What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin GPS 175 review?

Kooshball

Well Known Member
Has anyone here put the GPS 175 into their RV? If so, How satisfied are you with the result? Any issues with such a small screen?

Thx!

I put one in this spring and am using it while I work on my Instrument Rating. I don't have any experience with any other IFR navigators, but my experience with the 175 has been very good. The small screen size isn't an issue at all, I do feed both a Dynon Skyview HDX and a Garmin G5, the former having the map output in addition to the HSI.

I'm still learning, but it has been a great device. Installation wasn't difficult. Do yourself a favor and download the "Garmin Aviation Trainers" app and set it up with the GPS 175. It's a fantastic familiarization tool and will give you a feel for what the Navigator is capable of.

Flew training and IPC with a 375, using steam gauges...
A. the menu architecture is much superior to the 430: you can generally get to where you need to be within 3 actions. Not quite as clean as the G2000 [I haven't flown a 1000, but understand the intent was to make the architecture same-as-dat].
B. If i installed one, I would fashion some hand rest: the touch-screen function is great, but not-so-much if your fingers are fat, or any turbulence. Too easy to hit the wrong 'button' area on the screen.
C. I was also using FlyQ on my IPad, which made the size of the 375 irrelevant....

Last edited:
RV4 w/GPS175

Look up AOPA GPS175 and you'll find a video review of an RV4 equipped with a GPS175.

Flew training and IPC with a 375, using steam gauges...
A. the menu architecture is much superior to the 430: you can generally get to where you need to be within 3 actions. Not quite as clean as the G2000 [I haven't flown a 1000, but understand the intent was to make the architecture same-as-dat].
B. If i installed one, I would fashion some hand rest: the touch-screen function is great, but not-so-much if your fingers are fat, or any turbulence. Too easy to hit the wrong 'button' area on the screen.
C. I was also using FlyQ on my IPad, which made the size of the 375 irrelevant....

It is interesting that you mention FlyQ. I have that on an iPad mini but want to move away from it and into an in-panel gps. In your case are you using the 175 just so you have an IFR gps / approaches but navigating with the iPad?

No CDI screen/view

Installed a 355 about 6 months ago. Really Miss the CDI screen from the 430. Capability is there, but info screens Dumbed down compared to 430/650. Would like to see Garmin fix this with a sw update.

Really like mine so far. Linked to Foreflight via bluetooth, and fully coupled to my GRT EFIS and autopilot. The screen size isn't really an issue since I can do most things, like flight plan entries and updating, from the iPad without even touching the Garmin.

Chris

It seems like many of you are only using the 175 to drive something else like an efis or an iPad. Is it really only useful to provide the gps approaches and to drive another display? BTw, how does it run those gps approaches…does it drive the legacy CDI needles?

Installed a 375 into my -7 and works very well. I have it integrated with the Dynon D-100 (HSI), Trutrak Gemini AP, Aera 760, and Garmin Pilot on iPad.

Like the others I use the 760 for the display and rarely need to look at the 375 screen except to select a function and in many cases I can select on the 760.
The 760 integration appears to work very well including approach chart overlays.

I would agree with the comment about thinking through hand stabilization in turbulence to select the correct button/function.
Figs

175 v 430

A. the menu architecture is much superior to the 430:

I have no doubt that's true! :) I'm starting to think that soon, older aviators will be marked by their ability to speak 430/530. Those gadgets were a huge advance, and I'm not selling mine, but the user interface is getting really dated.

I’m really wondering if the 175 is going to be worth it for me…seems I can put a 760 in / on the panel and that it can be used for IFR enroute navigation. I can then just use my king radios to run the CDI. What am I missing with this assessment?

I’m really wondering if the 175 is going to be worth it for me…seems I can put a 760 in / on the panel and that it can be used for IFR enroute navigation. I can then just use my king radios to run the CDI. What am I missing with this assessment?

I am not instrument rated but am working on getting the rating for the odd occasions where I cannot get out of my home airport due to fog/mist. The 760 is not an approved GPS navigator so can only be used for situational awareness, I do have mine wired to the D-100, the SL-30 and the TruTrak AP using RS232 and can fly Direct To in lateral navigation mode directly from the 760.

As I understand it, while I would be legal for IFR with just the SL-30 I would not be able to use GPS approaches which limits choices hence the addition of the 375. In addition the 375/175 can fly all the GPS approach modes including missed approaches and holds etc. (using Arinc 429), which my RS232 setup cannot do.
Figs

It seems like many of you are only using the 175 to drive something else like an efis or an iPad. Is it really only useful to provide the gps approaches and to drive another display? BTw, how does it run those gps approaches…does it drive the legacy CDI needles?

I believe it should be able to drive a CDI. I'm basing this belief mainly on there being pinouts on the connector for a CDI.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-07-29 at 10.52.30 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-29 at 10.52.30 PM.png
    284.1 KB · Views: 210
I believe it should be able to drive a CDI. I'm basing this belief mainly on there being pinouts on the connector for a CDI.

It can drive some CDI’s but not all. Different brands of CDI’s have different output formats for the OBS data. You’ll need the Garmin CDI or something compatible. But why? These things go for $2K. For that price you can buy a mini EFIS (garmin, grt, dynon), display the cdi data, and have an efis as well!

Last edited:
If I really need to add another screen to support the 175 visually then perhaps I should be looking for a different solution.

I have a good friend who got his IFR ticket in a TriPacer equipped with a 355 and dual G5s. He still flies the wings off that plane. There's no kill like overkill, but the things that we "want" for our planes usually exceed the things we actually "need'.

I’m trying not to over do it…without getting a used and unsupported 430 what other options do I have for an in-panel, IFR gps that is at least legal for enroute navigation?

I’m trying not to over do it…without getting a used and unsupported 430 what other options do I have for an in-panel, IFR gps that is at least legal for enroute navigation?

A used, but supported GNS 430W is one option.

Virtually none. The high cost of a TSO keeps even lower-cost approved navigators expensive. However, the following technique seems to work about 85% of the time, for enroute: You, enroute to Smithville, 500 nm away, in your airplane with vor navigation and a $200 handheld gps. You’re airborn on the airway, you consult your gps, then call center. “Center, how about a radar vector direct Smithville, on, say, a 110 heading?” Center knows what’s going on, but they have to watch you anyway, so they’ll usually approve the request. Then ‘cheat’ and use the gps to make small corrections as needed.

There is a prior thread on low cost approved GPS navigator options, net result is the 175 is hard to beat at $4K.
Figs

Does anyone know a setting on the 175 that will effectively allow it to automatically keep synced with the bluetooth connected Garmin Pilot app on an ipad?

Right now any flight plan changes I make on the ipad have to be sent to the 175 by pressing a prompt on Garmin Pilot (ipad), then I have to acknowledge a message on the 175 showing receipt of the new Flight Plan from iPad, and then accept the change.

I would really like the 175 to automatically accept route changes made on Garmin Pilot with minimal to no effort.

The idea is to have my seat in full recline mode, with cool drink in hand, and work navigation solely with iPad and no contact with the 175 box. :D

I have a 375 but I believe there is a function to automatically import a flight plan over connext (bluetooth). I think you have to accept it on the navigator.
Figs

GPS175

I have the GPS175 tied into the G3X…. Love it. The G3X has a huge screen to display approach plates and routes. Super easy to use once you understand the logic.

Does anyone know a setting on the 175 that will effectively allow it to automatically keep synced with the bluetooth connected Garmin Pilot app on an ipad?

Right now any flight plan changes I make on the ipad have to be sent to the 175 by pressing a prompt on Garmin Pilot (ipad), then I have to acknowledge a message on the 175 showing receipt of the new Flight Plan from iPad, and then accept the change.

I would really like the 175 to automatically accept route changes made on Garmin Pilot with minimal to no effort.

The idea is to have my seat in full recline mode, with cool drink in hand, and work navigation solely with iPad and no contact with the 175 box. :D

I don't believe that's possible, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was done that way on purpose. I'm not sure that behavior would be allowed from a certified navigator, since it could theoretically transfer control of the flight to whoever happens to have a bluetooth connection to the unit.

After my first long IFR trip in in my 9A with the GPS 175, I was already very impressed at the ease of use, and if I have to tap the screen twice to load a flight plan change, so be it.

Chris

So checked the 375 yesterday and if you update the flight plan on the garmin pilot it does send the update to the 375 but you have to preview and accept the flight plan changes on the navigator.

In addition I discovered when flying to a friends private airport (53OK) that the navigation database in the 375 did not have this airport in its database but it was in the navigation database on the Aera 760 (and the prior 796). Not sure why this is missing as I assumed they would be built from the same source data.
Figs

Just in process of installing this. Does the configuration module need to stay plugged in or can you remove it after you configure the g175?

If you do keep it attached, where do you put it, attach it, or do you just leave it hanging off the back wire harness/tape it?

Just in process of installing this. Does the configuration module need to stay plugged in or can you remove it after you configure the g175?

If you do keep it attached, where do you put it, attach it, or do you just leave it hanging off the back wire harness/tape it?

You mean the little one with the tiny wires? It stays attached. There's a spot in the connector backshell to tuck it in so it stays in place.

I have no doubt that's true! :) I'm starting to think that soon, older aviators will be marked by their ability to speak 430/530. Those gadgets were a huge advance, and I'm not selling mine, but the user interface is getting really dated.

Or the older aviators will wear the “I flew IFR with steam gauges and spinning iron gyros” badge of honor. For me, I would die trying to fly a old school six pack.

Years ago I waited until the RV-10 was done (dual SkyView install) to get my IFR ticket. The examiner never before saw a glass panel…..

To the OP question - I built two RVs with dual SkyViews and a GTN-650. The GTN-650 work as advertised but I consider it below par for the cost. For the new RV-10, comparing capability the GNC-355 seems a much better value. Hopefully I can pair it with the new Trig TX56 NAV/Comm.

Carl

Hopefully I can pair it with the new Trig TX56 NAV/Comm.

Carl, any news on whether the Trig Nav/Com is shipping or when it will be available. Their web site says subject to an extended delay. Would be nice if it were available. Thanks.

A used, but supported GNS 430W is one option.

supported, but for how long? the 430 has been out of production for what, 13 years now? how much longer do you think garmin will have parts to keep them working? hint, the answer is not much longer. that's why the price of repairs have been ratcheting up, they want them replaced not fixed.

A new install of a 430 is a bad decision. it was a great unit, and still is, as long as its working, but its days are numbered. do not consider a new install of one.

bob burns
RV-4 N82RB

Yes, you need to keep it. It performs the important function of not allowing you to share a hangar-neighbor's data card.

Nice, I was wondering about not connecting that little card, gives an error but think it still works fine as far as navigation. I have a ki206 and a ki209 composite cdi, anyone using a composite cdi? A lot less wiring but looks like you lose a to from indication? The 209 is much nicer than my 206 but like the idea of the to from indicator

In addition I discovered when flying to a friends private airport (53OK) that the navigation database in the 375 did not have this airport in its database but it was in the navigation database on the Aera 760 (and the prior 796).

I'm just guessing here but I doubt your friend has a published RNAV approach into his/her private airstrip. While 53OK shows up on chart pages/screens an IFR navigator database may not include airports that do not have instrument procedures.

Back