What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wiring echoUAT to GTX327

I’m just trying to figure out all the ADS-B options and which would be best/easiest/most cost effective, knowing I have a GTX327

You found it ! My plane doesn't have a transponder because I'll only be flying it below 10k' and outside of Class C and above so I also won't need ADSB-OUT for now either. I have a Garmin 39-3D for IN and if I decide to install OUT later then the Echo UAT is the cheapest and easiest way to go. Plus you'll have both OUT and IN with the same product.

The FAA says not to have two types of ADS-B "out" on the same aircraft. But there is no problem having two types of "in" as they are pretty much passive receivers.

After installing the Echo there isn't really a reason to need your Sentry except in case for some reason the Echo goes down. So why not keep it handy in your flight bag or cockpit side pocket.

I have done numerous Echo installations, all with the GTX 327 and sniffing option. All have been solid and reliable. So try it sniffing first before going hardwire.

The Garmin GDL 82 is also a solid piece of hardware. But it does not offer any "in" like the Echo and costs a whole lot more. Both the Echo and the GDL 82 can provide for "anonymous mode" when combined with Mode C like you GTX 327. That's great if you want to still be seen in the system for all aeronautical purposes while concealing your personal information to the World via the aircraft's registration information. Nobody needs to know an ADS-B target is John Doe who live at a specific address. Just that you are a VFR aircraft safely participating in the system. Then again your personal information might be useful to states like New Jersey and Florida who have been known to mail the owner of an aircraft who overflies their state an excise tax bill or landing fee just because their computers saw you over-flew an airport.

Last edited:
Jim, I'm curious what your thoughts are regarding the skyFYX vs. skyFYX-EXT GPS choices. It may not matter if uAvionix isn't offering the non-EXT version any longer, but I'm still curious which one you have experience with (or both) and which you prefer and why?

Thanks!

I used the EXT exclusively. I didn't see a reason to do the extra wiring and mounting required for the non-EXT. The all-in-one EXT has worked well and we haven't had any failures. We even have one mounted under the engine cowling as is the fashion. It hasn't succumbed to heat or vibration issues.

I have an Echo UAT and ext FX with remote gps antenna. It worked great. I've since switched to a Garmin GTX345 and disabled the Echo ADSB Out. I use the Echo UAT for ADSB in for the AFS 4500 MFD traffic and weather.

Attachments

• IMG_0533.jpg
    IMG_0533.jpg
    240.1 KB · Views: 97
Uavionx Echo install trouble

I recently bought a Echo UAT to replace my failed Navworx ADS-B unit. I was able to get the Monitor app to configure my unit and I can see the X-ponder code change on the app after I change it on my GTX-327. I cannot get my GPS signal in to the ECHO however. I am using the same wire that supplied the GPS position to the Navworx unit. Any suggestions? I am using the three wire method of power, ground and GPS input.
Thanks, Dave

I am using the three wire method of power, ground and GPS input.
Thanks, Dave[/QUOTE]

Dave,

I have the same setup but my Echo has 6 wires connected to it. I will say that I have been having issues with the plastic connector that holds the six pins being loose. If you can get to it, try pressing in on the connector that plugs in to the echo to ensure a good connection(especially pin #6 which is the GPS data wire) and look on the Monitor page of the echo app. When I pressed on the connection yesterday, the gps coordinates popped up on the monitor screen of the echo app.

Of course you will need to be outside of the hangar with a clear view of the sky to ensure good satellite signal for whatever gps you are using. This poor terminal connector is my current issue that I’m trying to resolve. You are not alone.

Beau

OK, so I purchased an echo UAT with the SkyFYX unit (not the -EXT model) because that was all anyone had in stock at the time. I don’t mind the extra work mounting two antennas.

That said, the most straight-forward installation in my -9A would be to mount the echoUAT and SkyFYX in the wing, maybe near the pitot tube, with the UAT antenna on the bottom of the wing. And I would like to mount the GPS antenna in the fiberglass wingtip. All of these components would be relatively close to each other, but probably more than six feet from my GTX327 antenna.

Is there a reason I shouldn’t mount everything in the wing/wingtip? I haven’t seen anything where uAvionix says there’s a maximum distance that the echoUAT unit should from my GTX327 for sniffing. The distance probably doesn’t matter, but I’m asking those who know more than I do about these components and making them work successfully.

Thanks for any guidance or things to watch out for that you are willing to suggest. I just want to ask before proceeding with the installation.

I haven’t seen anything where uAvionix says there’s a maximum distance that the echoUAT unit should from my GTX327 for sniffing. The distance probably doesn’t matter, but I’m asking those who know more than I do about these components and making them work successfully.

Thanks for any guidance or things to watch out for...

Hi Greg, I've done 2 of these installs. The Echo (and really most of uAvionix ADS-B units) sense the squawk code & pressure altitude from the transponder via "noise" on the power input line. Every time the transponder is interrogated by ATC radar, it replies with a pulse containing this and other information, and some of that pulse's energy shows up on the aircraft's power bus. Echo senses this information, so distance between the Echo & Txpdr is not really a consideration.

This approach to sensing the info contained in the Txpdr's pulse using the power line was the subject of a patent lawsuit a few years back. As I understood it, Garmin had a patent which claimed sensing of the same info over an air gap. They sued uAvionix and I believe that uAvionix prevailed because they were able to demonstrate that they were not sensing this information over an air gap, but rather thru the power line feeding the ADS-B out unit.

Your install should be fine as described.

Update: I installed my EchoUAT with the skyFYX GPS and external GPS antenna. The installation was easy and I have it configured. It is set up to sniff the transponder data from my GTX327. All went pretty smoothly but I’m showing red in one parameter on the PAPR in two tries. So I thought I’d post this to the RV brain trust before bugging Uavionix. Maybe it’s something simple that I’m missing?

So I’ve flown with it twice now, and has gone well – ADS-B in data is showing up on my iPad/Foreflight platform. I requested the PAPR and the only red on both reports is the Balt.

First report: % fail at 0.53%, Max dT at 0:00:12 and MCF at 17.
Second report: % fail at 2.12%, Max dT at 0:00:27 and MCF at 33.

Other than the % fail, I’m not sure what the other failed parameters represent.

It’s clearly not failing 100% of the time (I’ve found VAF posts where people have this failure 100% of the time). So it must be working for me sometimes (most of the time?). My transponder is receiving altitude data from my AFS EFIS and I’ve attached a screen shot from the echo app in Monitor mode while flying so things appear normal there.

I’m 99% sure all is working between my AFS EFIS and GTX327 because I see the FL alt on the transponder. And I’ve heard ATC reference my plane when close to Class D airspace when listening in when I’m close - I’ve heard “altitude indicates ………..” when they’re advising other pilots of my whereabouts, and they report what my transponder is showing in the plane. So I’m confident it’s working.

I have my transponder threshold set at 1100 in the uAvionix app. That’s where I started based on other people’s experiences. Maybe it’s too low for some reason? Or maybe I need to lower it a bit more?

Anyone else experienced something similar with a low percentage of Balt failure and have some suggestions?

Thanks for any input.

Attachments

• echo monitor parameters 8-2-23.jpg
    echo monitor parameters 8-2-23.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 34
  • echo config pg 1 8-2-23.jpg
    echo config pg 1 8-2-23.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 32
  • echo config pg 2 8-2-23.jpg
    echo config pg 2 8-2-23.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 40
  • echo advanced settings 8-2-23.jpg