Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Education > Flight Testing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2022, 08:27 PM

Default Aircraft "home base" during Phase 1

My newly issued operating limitations reference my requested phase 1 test area:

"This aircraft must be operated for at least 40 hours with at least 10 takeoffs and landings in this geographical area: Region bounded by the following points, [airports listed here]."

They say nothing about where my aircraft is based. Can I safely assume I can rent a hangar in any airport within my test area and do phase 1 out of that airport, and would I have to notify a FSDO or my DAR if I changed home base?
Donated 12/31/2021
RV-7A (N12VD): Finishing final tasks for airworthiness
Old 07-04-2022, 08:30 PM

To my understanding, the area of operations for phase one must contain your base, but need not be centered around it. I centered mine around a different airport, with the requested radius containing my base, in order to shift the area to more favorable airspace.
Old 07-04-2022, 08:35 PM

As long as your "home base" is within your flight test area and has entrance and exits clear of congested area, you don't need to notify anyone.
USAF Vet, High School E-LSA Project Mentor.
RV-6 Flying since 1993 (sold)
<rvmel(at)icloud.com>
Old 07-04-2022, 08:41 PM

My home base was a private strip that didn't even officially exist on paper at the time, so no way to identify it. Your base just has to be inside the test area.
Built an off-plan RV9A with too much fuel and too much HP. Should drop dead any minute now.
Pending Repeat Offender - 10 kit is on order. TDI? Turbine? Stay tuned!
Old 07-04-2022, 08:43 PM

Thanks, guys. Just wanted to gut check my reading of the limitations. I may end up moving (within my test area thankfully) before I even start test flying, and will eventually have to re-base. I guess the next obvious question is, how many hours of testing after first flight would you feel confident doing a 30-45 minute x-country to a different airport. I suppose the answer is going to be specific to the test pilot's proficiency and to how testing is currently going. I'd obviously want to get through basic testing of climbs, descents, slow flight and so on before going for it.
Donated 12/31/2021
RV-7A (N12VD): Finishing final tasks for airworthiness
Old 07-04-2022, 10:00 PM

You are going to land on your first flight. What difference does it make whether it's at the same airport?

1950 Navion - flying
RV-6 - first flight 5/6/2021
1940 Rearwin Cloudster project in progress
4 L-2 projects on deck
Old 07-05-2022, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyoung View Post
You are going to land on your first flight. What difference does it make whether it's at the same airport?
Typically you shouldn't venture beyond gliding distance from a runway on the first flight.
USAF Vet, High School E-LSA Project Mentor.
RV-6 Flying since 1993 (sold)
<rvmel(at)icloud.com>
Old 07-05-2022, 07:11 AM

Just as I was about to start my test flight, we sold our house and hanger. I was able to get a one time approval for a relocation flight with a new test area from the DAR and FISDO. The requirements before the relocation flight was to have at least ten hours and to have tested and verified the flight characteristics (i.e. slow flight, stalls with/without flaps etc.). It makes sense since you should know the plane does everything it was designed to do and the engine has had time to to get past the critical first few hours of break in.
Old 07-05-2022, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draker View Post
Thanks, guys. Just wanted to gut check my reading of the limitations. I may end up moving (within my test area thankfully) before I even start test flying, and will eventually have to re-base. I guess the next obvious question is, how many hours of testing after first flight would you feel confident doing a 30-45 minute x-country to a different airport. I suppose the answer is going to be specific to the test pilot's proficiency and to how testing is currently going. I'd obviously want to get through basic testing of climbs, descents, slow flight and so on before going for it.
I played it a bit conservative. I did my first 5-10 hours within glide of the airport. I wanted to see the inside of my oil filter and suction screen for the first time before venturing to another airport.
Old 07-05-2022, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draker View Post
Not being a builder I can't comment on how long is enough for comfort. Knowing where you are, I think if you climb up to 8/9K feet you can glide to 1 or more airports in the area on your way to the new home base, I'm assuming you're going into the valley somewhere.

N455DM - RV-6A - Bought Flying - 2021
Tip Up Canopy
IO-360-A2B
FP 66" Catta 3 blade Carbon
IFR - 2 Garmin G5s - 430W - GFC500
JPI EMS-350 to monitor the temps
N89WD - Flight Design CTSW - Sold 2021
Donation Happily Made!