What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Changed trim servo, now EGT’s are wrong

Stansuski

Makes no sense but I changed trim servo Today to comply with SD 00001 and now EGT readings stop at about 460 both sides, everything else is fine, any ideas?.
Thanks ,Stan

Attachments

• D3B62F1F-95F5-4ADD-907D-67C0A79C39C5.jpeg
    D3B62F1F-95F5-4ADD-907D-67C0A79C39C5.jpeg
    765.2 KB · Views: 130
EMS 220 failure

Talked to dynon today, they think the EMS 220 has failed, replacement on order, i hope my problem will be resolved,out of warranty, oh well could be worse.
Stan

If it makes you feel better I had the exact same thing happen when I put the new trim servo on. Interestingly, the exhaust temp is ambient at startup but only goes to 450 to 460 while cruising. It used to cruise at 1375. I slaved in a new thermocouple and it acted just the same. I spoke with Dynon and confirmed the settings which were correct. If the EMS 220 fixes it please let me know.

Thanks
Bill Gardner
2022 Dues paid

Last edited:
EMS 220

If it makes you feel better I had the exact same thing happen when I put the new trim servo on. Interestingly, the exhaust temp is ambient at startup but only goes to 450 to 460 while cruising. It used to cruise at 1375. I slaved in a new thermocouple and it acted just the same. I spoke with Dynon and confirmed the settings which were correct. If the EMS 220 fixes it please let me know.

Thanks
Bill Gardner
2022 Dues paid

Bill, I sure hope this fixes it, both Van’s and Dynon claim it was just a coincidence, maybe not, I am having flashbacks of the early days of electronics that weren’t quite ready to play. I will post when I get new unit.
Stan

I believe the new unit does affect it, I have the old D-180 system and I switched my oil pressure sending unit to a VDO type, it caused my EGT and CHT indications to be way off. I had to put the Honeywell unit back in. In my D-180 EMS menu there was 4 or 5 types to select, you have to try each one to see if which is correct, the VDO just wouldn't mesh with the D-180 however a VDO type is used for my fuel pressure.

I believe the new unit does affect it, I have the old D-180 system and I switched my oil pressure sending unit to a VDO type, it caused my EGT and CHT indications to be way off. I had to put the Honeywell unit back in. In my D-180 EMS menu there was 4 or 5 types to select, you have to try each one to see if which is correct, the VDO just wouldn't mesh with the D-180 however a VDO type is used for my fuel pressure.

Bob, after hearing that I have decided to remove tailcone and plug in old servo again and test run today, I do have to make a new style plug for the old servo but it’s worth a shot, I will report back.
Stan

I did remove new servo, i did not install old one (i saw no need to), i test ran aircraft and got same 450-460* readings so now i will wait for new EMS 220 to arrive, so i cannot at this point blame the new servo as the cause of my latest issue.
Stan

My D180 indications were unaffected, but my servo is sometimes unresponsive until I stroke it in the opposite direction a couple of seconds which seems to free it up.

Thanks for the update. I eagerly await news on the new EMS. it’s just tooo much of a coincidence for the both of us to have the same issue.

Bill
N969RV
S12049

EMS-220 defective

I got my refurbished EMS-220 today, I had already prepped for the install, replacement was straightforward until I turned SkyView on, I then got the big Red X on the engine screen, great!!!, I then remembered that during the last software update I was also blessed with the BIG X, at that time I was told by Dynon that I had to re-configure the network, which I figured out. Today I tried and was unable to perform that function because the replacement 220 had newer software version than the rest of my boxes (and I have latest RV-12 version) SkyView wouldn’t allow it. After calling Dynon Today I was told I had to do a “forced” re-configure and was told how to perform this function, easy if I knew that beforehand, so after that all went well, very frustrating day but all turned out well, I truly think the key to this is the default EGT numbers stopping at 450 or so. I was told by Dynon that if I had sent in my old unit for repair instead of an exchange that they would have downloaded the correct software version after repair, anyway bottom line is 220 box was bad, just a coincidence I will probably never know,but all parameters including EGT are correct now.

Great to hear you finally have some success. Our aircraft are evolving into computer networks that are moved around with a couple of wings. Software engineers will be (arguably are) more valuable than pilots at this rate.

Stan, glad you got it resolved. Just thinking out loud, I wonder if a forced reconfigure would have resolved the issue? Everything on my EMS is working other than both EGTs.

Bill

Stan, glad you got it resolved. Just thinking out loud, I wonder if a forced reconfigure would have resolved the issue? Everything on my EMS is working other than both EGTs.

Bill

I don’t believe so, the forced reconfigure was to correct the new 220 to the same software version as the other modules, there are 3 plugs on the 220, one plug goes only to the 2 EGT sensors, so I believe the box had an issue in that section of the box. I don’t know what may have caused it but I believe that readout of 450/460 told the Dynon guys something that we don’t know.
Stan

Attachments

• 37020811-123D-477B-95B6-09CDAAA5BEBE.jpeg
    37020811-123D-477B-95B6-09CDAAA5BEBE.jpeg
    586.7 KB · Views: 40
Back