What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

iPad for GPS Navigation

GeneralT001

Is the use of an iPad with a GPS (do they even have GPS?) for VFR navigation common? Is there a service you need to sign up to to get waypoints and the like for enroute navigation?

What do people do - besides reading a map :)

Ipad, GPS/cell data enabled. Foreflight for maps, planning, etc Got it for instrument, keeps plates updated, etc. Still use it now, for situational awareness plus I have ADS-B in, to keep an eye on traffic

Ideally, you'll get the cellular version with a built-in GPS.

My preference would be a good screen, more bright if they differ, and whatever model has the best processor, since that tends to govern how long you can get updates.

For the app, I use both Foreflight Basic and WingX. There are others and you should explore them and when you have an iPad, get their free trials and try them.

I use mine for VFR flight.

Dave

which model will depend on your preferences, likes, etc. I use the 9.7 in pro. works great on a kneeboard. I prefer the size, makes things easier to see. Some might consider it too big for a yoke mount, since it might block instruments view.

Just to reiterate the earlier posts: iPads come in two flavors: WiFi only without GPS and WiFi + Cellular w/GPS.

GPS works without a sim card in the cellular models and you can connect to the network with WiFi, but a cellular data plan is needed if you want data over the cellular network.

I use an iPad Pro (brighter, and faster processor) with cellular/GPS, 11-inch, on a Ram suction cup mount on my right panel, running Foreflight. My cellular plan for is a $10/month add-on to my AT&T or Verizon plan, unlimited data. I use it routinely for flight planning at home and upload the entire route to my AFS 5400 EFIS, and as an adjunct GPS navigator. Charts update over wifi every 27 days, as usual. I found the iPad mini to be too small for my preference.

Last edited:
I've gone back and forth on all of this and have a bit to say about it, here goes:

1. The ipad comes in wifi only or cellular+gps. If you get the cellular model you don't need to hook it up to a cellular provider to use the GPS, but the cellular model is $150 more.

2. If you get a wifi model you can use the hotspot on your phone to get internet if you need it, assuming your phone plan has that option.

3. The GPS in the cellular model is fine, but the external GPS units are more accurate and tend to lock faster. This isn't a huge deal.

4. Most people that use an iPad also connect it to an external device to get ads-b in data. The cheapest ones (Sentry or stratux) will add ads-b and GPS for a pretty reasonable price. If you go down this route you don't need the cellular version of the ipad.

5. What external ads-b device you get depends on which app you want to use. If you use garmin pilot you will need their ads-b box as it works over bluetooth instead of wifi. If you use foreflight, their Sentry box works well.

6. I find that cellular service doesn't work at all at 10k feet, so the weather data is either gathered while still on the ground, or you want an ads-b receiver that has FIS-B and can get weather data from ads-b ground stations.

7. If you get a higher end ads-b receiver they come with a backup source of attitude. It's not a great source of attitude, but when combined with an ipad app that supports synthetic vision, it might give you some helpful data if you find yourself in FU or IMC.

8. The size is personal preference, but I don't like having a huge ipad in the cockpit and the mini isn't really any smaller than anything on the panel, so mini for me.

9. Ipads that have direct sunlight on them heat up, and when they do they dim and get slow or quit. If you are flying on sunny days, you must blast some air on them, or take them out of the case, or shade them, or all of the above.

10. Ipads are nowhere near as bright as little garmin handhelds. Sometimes direct sunlight visibility is an issue.

11. The cables and cords get in the way if you are charging while flying. A GPS enabled model using the internal GPS will go through batteries much faster than a wifi model.

12. One great advantage to aviation apps on an ipad is that they are always updated and always have the latest charts, etc. A disadvantage is the yearly cost.

All of this adds up to mean:

I would take a wifi ipad with a Sentry Mini over a cellular ipad while in flight because I'll get weather and traffic, and it's not much more cost.

I still like the garmin portables, especially when paired with their ads-b in receiver. You still get maps, sectionals (though not constantly updated, unless you pay a bit to keep them updated), TFRs and weather through FIS-b, as well as a box that's not prone to overheat or dim. In the air I think they are great, but they won't help much with the flight planning.

Hope that helps,
schu

Is the use of an iPad with a GPS (do they even have GPS?) for VFR navigation common? Is there a service you need to sign up to to get waypoints and the like for enroute navigation?

What do people do - besides reading a map :)

If you want a excellent product without the i pad price tag, go to Costco or Best Buy and purchase a Samsung TAB A7. They all come with GPS and wifi and expandable memory. The screen is super bright without over heating.

Then google I fly and and download the app and use it free for a month...... https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=iFly.GPS&hl=en

Last edited:
I've only recently started using my ipad while flying. I have an ipad pro 9.7" it is an older model. I purchased a Pivot mount for it. First thing I noticed was those polarized sun glasses are not going to work. I wear reading glasses and I know a lot of people prefer the mini, but for me I think this size works. The current ipad Pro has a slightly larger screen.

I think most people use Foreflight. Garmin has their version too but I think most people use Foreflight. To answer your question about what information you get its a lot. I'm still uncovering pieces of it. You can enter your flight plan, get the runway diagrams, airport information (elevation, TPA, runway lengths and etc.) radio frequencies, current weather.

IPad mini w/gps in a -10. Pretty much used for backup. Not mounted, I pick it up to look at it. I use WingX. I wear progressive lens glasses, can read approach plates okay (but of course they’re only 16” away). Skyradar D2 adsb-in sends wx and traffic to the mini via wifi.

I use a IPad Mini with the cellular/gps option on a swivel Ram mount. I have Seattle Avionics loaded (they had a special deal a while back and I bought a lifetime subscription). I use the Dynon WiFi modules installed on the two 10” Skyview displays. This lets me file my IFR flight plan at home, then upload to the Skyview, then download the revised clearance onto the IPad if I want. I get ADSB traffic showing on the IPad and Skyview both. Enroute, my nav source is the SL30. I can fly coupled ILS approaches from that as well. Next step is a certified Navigator, looking at the Garmin 175 but undecided…..
The IPad is set up to show a different view than the Skyview and resolution is better to see details. I only use it for cross country flights or sometimes when flying close to busy airspace. Seems the GPS accuracy & function is about the same as the Skyview.

Foreflight is very robust and IMHO pretty cost efficient, but I have it for its other convenient features in addition to its role as backup GPS navigator. I have other navigators as well (430W and AFS 5400, as well as G5 slaved to the 430W). I had no desire to skimp on it so went with the smaller iPad Pro…very bright great battery life. I saw no point in skimping…the cellular/GPS versions are only $130 more than the non-wifi versions and the cellular plan is cheap. In the meantime…no wires or cords or outboard GPS doodads to mess around with, and I already have ADS-B(IN) so no need to mess around with a Spectrum thing. If I’m low enough, I get traffic and weather over the cellular connection on the iPad.

Garmin 760 Portable

I Like the GPS 760 for my portable receiver. It's size is great for the cockpit without being too big, it is always Sunlight readable, never overheats, and being an android/PC guy, I didn't have to learn another computer language (IOS) to use it.

-Marc

Back