What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Failed Performance Test uAvionix Echo--HELP

Darren Kerns

Well Known Member
Guys
My last couple of flights have not been fully reported on FlightAware. Picks me up & then drops me.

I flew last night and I ran a Performance Report. Passed. I flew early this morning toward Louisville. Even requested VFR Flight Following through their area. Immediately picked me up & altitude matched. Even asked me to expedite climb to 4500 for UPS jet inbound. Everything seems fine.

Then decided to turn and head back southwest to EKX (Elizabethtown) climbing to 6500 feet. WingX on my mini iPad4 flashed orange for ADS-B loss of coverage. Noticed I lost coverage for about a minute and then it returned green.

Had it all the way back to FRH (French Lick). Ran a Performance Report & it failed for Flight ID.

I am attaching my Performance Reports from last night and this morning.

Can someone shed some light? I have a uAvionix Echo with G430W & G327 Transponder. Read up on uAvionix that a loss of coverage can occur. It mentions encoder failure too but SDF was seeing me the whole time.

I am calling uAvionix Monday but am totally lost.

Attachments

• PAPR_20221028_A7BF33_499316004.pdf
    257.6 KB · Views: 143
  • PAPR_20221029_A7BF33_499348334.pdf
    257.9 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:
Flight aware is dependent on UAT receivers operated by public to populate FLIGHT AWARE system. Having drop in coverage is normal due to coverage of the receivers around the country is less than 100%. This is not how 1090 systems work, just the UAT systems.

Since your Flight ID mismatch is not “always” reporting RED, I’m going to say it was random due to reasons unknown . I don’t think you can or need to do anything but keep a check on it by running another report monthly maybe. IF you want to try to change , change the sensitivity IF you are sniffing the 327 transponder, directions on how to do on the UAVIONIX web site. If you are wired from transponder, to EchoUAT, no sensitivity to change.

Is this a new EchoUAT install?

If not, been running fine, Id just move on, but check monthly. Big flaw I see in ADSB, is no way to know when not reporting correctly, UAT or 1090 method, unless ATC tells you, or you find by running a report by chance.

I was an early adopter of the EchoUAT, lots of struggles early on with bad transponders, the GPS antenna being shadowed etc. I believe you are good, just a random error likely due to coverage. Lots of errors when first departing rural airports . You can take your failed report, REPLY to it asking for review. FAA can send you back a when/where this error happened that may help you determine if random or something more.

Thank You Butch

Thanks Butch. I am an early adopter too. I had problems with mine shadowing after the install. Customer support from uAvionix was outstanding. Software update when that occurred & no problems after that. Mine is also hardwired to the transponder too,

I can see what you say about UAT's dropping coverage. My buddy had a Stratus ADS-B transponder in his Cessna & never had a problem showing up. Amazing how the two can be different

I am going to fly it again & see what happens. I am thinking it was a coverage area flaw.

Again, Thank You for the help & advice. I really appreciate your thoughts.

Respectfully

Darren Kerns
RV& N599DT

Update: Performance Report Echo Passed

I flew my 7 again the other night & it passed the ADS-B Performance Report.

I talked to uAvionix & they mentioned that 978 towers are not as widespread as 1090. They are putting up more but will take time. I was in an area of non-coverage.

I also leave everything off on my mini iPad4 running WingX until the Echo connects to Echo monitoring page.

Once connected, I start up my WingX. This seems to really help on not having disconnections. This may seem odd or crazy but I did not lose connection one time on my way home the other night from Henderson, KY.

Anyway, I hope my problems are are over.

Resoectfully

Darren Kerns
RV7 N599DT
KFRH

Last edited:
Good to hear

I made checking the monitor page part of startup checklist. Glad issue solved.

I made checking the monitor page part of startup checklist. Glad issue solved.

Once I get about 70 miles north of the Twin Cities, I routinely fail PAPR reports, usually showing up as a 20% - 60% failure only in barometric altitude reporting.

Not sure if this is a new installation or not but if so, be sure that you have the correct antenna installed for your GTX 327. I've seen similar issues show up when the old "TED" style antennas were used, instead of the newer ones like the CI-105.

Skylar
Skyman Avionics

Blade not required

My gtx327 works fine with “ted” style antenna. Blade style not required.

Back