What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Page 15-5, Step 4: Riveting the Aileron Hinge Bracket to the Rear Spar

MJarreau

Well Known Member
Hi,

We are having a heck of a time riveting this bracket. The rivets are ALL bending over. Can you offer insight into how to install these 8 rivets?

I've searched the archives, but cannot fine anything on this. If it's already been discussed, please let me know where.

Cheers!
Mike

Methods Used

Todd,

We wanted to squeeze these, but there's no room for either the hand squeezer, or the pneumatic. Thus, we drove with standard set and bar. Attempted shop head on both sides.

We're thinking about back riveting. We built a jig to hold the 470 set, thought about putting it on the aft side, using the back rivet on the front....

Thanks for thinking about this!

Mike

I used an extended set and tungsten bucking bar and didn't encounter any problems.

Mike,
Unfortunately, I don't have much in the way of advice to offer. I think I did what Raiz did. Having said that, use whatever method gets the job done--no right or wrong way here. IIRC, I did adjust the air pressure up a little bit when shooting -6 rivets in conjunction with an extended rivet set.

Last edited:
Interesting

Thanks to all.

Stu, We have a long rivet set, but did not try it. Todd and Raiz, we know we'll have to increase pressure for both the longer set and mass of the structure.

We'll try the long set and report back.

This learning how to use one's hands is a challenge for some of us.

Thanks again,
Mike

Resolved - Back Riveted

Hi,

We were able to get the rivets set by back-riveting universal rivets. We were able to do this because my son took the bucking bar for the elevators and drilled it to match the hole size of sets used in the squeezer. Dad was on the bar, Henry was on the gun. Manufactured head was on the aft side of the bracket. It went will. We believe this will be a non-event for the right wing.

Thank you all, for your thoughts!

Merry Christmas!
Mike

Attachments

• Henry Fabricated a Way to Back-Rivet Universal Head Rivets, Detail 01.jpg
    Henry Fabricated a Way to Back-Rivet Universal Head Rivets, Detail 01.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 68
  • Henry Fabricated a Way to Back-Rivet Universal Head Rivets, Detail 02.jpg
    Henry Fabricated a Way to Back-Rivet Universal Head Rivets, Detail 02.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 68
Back