What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tank baffle sealant - how much?

FlyGuy65

Well Known Member
Almost time to install the fuel tank baffle - looks to be a lot of sealant required! Anyone remember how much sealant they used at that step?

I started using the George O. method of 30ml white/3ml black, but that was too much sealant per rib (and I was too slow to do more than one rib at a time). Converted to weight - 20g/2g. Now looking at the baffle and trying to figure how much to mix, and if I have enough left.

I think I mixed up 2 batches of around 35 / 40g for the baffles when I did my -9 tanks a few months ago.

For the rear baffles on my -10 left hand tank, I used a total of about 300g of mixed sealant, if I recall correctly. I had a little left over, but not an excessive amount. This includes the recommended 3/16" bead on the long edges of the baffle, sealing each rib, a coat of sealant between the baffle and each z-bracket, globs in the corners, and a small dollop on the head of every exposed rivet.

The -10 tanks have about 240 linear inches of seams to seal, and about 314 rivets associated with the rear baffles/z-brackets, so adjust accordingly for smaller tanks?

Last edited:
Back