What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

C-Frame Riveting

RV701775

I recently purchased the mod kit for my Avery C-Frame to allow me to rivet using a 12" back rivet set. Now the base of my set will accept a standard cup set for a rivet gun. I see how this can work with universal head rivets and small components held by hand, but how can I use the C-frame to back rivet flush rivets on large control surfaces? I see two options:

1. Build a table that is the same height as a mushroom set placed in the base of the C-frame
2) Build a very ridged table that goes over the C-frame without a hole where I can lay a full-sized back rivet plate.

Any advise or options from people who have done this would be appreciated.

I just shimmed the work to the same level as the flat set using blankets, shot bags, etc..
and backriveted away. I backriveted most of my RV10 tailcone.

Could

You could but using a back riveting plate and back rivet set for gun would be a better set up.

Using the c frame would need some careful setup to ensure the part doesn’t move. Back riveting set is the easiest riveting you’ll do

Back riveting

I have not done it with a C-Frame but did something very similar with a gun. Concept is the same. See link.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7hyZ-sKQmtrU3JKbDQwMW1xc2M
Basically the part is positioned over the back rivet surface with blocks and a material like soft foam. The end of the shop side should not be touching the set. The foam should give enough so the part moves down and the rivet can set as the gun pushes it down. The gun is used to apply downward pressure and to set the rivet. Works great. I've also done it with the factory side on the bottom but it's tricky to set up so the rivet doesn't fall out.

Thanks everyone. My main thought is to use this approach on the trailing edge of the rudder to partially set the rivets initially with the TE laying flat. I was concerned about using a spring loaded back rivet set since the rivet will not be perpendicular to the top skin.

The first video on their website under Back Rivet Set 12" shows some techniques.

I like the table kit they sell. All parts are there, no time wasted searching, good quality. However, as far as I know, you're still limited by what you can fit into the C-frame, 3" or so. Just starting the top wing skin myself and anticipate using the 12" backset and standard bucking bar. And I have used the 12" extension on the aileron stiffeners (standard metal plate, no C-Frame), particularly the 2 rivets closest to the fold.

link is to their video, but you can get there from the Cleveland website also.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=72&v=K1CV8Da3fAQ&feature=emb_title

You could but using a back riveting plate and back rivet set for gun would be a better set up.

Back riveting set is the easiest riveting you’ll do

He is backriveting but using a c frame instead of a plate. Mushroom in the bottom and back rivet set on top. It is the easiest method and one step above back riveting on a plate. No issues with keeping the set perfectly perpendicular to the plate. I learned this trick from Synergy.

Why not build a table identical to a dimple table?

I just back riveted both rudder skins using this setup. Very happy with the results.

IMG_2126_25.jpg

Back