the forum I missed in my search, links are much appreciated

Robert

Not Dynon, but I fabricated an equipment rack behind the panel for most panel related components.

Attachments

• 41B06B11-7374-45C3-BECF-7214E09EC602.jpg
    41B06B11-7374-45C3-BECF-7214E09EC602.jpg
    331.6 KB · Views: 302
An RV-3B instead of an RV-4, but I also made an avionics panel that goes forward of the panel. It contains the remote box for the com radio. The transponder is hung from a small bracket just aft of the baggage compartment, and the ADAHRS is mounted just forward of the tail.

The battery will go in the right hand cowl cheek extension.

All the contactors will be on the avionics shelf. Here's the general layout.

Avionics Shelf Layout 7 S.jpeg

The panel's aft face is at the bottom of the shelf as shown in the photo. Up is forward. The yellow rectangle is where the Dynon efis will proturde. The ARP thing is a carburetor ice detector box, and the small square at the bottom right is the stall warning board. The hub is Az_Gila's, instead of Dynon's.

Dave

Yes it’s the Garmin GSU25. I removed my panel and the equipment rack and made a simple fixture out of plywood to replicate their exact position as installed. This allowed me to build the wiring harness on my workbench.

Attachments

• F1CB767A-59B0-42FB-8FC8-DD8E2FBA0616.jpg
    F1CB767A-59B0-42FB-8FC8-DD8E2FBA0616.jpg
    328.7 KB · Views: 216
Yes it’s the Garmin GSU25. I removed my panel and the equipment rack and made a simple fixture out of plywood to replicate their exact position as installed. This allowed me to build the wiring harness on my workbench.

Awesome idea for all the routing on the workbench. Also seems easier to put ADAHRS behind panel instead somewhere in tail. Gotta check if the Dynon ADAHRS with built-in magnetometer does ok so close to other equipment.

Thanks

Dynon, on the certified side, uses a tray that sits behind the screen to mount remote components. Attached are some photos. The stack (from Bottom to top) is EMS, AHRS, ARINC. On the side is the battery and ADSB and a hub next to the stack. Pull the screen out and you have easy access. Sorry I don't know how to rotate the uploaded photos)

Attachments

• IMG_4577.JPG
    IMG_4577.JPG
    585.6 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_4558.JPG
    IMG_4558.JPG
    120.1 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_4559.JPG
    IMG_4559.JPG
    142.9 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_4560.JPG
    IMG_4560.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 213
An RV-3B instead of an RV-4, but I also made an avionics panel that goes forward of the panel. It contains the remote box for the com radio. The transponder is hung from a small bracket just aft of the baggage compartment, and the ADAHRS is mounted just forward of the tail.

The battery will go in the right hand cowl cheek extension.

All the contactors will be on the avionics shelf. Here's the general layout.

View attachment 12374

The panel's aft face is at the bottom of the shelf as shown in the photo. Up is forward. The yellow rectangle is where the Dynon efis will proturde. The ARP thing is a carburetor ice detector box, and the small square at the bottom right is the stall warning board. The hub is Az_Gila's, instead of Dynon's.

Dave

Dave,
How do you plan to get access to the equipment shelf for maintenance e.g. check a fuse? Is the shelf going to hinge down and have a latch or something along those lines? Or?
Thx, Paul.

On the RV-3B (and I think on the RV-4), the top cover removes between the firewall and the panel. Lots of screws but generous access.

Dave

Dynon, on the certified side, uses a tray that sits behind the screen to mount remote components. Attached are some photos. The stack (from Bottom to top) is EMS, AHRS, ARINC. On the side is the battery and ADSB and a hub next to the stack. Pull the screen out and you have easy access. Sorry I don't know how to rotate the uploaded photos)

Thanks for all the pictures, very helpful and interesting how you stacked the 3 different components including the ADAHRS

Where are the transponder and radio box going?

Robert

Back