What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

I got home safe thread. OSH'22

Roy Thoma

Well Known Member
Getting it started since Doug's place holder is still locked:

N174RT got Capt Sandy and I back to Hensley Airpark on Wednesday. We left KOSH about 11am morning without having to wait at 36 for departure. Fuel stop at Burlington Muni (KBUU) for fuel at $5.69/gallon. Short wait for rain shower to pass then departed to the south west, eventually climbed to 11,500 and had a nice tailwing toward TN. including some time with 200kts ground speed. Choose to land at Middlesboro (1A6) to wait for weather to pass in TN, to top the tanks ($6.15) and to have dinner. NICE FBO with courtesy car, showers available, snooze room available. Then short flight back to Hensley (04TN).

Regards,

We left Thursday morning - taxied out around 8:15, sat in line to depart 36 for over an hour while the warbirds, DC-3's, trimotor, and other "special" aircraft were allowed to move to the front of the line. We saw the AeroShell team come and go twice, IIRC, plus multiple warbird departures requesting "full length", which doesn't help the flow at all. Perhaps someone could provide a little guidance that on "departure" mornings, the warbird crowd should limit its comings and goings while the rest of the world tries to get home.

Anyway, after that, we headed South over Chicago, and landed at French Lick Indiana for fuel and a potty break (that hour plus hold wasn't helpful). Then we used eyeballs and ADSB to navigate around weather to home base. In route, we saw the Corvette assembly plant in Bowling Green, the home of country music in Nashville, and the NASA Space and rocket Center in Huntsville.

As always, enjoyed it tremendously, and greatly appreciate all those who volunteer - John, Jerry, Toni, Todd, Tom, and a host of others I don't know on a first name basis.

Back Home

Left Thursday AM, went to DeKalb and gassed up and went non stop to home at 11,500 and still had gas for another 1 1/2 hours. Got home to Lancaster SC by flying 15k over the mountains where Kentucky is being hammered by flash flooding. At times we were making 220 mph with the tailwind in our wonderful altitude loving RV-9A.

Had a wonderful time again at HBC. What a great place to be with the pavilion and all our friends and new friends. :)
Ed

Thursdays

I observe zero benefit to early go attempts on Thurs if you are camping. I aim NET 10am NLT noon with consistent results but have only 3 hours to fly home, quite a bias.

I hit right side of 36L at 1130am, per my usual flow and it was a total under 2 minutes of wheels stopped during taxi. That was to let an RV restart and rejoin from being pulled off shutdown in the grass.

Coffee at pavillion at 6am, refund booth, then breakfast while planning- thurs had dest clgs to come up and 1 thin line before to clear out. Preflight, break camp, say farewells, pull to alley, turn to alley to not blast anyone (too many do not!) crank n go.

If parked, not camped, with less needed, early go may work.

To turn inside abeam the ATC tower, in formation, warbirders happily want every foot for the guy on the inside of the turn to not feel slow and not run away from anyone outside that can't yet be faster. Maybe they were training or doing photos, maybe they don't care and could have done a stream to a later rejoin. I heard the last of them asking full length as I cranked, and hoped for the best, all smiles at DKB for a hot dog.

When I brought in a C17 during arrivals and leaving in post-airshow window departures, I did zero passes- not because I don't like showing off- I was a demo guy- but because there was a heavy demo team that week, so why clog the pattern for my ego's insatiable feeding attempts?

Went smooth

3 ship started engines at 0730, requested 27, and went wheels up at 0800. Eleven hours and three fuel stops later, arrived Seattle area. All went very well. RVs are a great way to cross the country.

We left Thursday morning - taxied out around 8:15, sat in line to depart 36 for over an hour while the warbirds, DC-3's, trimotor, and other "special" aircraft were allowed to move to the front of the line. We saw the AeroShell team come and go twice, IIRC, plus multiple warbird departures requesting "full length", which doesn't help the flow at all.

We had the same issue Kyle. I think the 777 caused the backup on 36. We actually shut down on the taxiway for a while waiting for them to get out of the way. They switched to 36R for a while. The good news is that we had a heck of a tailwind at 17.5k and made good time heading home.

Last edited:
We had the same issue Kyle. I think the 777 caused the backup on 36.

The triple seven was gone before we lined up. I'm sure it had an impact, but allowing the warbirds to cut to the front of the line was what had the line moving at a crawl while we exited.

left Friday morning, northeastward… a somewhat longer route home than some :D

Thanks for pictures (and the rest!) Mickey :cool:

Attachments

• 548418D0-92FE-4368-A013-CBE40BB1F6D8.jpeg
    548418D0-92FE-4368-A013-CBE40BB1F6D8.jpeg
    377.6 KB · Views: 262
I departed OSH Thursday morning at 7:00am, only one plane to depart on 36L before me so it was a quick launch. Just squirted a low cloud deck north of my route into Minneapolis Crystal.

This morning up a little later for my flight home to Steamboat. Again just dodging low clouds and weather, this time to the south. Flew at 12.5k and I appreciated the small headwind rather than the typical 15+ knots.

Last edited:
Hi Chris,

I don’t know if you’ve already discovered this or not, but the KSBS airport is still closed. Stacie put out a new memo a couple of days ago. I’ll also check out your profile and see if I can contact you in another way.

The Valkyrie was camped right across the road from Van’s tent all week, so she definitely didn’t want to move out of the main gear divots when the Viking horn blew that it was time to charge for the departure runway this morning. Fortunately, the Van’s guys had a powered tow bar, so Ed took a few minutes away from the booth to help me to the burn line along the taxiway so I could start up. Once I had things running, I taxied straight down to the departure end of 36, never stopped the wheels from turning, and rolled right into the takeoff into a beautiful blue sky with puffy cumulous.

Set course for a short flight to St. Paul, and am overnighting with my sister before heading out on the long crossing of the prairie and mountains tomorrow.

Thanks, yes I knew SBS was closed and flew into Hayden. So I technically I still have 16 miles to go :) But I really appreciate your effort!

Hi Chris,

I don’t know if you’ve already discovered this or not, but the KSBS airport is still closed. Stacie put out a new memo a couple of days ago. I’ll also check out your profile and see if I can contact you in another way.

Right there with ya

We left Thursday morning - taxied out around 8:15, sat in line to depart 36 for over an hour while the warbirds, DC-3's, trimotor, and other "special" aircraft were allowed to move to the front of the line. We saw the AeroShell team come and go twice, IIRC, plus multiple warbird departures requesting "full length", which doesn't help the flow at all. Perhaps someone could provide a little guidance that on "departure" mornings, the warbird crowd should limit its comings and goings while the rest of the world tries to get home.

Anyway, after that, we headed South over Chicago, and landed at French Lick Indiana for fuel and a potty break (that hour plus hold wasn't helpful). Then we used eyeballs and ADSB to navigate around weather to home base. In route, we saw the Corvette assembly plant in Bowling Green, the home of country music in Nashville, and the NASA Space and rocket Center in Huntsville.

As always, enjoyed it tremendously, and greatly appreciate all those who volunteer - John, Jerry, Toni, Todd, Tom, and a host of others I don't know on a first name basis.

I was on the ground for 52 minutes while waiting for the warbirds to come and go. Filed direct CYOO over the lakes. Finally got airborne, straight over Lake Michigan and then weather pushed us along the shore of Lake Huron to Sarnia, then had to divert to CYXU due to T-Storms. Got home 2 hours later. Great experience and great meeting a lot of folks. Had a 208 kt ground speed at one point!

For those leaving 8am on Thursday, here is the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HycvGGmKzw

Great time!

Wednesday evening

First want to thank all who volunteered at Oshkosh,, they are the backbone to the entire operations ,,

Departed Wednesday evening after the show , no issues , wheels never stopped rolling ,skirted south picked up flight fallowing south of Milwaukee talked to some nice controllers along the way , got handed off to Chicago and was able to make some good time , they cancelled me once i cleared Chicago airspace said i could contact center for more radar services , i tuned in center and the controller was busy so i didn't bother , had to deviate a few times for weather also got about 1 hr of night flight in .

Had a great time this year and met some really nice builders ,,

Glad we got out just a bit earlier. I was the plane directly in front of the aeroshell birds first time around-departed around 8:15. We did have to sit there for 15 minutes while the 777 took over 36L, but better than previous years. Then eventually let us use 36R while the 777 was on 36L.

Larry

Last edited:
Approx. yr 27 flying to OSH, 1st time in the RV

I'd like to echo/repeat the previous comments thanking the volunteers; they were all awesome, and I really appreciated the folks at the Homebuilt check-in shack! When my job finally allows, I hope to join them.

Route: KUMP-DPA-KOSH, and reverse.

Some lite mist/4500 ft BKN ceilings NE Ind. on the way, cleared W. of CHI, but smooth all the way.

Planned Thurs Dep., waited till Fri due to Thurs Wx near Hm. Planned 0900 wheels up, but couldn't get our butts moving fast enough, so we got wheels up at 1030 lcl, got nice tailwinds and upper 140s-155 kts over the gnd, 2:04 T/O to T/D, which will be no surprise to the rest of you, but this was my 1st OSH trip in the RV6 (almost always Cessnas and Pipers on OSH trips in the past), so I was really pleased w/the gnd speed. And the gods of aviation and Wx took mercy on me as I had tailwinds both ways!

I have a couple of questions for you though:

1. being as we were at max gross (also a 1st for me in this plane) T/O, coming and going, T/Os and Lnds were more of a challenge; any comments/suggestions for technique alteration to better manage a max gross RV-6 in those regimes?

2. I noted a small (new) fuel seep on the bottom of the Lt wing/fuse seam on tiedown at OSH HBC; I dip-sticked the tanks at the end of both trips (North and South bound), there was no discernable fuel vol. loss (also compared to fuel burn noted on EDM monitor).

I am going to remove the Lt wing root cover and see what's going on in there, but I thought I'd ask if there are some, more or less, common culprits (fittings) for a small seep/leak in that area, and possible commonly used remediation's?

Home safe!

5.5 hours in three legs (had to go around some weather which added an hour).

Lots of pics and words to get organized <g>.

It really was wonderful seeing so many friends (and meeting folks in person for the first time that I only knew from the site).

v/r,dr

i-bD3sNzH-XL.jpg

i-H6qtjfN-X3.jpg

i-PJT4NnN-X3.jpg

i-J7M4jPQ-X3.jpg

i-rk7TMWR-X3.jpg

Last edited:
I left South St. Paul (Fleming) this morning at 0600, scooted around the southern edge of the MSP Class B, climbed to 6500 and headed for Hot Springs. Didn’t like the 20 knot headwind, climbed to 10.5 and it was only 5! Arrived at KHSR at 0800 local, fueled, and launched for KEMM in western Wyoming - but when I got there, I realized I could stay up at the 12.5K I’d climbed to on the leg, and make Wells, NV, with 1.4 hours fuel left, so I re-designated and pushed on. Wells at about 1100 local, quick fuel, a little vapor lock because it was already over 90 out in the desert, and then the air was rough as a cob (even up at 14.5) crossing Nevada to home. Landed and taxied in to two very happy dogs about 1300 local. Head winds between five and ten knots most of the way, but still - Minnesota to Western Nevada in one (long) morning is really magic!

Paul

Last edited:
Made it back to Ramona, CA today after overnight stop in Rawlins, WY.
Thunderstorms were building as I made it across the Grand Canyon and the deserts of Arizona and California. Glad to have ADS-B weather!

2. I noted a small (new) fuel seep on the bottom of the Lt wing/fuse seam on tiedown at OSH HBC; I dip-sticked the tanks at the end of both trips (North and South bound), there was no discernable fuel vol. loss (also compared to fuel burn noted on EDM monitor).

I am going to remove the Lt wing root cover and see what's going on in there, but I thought I'd ask if there are some, more or less, common culprits (fittings) for a small seep/leak in that area, and possible commonly used remediation's?

There's 4 things I would check under that fairing:
1. fuel vent fitting
2. fuel pickup fitting
3. Fuel level sender if you have the root mounted float type sender
4. The tank closeout plate is screwed on with proseal. Any of these screws might be leaking.

We didn’t get home…

Instead of going home we flew from Oshkosh to Anchorage, Alaska for the Arctic Thunder Airshow, held for the first time in four years. An impressive airshow display with heavy emphasis on military aircraft. Was pleasantly surprised to see an RV-7 and RV-8 performing as “Undaunted Airshows.”

Attachments

• BE5FC629-6258-484F-97A2-D45D565DE373.jpg
    BE5FC629-6258-484F-97A2-D45D565DE373.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 247
  • 170E35C3-F345-41BD-8606-219BE78B7CE1.jpeg
    170E35C3-F345-41BD-8606-219BE78B7CE1.jpeg
    499.6 KB · Views: 227
  • 7558161C-2BDE-41E6-9C90-73A9B2E707F6.jpeg
    7558161C-2BDE-41E6-9C90-73A9B2E707F6.jpeg
    58.4 KB · Views: 216
5.5 hours in three legs (had to go around some weather which added an hour).

Lots of pics and words to get organized <g>.

It really was wonderful seeing so many friends (and meeting folks in person for the first time that I only knew from the site).

Doug, I’m disappointed I never caught up with you. Thank you for this wonderful site.

The camera pans past us at the 22 second mark.

About 10 minutes later we passed through that same area with the same experience.

I had the honor of flying my friend's recently completed "RedTail RV8" to and from AirVenture (with him as passenger).

BTW, looks like he received an "Outstanding Workmanship Award"! (N332RT).

Saw Gary Sobek takeoff several planes ahead of us. He was headed to NC and we were headed to SC.

Waited in the same LONG line. There was a DC3 that even made the controllers mad ... not ready, took way too long to get ready. I think the AeroShell team did TWO flights while we waited (at least they were intersection takeoffs while others we getting in position).

Interestingly enough when we landed for our fuel stop, THERE WAS GARY! At the same fuel stop!

He went high. We stayed low and both of us were able to SAFELY make it home. Only a "spit" of a few raindrops from a cloud that was far away. Many thanks to my friend Ken who led us home with ease.

Airventure departing

I was in that ridiculous line Thursday morning, ATC was terrible so many runways at OSH but the war birds HAD to use 18, wasted fuel for everyone. That DC3 also.
Flew back to San Diego via just north of Denver dodging storms. those Rockies are just beautiful. Stayed over at Grand junction just because we can. Another beautiful town, western air had free shuttles to the local hotels.

Attachments

• 640B0088-2F11-47E9-9064-D5643FFAE83C.jpg
    640B0088-2F11-47E9-9064-D5643FFAE83C.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 250
OSH AirVenture 2022. It was the best of times; it was the worst of times. It was the crowning achievement of flying into OSH, staying in Homebuilt Camping and being hosted and feted by dear friend Mike Tippin in Sleepy Hollow Campground. It was the death of my son-in-law Andrew Haines on the day after I arrived. It was seeing a lot of old friends, meeting new friends and wonderful comradery. It was learning that my body is no longer fit enough to gracefully handle sleeping in a small tent next to the airplane. It was the joy of too many wonderful things to see and do; it was the sadness of not enough hours in the days. It was basking in the glory of the aviation community in which I am now a fully-fledged member. It was knowing I would have to depart Valhalla and return to the pain and chaos that awaited me. Thank God for good friends and loved family members; don't ever take them for granted and share all your love with them. They deserve it. And if you've made it this far into this post I'll end with one of my now-far-too-common expressons: "Thanks for listening/reading; send me a bill..."
AL9nZEXPWu5BZPWvOiKcKqsOturkmpB-n9P6clH82dlThjIULJ5qOZQI2vZKMUwLXDzb0rymd1s1a84GnT93MBNXZexbiwftQkegbbvmx0CpzRVbZIQHA_-wLFB5MNXHkozqNj68jc0Y3EnVjaBXCTA3vZPK=w648-h486

Home sweet home

Bugged out of HBC on Saturday morning around 0730. Quick departure off 36L and on my way towards home. Planned to make it a two day affair but my fuel stop in MT greeted me with 100+ degree temps and wind blowing like the Sahara! Bit the bullet and decided to continued on to home! Stops: OSH to Viroqua Muni (Y51) to Faith SD (D07) to Stevensville MT (32S) to Anacortes (74S). Enroute: 9+45. Consistent headwinds added about 2 hours to the route compared to the trip out to OSH. The ship did everything I asked of her and more!

Looking back, this adventure was the culmination of a dream come true to build and then fly my creation to OSH. Everything and everyone was absolutely fantastic, including the blow out weather on Saturday!, talking with folks face to face (like Martin and his beautiful plane), new friends not yet met and the journey across the country.

I'm already looking forward to the trip next year and hopefully for years on! Make it happen!

Cheers!

Attachments

• 20220725_085224.jpg
    20220725_085224.jpg
    733.4 KB · Views: 185
  • 20220723_173818.jpg
    20220723_173818.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 185
  • 20220721_204010.jpg
    20220721_204010.jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 205
  • 20220726_204612.jpg
    20220726_204612.jpg
    298.4 KB · Views: 205
  • 20220730_181027.jpg
    20220730_181027.jpg
    234.2 KB · Views: 203
We left Osh Friday morning after staying a week. Stopped in Southern Indiana to visit friends for the weekend. Woke to IFR conditions this morning which was expected. Departed around 8 EDT and just put the plane away at home in Tampa. It was a great Osh for us!

Last edited:
OSH AirVenture 2022. It was the best of times; it was the worst of times. It was the crowning achievement of flying into OSH, staying in Homebuilt Camping and being hosted and feted by dear friend Mike Tippin in Sleepy Hollow Campground. It was the death of my son-in-law Andrew Haines on the day after I arrived. It was seeing a lot of old friends, meeting new friends and wonderful comradery. It was learning that my body is no longer fit enough to gracefully handle sleeping in a small tent next to the airplane. It was the joy of too many wonderful things to see and do; it was the sadness of not enough hours in the days. It was basking in the glory of the aviation community in which I am now a fully-fledged member. It was knowing I would have to depart Valhalla and return to the pain and chaos that awaited me. Thank God for good friends and loved family members; don't ever take them for granted and share all your love with them. They deserve it. And if you've made it this far into this post I'll end with one of my now-far-too-common expressons: "Thanks for listening/reading; send me a bill..."

Martin,

We stayed in row 318 and saw your plane. Too bad we never hooked up- I enjoyed your build log and would have enjoyed a chat.

OSH AirVenture 2022. It was the best of times; it was the worst of times. It was the crowning achievement of flying into OSH, staying in Homebuilt Camping and being hosted and feted by dear friend Mike Tippin in Sleepy Hollow Campground……..]

Marty,
It was a pleasure meeting you in person and I’m glad you got to experience flying in and enjoyed your company at the Tippen enclave. I’m also forever grateful that you took the trouble of bubble wrapping your beautiful 8 for the Saturday storm as I’m positive that your efforts deflected any hail that was part of that storm to somewhere else!

Marty,
It was a pleasure meeting you in person and I’m glad you got to experience flying in and enjoyed your company at the Tippen enclave. I’m also forever grateful that you took the trouble of bubble wrapping your beautiful 8 for the Saturday storm as I’m positive that your efforts deflected any hail that was part of that storm to somewhere else!

I must have had 20 people thank me for that same reason... and my reply was always "Glad I could help!" The conversations in the Tippin compound helped keep me sane and talking with you and Toni at length was a joy! Looking forward to the next time.

Home

Departed Osh Saturday am . Flew the lake shore to see Chicago . Picked up fuel just south of the lake then non stop 4:45 to Florida.

Attachments

• 50AC9250-7610-4B77-A9F1-93C5CFBE3F23.jpeg
    50AC9250-7610-4B77-A9F1-93C5CFBE3F23.jpeg
    282.4 KB · Views: 101
  • 28484F55-5719-4D35-A661-FCBD141F2506.jpeg
    28484F55-5719-4D35-A661-FCBD141F2506.jpeg
    211.4 KB · Views: 105
Had to be at AirVenture Saturday night for the Awards ceremony, and by Sunday the storms were starting to move in across Tennessee, etc. Mountains plus small plane plus fatigue means go visit my Iowa friends again. Tomorrow isn't looking much better, but hopefully on Tuesday... or maybe visit my sister in Tennessee.

Better to be down, wishin' you wuz up, than up, wishin' you wuz down.

We departed Sunday morning. I hit the starter about 9:30, stopped once I got to the pavement to do my runup. There were two planes in front of me, and only had to hold for <30 seconds. Easy flight home to Virginia with an hour of IFR in light precip and low vis. Shot a RNAV approach at home plate and broke out at 2500 ft. Nice easy flight!

Great flight home. Departed KOSH at 10:45 am. One stop in Fairfield Iowa and then direct to Marshall TX. Stayed on top of clouds until south Arkansas.

We were wheels up around 0730 from 18R yesterday. No holding whatsoever before departure. That being said, we had to divert around large cells in northern Iowa and eastern Wyoming on the way home. We arrived home at KOGD in Utah 8.2 hours later, which was an hour more than the flight to OSH a week earlier.

Had a great trip home on Friday with only a minor delay in Kansas City to wait out the storms over the Tx-Ok border to break up a bit.

Attachments

• IMG_2939.jpg
    IMG_2939.jpg
    231.6 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_2948.jpg
    IMG_2948.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_2953.jpg
    IMG_2953.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_2944.jpg
    IMG_2944.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 92
Took 6.3 hours because of long taxi to take off and Wx diversions on way home. Flight planning should have been a tailwind with 4.5 hours flying time direct.

I hope this is not controversial:
Been communicating directly with several RV friends after they arrived home. One is sick after picking up COVID at Oshkosh. I personally do not have a lot of faith in the at home COVID tests being accurate. He reports two other RV buddies at AirVenture may have gave it to him.

Hope everyone is well and safe at home.

Back