Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Education > Flight Testing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2022, 08:48 AM

Default Öand

Climbing to those altitudes will likely prevent you from maintaining the recommended high power settings required for engine break inÖ

RV-10-ER
N464RL
Going to Paint at Evoke!
Garmin G3X-T, Barrett EFII S32, CAI, MTV-9B

Dues+ Paid 2021,...Thanks DR+
Old 07-05-2022, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel View Post
Typically you shouldn't venture beyond gliding distance from a runway on the first flight.
Granted. Perhaps I should have said starting with the first flight. The point is, you donít need any special tests just to land at a different airport, barring any restrictive conditions at the airport.

1950 Navion - flying
RV-6 - first flight 5/6/2021
1940 Rearwin Cloudster project in progress
4 L-2 projects on deck
Old 07-25-2022, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyoung View Post
Granted. Perhaps I should have said starting with the first flight. The point is, you donít need any special tests just to land at a different airport, barring any restrictive conditions at the airport.
My DAR told me the first takeoff and landing HAD to be at the same airport. I'll have to reread the Ops limits when the plane comes home from Osh to verify the wording. Basically he said that I can't land at another airport because I don't know what my take off / landing numbers are, so I can't legally meet the requirements of 91.103. After the first flight, you've demonstrated a single point for TOLD info, and can legally go land at any other airport in your test area.
Old 07-25-2022, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent4573 View Post
My DAR told me the first takeoff and landing HAD to be at the same airport. I'll have to reread the Ops limits when the plane comes home from Osh to verify the wording. Basically he said that I can't land at another airport because I don't know what my take off / landing numbers are, so I can't legally meet the requirements of 91.103. After the first flight, you've demonstrated a single point for TOLD info, and can legally go land at any other airport in your test area.
Never heard of this interpretation. If you don't know the landing requirements for your aircraft, then why would another airport be any different?

P.S. Nothing in the op lims referencing this.
USAF Vet, High School E-LSA Project Mentor.
RV-6 Flying since 1993 (sold)
<rvmel(at)icloud.com>
Old 07-26-2022, 10:25 AM

I think there's a lot of reasons one airport can be different than another. My first flight airport was a 6300x100 ft runway. That seems safer than taking off on a 6300 ft runway and attempting to land on an 1800x40 ft grass strip surrounded by trees. In my case the DAR just made the bad choice explicitly illegal until I had TOLD information.
Old 07-26-2022, 10:51 AM

A DAR MAY add restrictions in the name of safety. I was simply stating that there is no rule that says the first take-off and landing must be at the same airport.

An example is that if I decided to do my first take-off from my 1500' X 20' strip, I would not be making my first landing here! Of course I have no intention of making my first take-off from here either.
USAF Vet, High School E-LSA Project Mentor.
RV-6 Flying since 1993 (sold)
<rvmel(at)icloud.com>