What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Reusable oil filter

Maybe I’ve been living under a rock for a few decades but this hand tight plus xx of a turn business seems rather fraught - especially given the design of the k&p/challenger. Not hard to see how that can go south if you look at the interface.

For me it’s always been lubed with the specified DowCorning (or oil…) then torque to 18-20 foot pounds. Same number for a regular champion/tempest or a k&p/challenger.
I'd say it was too loose. I've always tightened my S15 to 18 Ft pounds as per the instructions. Seems way tight to me after wrenching for 50 years, but that's what the instructions say. Glad your instincts made you turn around.
If the oring and related gland are properly dimensioned, there is a lot of room for torque variance. If the OEM states hand tight + 1/4 turn is acceptable, I wouldn't think twice about it. Whatever the OEM's instructions, follow it. That said, it sounds as though there may be material quality in addition to installation variables in play. This will reveal itself.

Just wanted to let folks know, I am selling a similar lifetime oil filter which has been working well in various RVs. The one I sell has a 30 micron absolute filtration. "Absolute" meaning the stainless filter membrane doesn't degrade/compress after hours of use like the paper filters do. Doug Beatty has a great facebook write up on the one he purchased from me. I would add the link but I struggle to find it as I'm not facebook savy. But I can add a link to the filter below. Price already includes shipping and if you need a nipple for application, I have been advising my customers to just pull the one off your old filter.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me or send me an e-mail via the website.

All the Best,
Dan
That's not what "absolute" means in filter ratings. That term and likewise "relative" haven't really been used for a few decades in the industry. Does your offering state a beta ratio?

Just wanted to let folks know, I am selling a similar lifetime oil filter which has been working well in various RVs. The one I sell has a 30 micron absolute filtration. "Absolute" meaning the stainless filter membrane doesn't degrade/compress after hours of use like the paper filters do. Doug Beatty has a great facebook write up on the one he purchased from me. I would add the link but I struggle to find it as I'm not facebook savy. But I can add a link to the filter below. Price already includes shipping and if you need a nipple for application, I have been advising my customers to just pull the one off your old filter.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me or send me an e-mail via the website.

All the Best,
Dan
Is your filter one of the filters being tested at the lab? Confirmation of your specs would greatly help your sales. If not, why didn't you send it?

With the inability to get CH 48108-1 oil filters anywhere I remember seeing something about re-usable oil filters. I searched the forms but can't find it. Looking to see what experience people have with them, what the process is for cleaning and inspecting, and overall how good they are. Seems like something that would pay for itself rather quickly.

Thanks!
One can also use the NAPA Gold 1068 filter, by switching threads. Been using them for years in my RV6A 0-360. Cheap by the case on sale !

Is your filter one of the filters being tested at the lab? Confirmation of your specs would greatly help your sales. If not, why didn't you send it?

It's not one of our choices, all of which are currently at the lab. In fairness, it's not really a dealer's function to run an ISO 4548-12 test requiring a lot of money and many hours on the installation below. More of a manufacturer's responsibility...or the result of serious curiousity by a bunch of airplane guys :)

We did include both the S-15 and a Challenger. They're going to be indicative of screen filters in general.

ISO 4548-12 Machine.jpg

Back