What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Jack for tire change on a 10

Aviator

Well Known Member
Search brings up threads earlier than 2010.

So what is the cost effective way to raise the wheel for a tire/tube change?
I do not have wing jacks, and would like to get something.
Pics and links to would help a lot.

I rolled my own out some Harbor Freight Bottle jacks (iIRC the 2 or 3 ton versions). Made a thick plywood base and supports out of copper tubing to hold it vertical. Bought some jack points that screw into the tie down brackets (AntiSplat Aero sells them now). Works great. Now that I have a welder I'm gong to fabricate metal bases and supports to replace my redneck engineered ones. Sorry, no pics.

From Van's Aircraft, How to Jack Up an RV. https://www.vansaircraft.com/faq-technical-builder-items/how-to-jack-up-an-rv/

jack-rv1.jpg

Attachments

• DF986FF6-0037-4630-8F89-7EEF333D3B4F.jpeg
    DF986FF6-0037-4630-8F89-7EEF333D3B4F.jpeg
    522.4 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
Harbor Freight!

Here is what i did… just cheap jacks from harbor freight. Some conduit for support. You can see the dimple i drilled on top. I bought a bolt to screw into the tie down points, rounded the head and then slip a 1.25” socket over it. The socket fits over the piston in the jack to ensure that it cant slip off.

Attachments

• 6912CA9F-8ECD-4D95-97D6-85F0A378D397.jpg
    6912CA9F-8ECD-4D95-97D6-85F0A378D397.jpg
    479.5 KB · Views: 134
If you tape around the leg (to protect it) just up from the axle bend and put on the appropriate sized car exhaust clamp then use the small scissor type jack that’s in most small sedans. The jack central point locates on the clamp and only a few turns are required to lift one wheel for changing tyres etc. When the wheel is removed best to have a block of wood with padding (or similar) under the axle for extra security. These jacks are so small light and inexpensive they can be carried in the aircraft if you want to. I’ve never liked wing jacks, as others have said, the aircraft has to be lifted a fair bit to get the wheel off the ground, plus the wing jack gear because of size weight etc is really hangar gear and not practical to take in the aircraft.

Well, HF has sold its entire inventory nationwide of these long ram hydraulic jacks. All models, all gone.
Maybe they will be replacing with a new model. No body knows.
Meanwhile I am looking in Amazon, see some suitable ones...

I agree this is a garage solution, and like the flyboy acc on the wheel permanently.

But keep it coming, this will benefit everybody.

Those jacks from Winter Motor Sports or Flyboy Accessories do require a (cheap) scissor jack to be able to lift the airplane. Light/easy enough to toss in the luggage compartment and use for field repairs, or easy enough to borrow since it’s a jack that most cars use. Certainly more practical than the HarborFreight bottle jack for non-hangar use. That thing is heavy.

One other option is this one that Scott Card makes/sells. Might be worth a look.

https://elift.cardmachineworks.com/

Last edited:
Back