What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy Fairing and Sika

SeanB

Well Known Member
Hello,

I still need to build the fiberglass fairing for my RV7 (tipper) canopy. The canopy is bonded with Sika and there is a bead along the front curve, where the fiberglass transition fairing will be added. Any issues laying fiberglass over the Sika? I could remove most of it in that area if it's better. Also, does everyone add the small metal clips along the bottom of the forward canopy that get buried into the fiberglass fairing? I'd rather not.

Thanks for any help!

There is an RV builder who painted over the sika section without any debonding. I think he used the epoxy primer over the sika then painted over the area that was primed. If you are using epoxy then I think it should adhere well. Just to be on the safe side, you may also want to scuff up the sika

Windshield trim

I layed up the windshield fairing as one piece. It was popped off, finished then Sikaflexed in place. Two clips on the windshield. One each side. They are hidden under the trim.
I did it just in case someone, someday has to replace the windshield.

Back