What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Soldering iron

FlyGuy65

Well Known Member
Weller just died. Last thread is pretty old. Any recommendations? Is “ESD safe” worth spending big bucks for?

Thanks!

I've gone through a few over the past 15 years. I know this sounds off, but I love the butane iron by Dremel, tips are solid, heats up very fast and also allows for other tips to be used as a torch, heat shrink and more.

I've never seen the need for ESD irons unless you're planning to solder on complex electrical assemblies with ESD sensitive parts (like BGAs on a motherboard)

See if you can find a metcal. Model PS2E-01 Is what I have. Has instantly replaceable tips. I believe it is a high frequency driven system. The small needle tips makes soldering the smallest sub connectors

Xytronic LF-1600 Intelligent Soldering Station.

Digital temperature control - heats up in 20 seconds - really good.

Another thing I didn't know that I can't live without :D

Well, guess what... same here ;)

PS
Recently bought one of those green Weller station, thinking it was pretty slick. Guess what, the plastic used must be releasing highly toxic substances, stinks like ****, and spends its time next to the window in my workshop :mad:
On the outside that is...

The open-source TS100 is quite good. There are many variants on eBay.

When I building I had a cheapo weller and other irons that simply act as a resistor. The TS100 like any other decent solder iron has a thermostat that keeps the temperature stable. I now use a TS100 when building my quadcopters and it is night and day. I can't believe I used resistor type irons in the past. As soon as a resistor type touches the solder or metal all of the heat sinks out of it making it much harder to use. With a TS100 you can adjust the temp depending on the size of the pad or wire you are trying to solder. Soldering two wires together is pretty easy but when you start soldering components or pads on a PCB it gets a little trickier. Highly recommend the TS100.

KSGER using T12 tips

A friend posted his reviews of various choices and talked me into the Hakko as well. It's worked great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65iVZ1wlG_8

Last summer I bought an open source TSGER which uses the same Hakko T12 tips (or the clones). Absolutely fantastic.
https://www.rchelicopterfun.com/t12-soldering-station.html

Stock can be found via the usual suspects (Amazon, Banggood, Aliexpress).

I have also used a Radio Shack (don't laugh) portable soldering iron for the rare times I need one in tight spaces:
https://www.amazon.com/RadioShack-Cordless-Battery-Powered-Soldering-Iron/dp/B01N43YVGZ

The advantage for the TS100 when flying my RC stuff is I can solder in the field with the same 6s battery used to power my quadcopter.

See if you can find a metcal. Model PS2E-01 Is what I have. Has instantly replaceable tips. I believe it is a high frequency driven system. The small needle tips makes soldering the smallest sub connectors

+1 for Metcal .. best system I’ve ever used

Bought a Yihua 882D on Amazon for $57.00
Soldering Iron + Hot Air gun. Managed do do a little SMT work with it.

Use it at my vacation home, works really well and is compact. I have a fancier version in my shop. My Weller died after 42 years and a few parts replacements.... they just don't make things the way they used to!

VV

Last edited:
:)
RC stuff is I can solder in the field with the same 6s battery used to power my quadcopter

No confusion please ;) Quad or Whatevercopter ain't no RC, better call 'em robotic or drone flying. No need for pilot, just an operator :eek:
Though I still agree on the advantages of the TS-100 ;)

Last edited:
Weller just died. Last thread is pretty old. Any recommendations? Is “ESD safe” worth spending big bucks for?

Thanks!

I have an Ungar 9900 ESD variable heat soldering station that I’ve had for years. Don’t know if they are still available, but I’ve been very pleased with mine.

Back