What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New Side Panels for RV-7 and RV-9

Janekom

Well Known Member
Patron
Based on the succes of our fairings and plenums, the next new product is the side panels for the RV7 and RV9.

These panels come in a set of six and can be ordered in glass or carbon. There is the minimum amount of trimming needed to make them fit to your liking.

See picture below and also view http://rvbits.mybigcommerce.com/

RVB-RV7_PANELS.jpg

Nice looking panels. :) I see the standard ones weigh about 8.8lbs. Any idea how much the carbon ones weigh?

Thanks!
Russ

On the left panel, how does the tipup latch mechanism fit behind the curviness of the design? Photo please!

The carbon set weighs about 1.8kg.
Below is a photo of a very rough cut I have done on a tip up just to see how it will work.
The idea is to supply the same panels as for the slider and let the builder cut it more or less as shown. One painted one can have a rubber bead over the edge and when upholstered it will look good as well.

Remember that with the seat backs in you cannot really see the area where the latch is.

Tip-Up_006.jpg

Any chance you'll consider some for the -6 as well? I think the biggest difference is the shape of the seat pan, but I'm not 100% sure about that.

How about panels for the RV-10? Those look very nice and one could either paint or upholster.

RV6
I really do not know how different the RV6 is, but at this stage no plans for the RV6.
We have to get a builder of an RV6 close to us and then start playing.
It takes a lot of time and a number of trips from the factory to the builder to get the mold done and there is no RV6 builder close to us.

RV10
In the pipeline :)
I am getting a QB10 early next year and will then tackle it when I get to that stage of the plans.

The tip-up example that these were tested fitted to seen here is my build and both the owner and I were seriously impressed by the fit and quality of these glass parts, the lower panels are magic, they fit so well and are really hassle free (especially compared to what is commercially available out there). The parts are all a dense aerospace quality but extremely light, like the excellent intersection fairings he supplied us.

I am a bit pedantic about the finish of the interior and am so pleased that something came along that works for me and the owner. In terms of how to get the upper panels to fit over the latch mechanism - after Jan's rough cut (a concept that would work just fine btw) I looked at it again and am seriously considering a trim along the molded line of the panel to remove the wall cladding but retain the arm rest shaping and still cover for the posts and mechanism. If necessary the open wall on that side can be upholstered and the opposite side made to match...possibly trim both sides that way although I really like the fit of panel on the opposite(right) wall where it neatly hugs the backrest post and can be trimmed for the WD-617 tube.

As he mentioned the mechanism sits behind the backrest and is out of the way anyway.

Last edited:
Back