What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Generic Instrument Panel

gblwy

Well Known Member
Anyone with a relatively recent kit got a "Generic Instrument Panel" that they no longer need? It is referenced in plans page 28A-11. I'm assuming this temporary panel is 40 thou thick like the permanent one, and could be used for either left or right hand sides as I think these are mirror images.

I want to replace my right hand panel so need one without any cutouts. I cannot find such a beast in the Vans Aircraft shop.

Thanks...Keith

The instrument panel is 0.063" thick. Van's does not sell a blank one. Just buy a sheet of aluminum and use the old panel as a pattern. A vixen file works great for final shaping. My favorite vixen file is 3/4" wide and has 14 teeth per inch. Coarser files leave a rougher edge.

I asked Van's about this a couple years back. I was hoping to make a new panel section and install it, rather than having to remove the old one, make a new one from it, then install the new one.

They had no idea what I was talking about and told me there was no such part.

A-Cad

I laid mine out with Autocad and had a local waterjet shop cut one out, worked out pretty well and was relatively simple IMO

Back