What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

OSH 2022 RV-10 Dinner Poll

ewumnrr

Well Known Member
Dear RV-10 builders and owners,

as last year, the traditional RV-10 dinner at Camp Scholler won't be conducted by the previous organizer Bob. I jumped in last minute last year and we had a small, but very nice off-site RV-10 dinner at the Fox River Brewery (which required a car ride). Goal is to have it within walking distance this year.

I would like to hear comments on having the event at the SOS brother's tent. If we stay below 130 participants, dinner is possible, above that it will be a meet and greet with drinks only.

Possible date is Sunday 7/24. Looks like Monday and Tuesday is traditionally taken by the Vans party and Vans dinner.

Please register for a poll here:

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/290014500177/

Thanks
Martin
San Diego

Last edited:
First time going this year as a builder. I won’t by flying in until Monday, but how does the other Vans events work? Do you have to register, sign up, be invite, etc for some of them? Where or how are they announced?

First time going this year as a builder. I won’t by flying in until Monday, but how does the other Vans events work? Do you have to register, sign up, be invite, etc for some of them? Where or how are they announced?
The (Monday) Vans party is a private but open event. Last year, details were announced here on VAF. No registration, no cost, since it's sponsored. It's a short walk from the tower out the gate.
The (Tuesday) Vans dinner is not announced yet. There was none last year, so don't know where they will post it.

I'm officially an RV-10 builder now (Repeat Offender Status achieved!!:D) but I won't be able to make Oshkosh this year as we will be out on a family vacation.

Sunday RV10 gathering

I talked to Katie with Gallagher insurance in July 2021 about the house that they use for their events which is just outside the gate. they have it all week. She said at that time that we could use it on Sunday for an RV10 event. We would have to raise some money for the beer kegs.

I talked to Stein Air as well. Stein said he would provide some level of financial support.

Using that area would probably mean a social gathering rather than having a dinner. I suppose we could figure out some way to finance some catering.

I like the idea of SOS as well. It’s close and not as busy on Sundays.

I talked to Katie with Gallagher insurance in July 2021 about the house that they use for their events which is just outside the gate. they have it all week. She said at that time that we could use it on Sunday for an RV10 event. We would have to raise some money for the beer kegs.
Awesome, thank you for probing alternate places. Keep it warm until we have a count (after day one, we are at 52). We can decide then.

Just realized that the Gallagher insurance house is the same place where the VAF RV Social is on Mondays. That house and the SOS tents are on the same street just 2,000 ft apart.
What speaks for SOS is that we can get both beer and food (if the crowd is too large for a formal sit-down dinner, we can disperse later and line up for food) and we can extend the party into the late evening. Plus we don't have to judge ahead of time how many kegs to buy and go change them ourselves - and then have to figure out why only foams comes out.
What speaks for the house is that beer will be a lot cheaper, potentially free if the vent gets sponsored.
SOS asked me to call them next week to make a reservation. Right now we are at 60, so will try to push it out a bit.

RV10 gathering

Martin,
We could gather at the Gallagher area, drink until the kegs are empty then stagger down to SOS to have dinner. I bet we could get someone sponsor the beer at Gallagher. We should probably call Gallagher to confirm if the offer is still open.

Call me if you want to talk or need some help with anything. I have sent you a PM with my phone number.

I look forward to it. I will have my minor son with me. Is there anything prohibiting him participating with me?

Anyone know if the beer exchange will be happening on Sunday this year at the HBC pavilion? Definitely interested in an RV-10 gathering but trying to parse the schedule out.

Anyone know if the beer exchange will be happening on Sunday this year at the HBC pavilion? Definitely interested in an RV-10 gathering but trying to parse the schedule out.

Most likely. The two events have been a conflict since the beer exchange started a few years ago.

The RV-10 dinner had been running much longer. My first one I attended was back around 2007, but I suspect it may have been going on a few years before that.

Martin,
We could gather at the Gallagher area, drink until the kegs are empty then stagger down to SOS to have dinner. I bet we could get someone sponsor the beer at Gallagher. We should probably call Gallagher to confirm if the offer is still open.

Call me if you want to talk or need some help with anything. I have sent you a PM with my phone number.

That’s basically what a lot of us have been doing for years for Monday’s RV social.

Man this is so complicated. I haven't been at OSH in a long time(16 yrs) and am looking forward to hangout with you guys.
Just pick a place already. :D

Didn't the -10 folk "reserve" a table in the Nature Center pavilion during the Van's dinner in years past?

Didn't the -10 folk "reserve" a table in the Nature Center pavilion during the Van's dinner in years past?

It’s been quite a while since that was done. Many folks quit attending the Vans dinner due to lack of content and the price increases. But even then, it was just a small subset of folks that attended the RV-10 dinner.

Now that Greg and Rian seem to be doing an great job turning things around, perhaps it’s time to start attending again.

Although the bigger issue is that there always seems to be multiple conflicts every night of the show. Recently there has been a large group of RV’ers going to the Black Otter the same night as the Van’s dinner.

Man this is so complicated. I haven't been at OSH in a long time(16 yrs) and am looking forward to hangout with you guys.
Just pick a place already. :D
I did pick a single place - SOS - and that is what the poll is about. We are at 71 right now. If you haven't registered, please do so, the link is at the beginning of this thread. No credit card needed, just name and email. Non-binding. Takes one minute.

Meanwhile the idea came up to "prime" ourselves for less money at the house before going there - which is an add-on but the original plan still stands to eat at SOS. At 71, we are well below the 130 threshold to get blocked-off seating for dinner. So looking good.

I did pick a single place - SOS - and that is what the poll is about. We are at 71 right now. If you haven't registered, please do so, the link is at the beginning of this thread. No credit card needed, just name and email. Non-binding. Takes one minute.

Meanwhile the idea came up to "prime" ourselves for less money at the house before going there - which is an add-on but the original plan still stands to eat at SOS. At 71, we are well below the 130 threshold to get blocked-off seating for dinner. So looking good.

I have registered already. Just clownin.

Update:

We are going to have a separate event tent (100x40 ft) at SOS with bench tables and sides in case it rains.

Food will be served buffet style (100 x mixed grill and sides), vegetarian for 10.

They will try to get a keg cooler so we'll have our own keg, otherwise we have to walk over to the main tent to get drinks (bar tabs are per person, not included).

Once I have pricing, I'll pass that on.

Suggestion for start of dinner is 6 pm, if that is too early, let me know.

Regards
Martin

sounds great

Thank you Martin!!!

let me know if you need any help the day of the event. We should land at KOSH Sunday morning.

Update: Event is now booked! The SOS event tent is rented starting at 6 pm, with the buffet being ready at 6:30 pm. I am now in the process of finding sponsors to bring the ticket price down (full price is $30 per person including one beer). The current count is 91. I am going to cap it at 110. Additional guests will have to get food and drinks at the main tent.

See you all there!

The event is well on track to be covered entirely by sponsors!
So far Vans and Stein have been VERY supportive, two more are pending.

The 130 $0-tickets have sold out, so those that don't have one will need to get their own food and drinks at the main tent but can still join the party. The 130 limit comes from SOS for preparing the buffet.

Cheers

Rv-10 Dinner tickets

Can’t make the dinner tonight. If you don’t have tickets, I can send you mine via email.

If anyone has 2 tickets they aren't going to use please pm or email me. I'm over in HBC.

You don’t need tickets to attend the gathering, we have plenty of room. Just the buffet is limited. Additional food and drinks can be purchased at the adjacent main tent.

See you there
Martin

Attachments

• 6A176497-41DF-47CA-8B05-0AEAA07CD1C4.jpg
    6A176497-41DF-47CA-8B05-0AEAA07CD1C4.jpg
    621.8 KB · Views: 45
  • 30F00629-B40D-4FC2-BD03-09B1E0D1ECE0.jpg
    30F00629-B40D-4FC2-BD03-09B1E0D1ECE0.jpg
    384.7 KB · Views: 46
Back