What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Best flight simulator software for RV models

I fly MSFS2020 with HP Reverb G2 VR headset which has high resolution screens. Current VR is still kind cumbersome and very demanding hardware wise, but I do have a relatively beefy computer (10850K + RTX 3090) and the results are quite stunning. MSFS2020+VR truly gives the sense of being in a real cockpit and a real flight at, say, 5000'. I literally fly the C172 in VR exactly likely I'd fly in real.

During my PPL training (just passed checkride two months ago), I used the sim + VR a lot. It certainly has limitations, but is of great helps overall. Now I also love to fire up VR to checkout the airports I'm going to do cross-country flight to. Very very helpful.

You can also connect the sim to ForeFlight and the tracks I recorded in the sim while flying VR are nearly indistinguishable from the real flights.

X plane has good flight models. Unfortunately, no RV7 or 7a
So far X plane 12 upgrade is boring and VR is not ready for primetime

I like FS2020.
I tried a few planes that didn't have a great flight models.
The free version of the RV7a is missing something in the model.

G3X in a flight SIM

I asked Garmin Support if there was going to be a "PC TRAINER FOR G3X" so we could practice using it at home. The comment I got was that they don't have one and that their system is proprietary.

I pointed out that REAL SIM GEAR has produced the G1000, GTN 650/750, G5 and Garmin Autopilot products for use in the simulator environment, so what would be the difference?

Contacting Jarrod at REAL SIM GEAR, I learned they are "working on it" but that there's no set timeline.

Meanwhile, a Youtube Channel by Matt C. titled "MSFS2022 Fully Functional G3X Touch - MSFS Pop Out Panel Manager - G3X Bezel - PilotEdge Test" demonstrates a working touch screen version of G3X.

I'll try to share the link with this: https://youtu.be/b_Myq2LJ7qI

And of course, there's VR. A company named VARJO makes a (spendy) VR headset with fantastic specs. It is miles ahead of any other current VR headset available in the marketplace. I'm not associated with any of the products or sites here, just posting because it is getting really close to quality that makes you forget its a SIM. The name of VARJO headset is AERO. I believe you'd need a single base station (most plain old base stations will work).

I've built a replica of the Garmin IFR panel I'm putting in my RV14a. Currently, it houses the G5, GTN750 and the Autopilot. The PFD (G3X) is the only problem I still had to solve and it looks like it's happening. A few bugs still, but so grateful .

Des

I was a beta tester for the MSFS RV8. Don't waste your money.

There were several 8 owners in the beta group, and they ignored everything we told them over an entire year of very sporadic development. They seemed overly focused on useless details like being able to actually see the fuel when you open the gas caps. Meanwhile the thing cruises and climbs like a 172 on a hot day. The RV14 is done much better, just add 10 kts to your landing speeds so it doesn't drop out of the sky.

The Xplane 8 is better, but it's a dated model, and it's xplane which isn't great visually.

I enjoy flight simming, and I've got a pretty high end rig with motion, VR, force feedback controls, and other goodies. It's mostly for fun, but it's helped tremendously with my IFR rating using pilotedge.

The Simworks Studios Vans RV-10 got released at the end of January with a few updates/patches since then. I can't comment on how it flies versus the real thing but visually it looks great. Their -7 and -8 models are supposed to be completed this year at some point.

The Simworks Studios Vans RV-10 got released at the end of January with a few updates/patches since then. I can't comment on how it flies versus the real thing but visually it looks great. Their -7 and -8 models are supposed to be completed this year at some point.

We've worked with SimWorks Studios to help with some "sideline" consulting on the RV-14/14A and RV-10 models they've developed. There are some limitations in MSFS that prevent perfect replication of flying characteristics, but the SimWorks developers care a lot about the quality of what they create and are always open to feedback, I can tell you that.

We've worked with SimWorks Studios to help with some "sideline" consulting on the RV-14/14A and RV-10 models they've developed. There are some limitations in MSFS that prevent perfect replication of flying characteristics, but the SimWorks developers care a lot about the quality of what they create and are always open to feedback, I can tell you that.

SimWorks has their act together for sure. I'm glad that you guys (Vans) are a part of their development for these models!

I really hope they fix the sim RV14 bad flying qualities. Also the plane is slow.

Look forward to trying their RV's FS2020 .
I think there are still some good reasons to use X-plane.
I like to see a new RV-7 for Xplane

PC is going to open far more options as far as graphics performance, controllers, and especially VR. I've already seen numerous complaints from xbox users about poor performance when there's complex weather and around cities such as NYC.

PC is going to open far more options as far as graphics performance, controllers, and especially VR. I've already seen numerous complaints from xbox users about poor performance when there's complex weather and around cities such as NYC.

I know which one I'd prefer to use but it's hard to stomach yet another $3,500 PC build. I'm not into gaming at all so I'm not sure how long I would actually stick with Flight Simulator. Plus, I switched to Apple products many years ago so I have no need for a Windows PC other than for Flight Simulator. This is why a $500 Xbox is appealing.

But, from the reviews I've watched, it seems even a low end VR headset (HP Reverb) will give an amazing experience. Very tempting. Much more research to do. I was very up to date on PC hardware for 30 years but I'm out of the loop now. Video cards (RTX4090) are $1,600 now??? Sheesh

I'm fortunate that one of my business ventures required a commercial grade driving simulator, with full motion and the best components available. It was an easy conversion to a flight simulator that blows away anything I've ever seen offered commercially, at any price.

I can say that I get tremendous enjoyment out of it, and with VR you really are "there". I'm very fortunate, and spoiled. If you need any help getting something affordable setup, just message me. $3500 will get you a really nice PC, and you do need serious horsepower to run VR at a decent setting, but once you try it you'll never want to go back to flat screen.

Back