What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How to get a clean cut with snips

mcencula

Well Known Member
Okay, so with this post, I'm basically "outing" myself as someone who didn't know how to cut metal with snips for a long time. Sure I could make a cut, but I always ended up with a wavy edge requiring excessive sanding and/or filing. Another builder showed me this approach to get much better results and I'm passing it along in case it can help anyone here who is as dense as me.

After laying out your cut line, make an initial cut about 1/8" to 3/16" away from that line as I'm doing here. Make sure that the blade which is supporting the piece you want to keep is laying flat against the material.
20210815-01-tn.jpg

Next, trim away half to two thirds of the excess. As before, make sure the blade on the side of the "keep" part is flat against the surface of the material.
20210815-02-tn.jpg

Lastly, cut on the line, of course keeping the blade on the "keep" side of the line flat against the material. Note the neat, undistorted edge.
20210815-03-tn.jpg

If you've done it right, the scrap material will curl into a spiral. This approach takes more time, but yields superior results as compared with making the first (and last) cut on your line.
20210815-04-tn.jpg

Additional tips:
  • On thin material, (say .016 or maybe .020) it may only be necessary to make one preliminary cut about 1/16" away from the line before making a final cut. On thicker material, creeping up in three cuts improves the results.
  • I like to use bypass snips like these instead of the in-line ones. They're especially beneficial when cutting thicker material.
  • When I bought these shears, they had little "serrations" on the edge that left marks on the aluminum. I took them apart, ground those off, and they cut like a dream now. When cutting forces get high, I take them apart and do a quick sharpening job on the grinder.

Hope someone finds this useful. If you have additional thoughts, please feel free to reply below.

Have fun!

Thanks for the tip! I have never been satisfied with my cuts with those snips. Looking forward to trying this technique.

I'm convinced Ron Covell is a sheet metal wizard. He has a great video on using snips.

I want to be like Ron Covell when I grow up. I signed up for the metal bash and will be seeing him in Oct. It would be cool if I saw other aviators there. Check his youtube channel for the dates and signup for an upcoming meetup.

not trying to be contrary or a thread grabber but honestly, why use snips if a bandsaw is available? 2 builds and i don't think i cut 2' with snips.

this is good to know. I have a bandsaw, but have snips as a backup. When I did my empennage build at a builder assist place, I don't think I used the snips once. Was wondering if that applies to the rest of the build.

Snips & nibblers

If I didn't have all the power tools, snips and nibblers would be fine. Nibblers leave some pretty big tooling edges so cut way outside and file to final dimension.
Snips are fine but the band saw is so much faster and precise. Far less filing and or grinding.
The video is very good. That's how to use them.

If you can hold the part, then use a band saw. If the part is too big to control, then use a hand held jig saw....... It's all in the blade you choose.... Use between 18 to 36 teeth per inch. (T.P.I.) It is good to have at least a three tooth contact on the cutting surface AND use slow speeds.

For real tight turns, you can GRIND off the back 1/2 of the jig saw blade. Grind slowly and keep the blade cool by dipping it in water every few seconds.

Back