What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Radio Static

Kupde

Patron
Well, I’m hoping that some really smart person can figure this one out…. About a year or so ago I started having intermittent radio static across some frequencies. I have 3 G3X touch with a GTN650 comm1 and a GTR 200 Comm 2 and a GMA 245 audio panel. It sounds like the squelch needs to be adjusted but the G3X touch has auto squelch. Its loud enough that it is very uncomfortable. On long cross country flights it may only happen on one frequency. For example yesterday I flew from Colorado Springs to Carson City, Nv and it only happened on one ATC frequency. It’s across both radios and when I turn off the audio panel, it still comes through the GTN 650. I tried seeing if it was in some frequency range but I don’t see any pattern. In fact it changes, for example, last week I flew into Charlotte, NC and I had heavy static on the approach frequency, but the next day when I flew out I had no static on the very same frequency. I think it started when I changed out my magnetos for PMAGs but Brad claims that there isn’t a problem. I would appreciate any suggestions on how to solve this one.

Kevin
RV-10
Carson City, NV

New problem or problem from the start?

Look to the basics as the first steps. For example:
- Put an antenna analyzer on each antenna and feed line from that antenna. Get a real analyzer from a Ham Radio operator.
- Noise there when only one radio has power?
- Pull the breakers on all stuff other than one radio. Noise still there? If not, such one breaker at a time and monitor for noise. Here such things as LED NAV/Strobes and USB charging ports are notorious for generating RFI.
- Noise only with engine running? If so, add a power supply to replace the alternator to keep buss voltage at ~14.2vdc and see if the noise is still there or not.

If you are sure all was well until you installed the pMag, assume the pMag is just fine and look at what you might have changed or disturbed. Look closely at your ignition switch wiring (if you have one of those horrible things…).

Keep good notes so you don’t go chasing our tail.
Carl

Last edited:
……. I think it started when I changed out my magnetos for PMAGs …..

Kevin
RV-10
Carson City, NV

Next time it happens try running just left ignition, then just right. If one or the other fixes it then you know where your problem is.

Back