What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Heat shrink on G3X connectors?

LettersFromFlyoverCountry

Well Known Member
Can anyone tell me what the deal is with the heat shrink covering the connectors going to the G3X connector on the fuse panel?

I would think that has to come off in order to insert it into the connector per instructions (42MiS/U-14 step 2). But I also think it's there for a reason so I'm taking a time out to clarify. SteinAir wasn't sure and Van's hasn't gotten back to me yet.

PXL_20220615_230422288.jpg

I've done this to protect the connectors while routing the cable into the airframe. My guess is that's what going on here. Noting the written numbers from your photo, there is possibly some identification as well.

I'd wait until the cables are in place to remove the heat shrink one at a time to insert into the connector.

Maybe it was just used to allow marking of the wires. A little strange but when the only tool you have is a hammer...

I've done this to protect the connectors while routing the cable into the airframe. My guess is that's what going on here. Noting the written numbers from your photo, there is possibly some identification as well.

I'd wait until the cables are in place to remove the heat shrink one at a time to insert into the connector.

Thank you, Ron. I actually added the writing on the heat shrink as part of my FOR GOODNESS SAKE DON'T PUT THE WIRES IN THE WRONG SLOT ON THAT CONNECTOR program, even though there were wire numbers upstream.

Anyway, thank you for the advice. The heatshrink is off and the wires are in the connector (I checked four times each wire to be sure they were in the right slot).

B

Bob,

I know the feeling. When I installed the FreeFlight ADS-B in my 12 eight years ago I think I checked the connections at least 5 times before the “smoke test”. At least it paid off since it worked.

For those with the D180 there is one other potential mistake you can make. There are two 25 pin connectors in the avionics bay with cables long enough to inadvertently swap. I made that mistake in my last annual. Fortunately it didn’t damage anything, but my starter solenoid would not pick up when I turned the key which is how I figured it out. One cable is for EGT and some other indications. I can’t remember what the other was labeled.

Rich

Back