What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-3 Which Oil Filter Adapter?

Cloudboy

I would like to replace the oil screen on the 0-320-E2D in my RV-3 with a filter. As everyone knows, there is not much room. Randy Lervold's build site indicates he used a B&C adaptor with the 1.4 inch extension. But B&C's website says it will not fit an RV-3. Paul Dye's photos show an angle adaptor but it is not identified as far as I can tell. I would appreciate details of what works and what doesn't work if anyone has experience.

One more input

I worked with B&C . They were very helpful, but all combinations of adaptors and spacers will not clear the mount. Soo, I machined an adaptor to the acc. Case for remote filter. Jegs filter bracket on firewall draining down for removal). TS flightlines hoses and Wix/Napa 1515 filter. Worked perfect for 250hr.

Another option is Lycoming/Superior adaptor that needs a recess in the firewall. David RV3 in Boulder can help with that.

Lycoming Oil Filter Adapter

Here's a view of the Lycoming oil filter in place:

Oil Filter Position, Lycoming's S.jpg

After considering things, I decided to attempt to install Airwolf's remote filter instead. Mine is going on the left side, and at this time I don't have the hoses worked out yet. Here's the data I used to develop the recess geometry for the Lycoming adapter - the stock Van's recess won't fit this plus a governor.

Firewall Recess Data S.jpg

I started with Van's standard recess but extended it using .020 grade 2 titanium from McMaster. I found that material to be not much more difficult than aluminum. If it were the aerospace grade 5 it would have been much more difficult.

This shows the remote filter adapter. The plastic thing is an acrylic dummy firewall, a firewall simulator. The hole in it is the opening for the recess that I have. It's big enough so I am mounting the cabin heat valve in it.

Remote Filter, Gascolator On DFW S.jpg

Dave

Auto Firewall Filter

I added a remote oil filter from JEGs (I believe) which worked well on my RV-3A renovation.

Doug Lomheim
RV-3A sold
RV-9A FWF / Mazda 13B

More info

I used the B & C adapter with 1.4" spacer. The standard type aero oil filter did not clear the engine mount tube by about 1/8" so I went with a reusable type with a smaller diameter.

Russell

Attachments

• IMG_4390.jpg
    IMG_4390.jpg
    711.3 KB · Views: 87
Oil filter

I installed a remote oil filter and find oil filter changes a piece of cake. The oil filter is on the RHS with lots of room. I also use a A$9.50 oil filter Ryco z9 which works well and has a lot more filter area than my first aviation approved filter
Steve
RV3B built & flying like bird.

Here is where I put the remote-mount oil filter in my former RV-3B. Not a lot of room to work with but I also had the stock straight firewall without a recess like David did. I mixed and matched various AirWolf components, brakets and adapters I had collected over time.

Attachments

• 20200523_095417 (Small).jpg
    20200523_095417 (Small).jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 101
  • 20200705_094826 (Small).jpg
    20200705_094826 (Small).jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 90
Thanks for all the ideas. Clearly there is more than one solution. I'm lazy and not a machinist so the simplest solution would be best. I called Bill at Casper Labs. He is optimistic he has the parts I would need and asked me to send pictures looking down vertically at the oil screen. He estimates his adaptors have worked on 30 RV-3's. That will be my first try before I start measuring up for a remote filter.

Casper adapter installation

Included is a pic of the Casper Labs adapter with a 1.5" extension on my RV-3 with O320 E2A. I use K&N HP 1002 filters.

Attachments

• 0913181941.jpg
    0913181941.jpg
    972.5 KB · Views: 61
Back