What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Trio vs Trutrak( Xcruze)

Python

Hi everyone, I’m looking at a VFR autopilot for my RV 6 & have narrowed it down to a Trio or Xcruze. I’m leaning toward a Xcruze at the moment, but would like some opinion on pro & cons of both, they both seem to have the capabilities I need for VFR. Also of importance is the ease of installing & the respective install kits available, does one have an advantage in this area ? Cheers 🐍

FWIW I fly with the TRIO and it is amazing. It flys the airplane better than I can. I recommend it.

:cool:

I also have a Trio, and also love it. I like the idea of a slip clutch rather than a shear pin. My guess is that they both are similar when it comes to ease of installation, and available hardware. The Trio guys are great if you need support, small shop with personal service.

I have a brand new in the box Trio Pro Pilot for a RV-6 purchased 6 mo ago that I would like to sell for the wife of a friend who recently passed away in a terrible accident. Email me if interested [email protected].

I've ordered a Trutrak system from Spruce in March. Still waiting for the pitch servo to complete the system. Last estimate was end of August after numerous dates promised and then passed. You may have a wait if you order one. System looks great but can't report on how well it works yet.

Yes, the xCruze 100/xCruze 110 have had some delivery issues recently due to supply chain stuff, but things are rapidly improving in that domain and orders are now being filled again.

Our TruTrak flies our RV-8 better than the S-Tec 60-2 in the Debonair we used to own. BIG difference in price!

Hello Andrew,
I was going to email you to see if you had any suggestions for another source or option for the pitch servo. Welcome news from you on things improving (hopefully for real this time).
I have the xCruise 110 and believe it will be a fantastic backup to the MGL Odyssey system I have now ( the MGL EFIS it works well, just obsolete now but does far more than I am able to at this time). Thanks again for all of your support on this site and the video you made explaining autopilot functions for dummys. You're a cool dude as the youngsters would say !

True track x cruz

I have a true track on the RV7A I recently purchased. It now works perfectly. Pitch, turn or track a course from my Garmin 430 all are flown great with the Tru Track. The pitch servo was set up backward initially. After reading the manual, I reprogrammed the pitch servo and that fixed it. Easy to learn but since I did not install it I can't speak about installation.

I’m looking at a VFR autopilot for my RV 6

Since you have an older plane, it might be more likely you have a non-standard static setup. My RV-6 used a Piper pitot/static mast, and it made the Trio autopilot completely haywire. I had to move my static ports to the standard location to get it to work right. You can read the details in this thread.

Static ports

Hi, I have a AV 30E connected to my static port & it works well. Looking at the port it looks like standard ? Cheers 🐍.

Before my panel refresh last year, I flew for 6 years with a TruTrak Vizion 385, now branded as a Bendix-King xCruze 100.

It was driven by a GNS430W.

It was a very capable unit, it taught me a lot, and if I had a similarly-equipped airplane I'd put the same system in again. The new owner who bought it from me has reported that he's very happy with it too.

My only criticisms of it: the LCD display de-laminated, and was expensive to replace; And it doesn't have a magnetometer, so there's no HDG lateral mode (you get TRK instead. ATC probably won't notice the difference)

In the RV-6 it used to "hunt" a bit for pitch in ALT HOLD mode until I adjusted some sensitivity/gain parameters to slow down its response a bit. Having thus calmed it down, it gave me smooth rides for years.

- mark

Back