What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mel DAR question

Larry DeCamp

Well Known Member
I fly alone. My RV3 served my flying needs. Jim Winings convinced me to try an RV4 because he considered it a superior specimen.
So, my RV4 will need an Airworthiness Inspection. I would like to eliminate the rear seat, harness and ELT for solo flight.
Do you feel a DAR or FSDO can agree to that ?

I fly alone. My RV3 served my flying needs. Jim Winings convinced me to try an RV4 because he considered it a superior specimen.
So, my RV4 will need an Airworthiness Inspection. I would like to eliminate the rear seat, harness and ELT for solo flight.
Do you feel a DAR or FSDO can agree to that ?

I can't imagine why an inspector would have a problem with removing the rear seat and harness for solo flight. However if it is certificated with the rear seat and harness in place, it will be considered a 2 place airplane and the ELT is required. You cannot change the configuration back and forth from 2 place to 1 place on a temporary basis for the purpose of removing the ELT.

I can't imagine why you would want to do this. If you are talking about this being a permanent modification of an RV-4 to a single place airplane and have it certificated as such then yes you can do that.

Thanks Mel

Key issue in your answer is “it cannot be converted”. My primary objective was avoid expensive ELT and batteries, but the next guy may have a lady that loves to fly. So, cheap ELT it is 😏

Back