What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

DAR needed Indianapolis area

n700jl

Well Known Member
I am posting this for a friend that has built an amazing RV-7A in Indianapolis. He is looking for a reliable DAR to sign off his airplane. He has gotten the run around from the FAA for 2 months and after submitting all of his paperwork they are refusing to come out and do it. They are blaming staffing issues. Anyway if you know someone please let me know. The airplane is ready for inspection. Thank you!!!!

I am also listening

My last two airworthiness inspections were done promptly and cheerfully by Indy FSDO. Sad to hear thats changed. So, I am listening for DAR options also.

FYI, Illinois FSDO will not return queries or answer the phone. Any DARS with Illinois authority for AC issue ?

My last two airworthiness inspections were done promptly and cheerfully by Indy FSDO. Sad to hear thats changed. So, I am listening for DAR options also.

FYI, Illinois FSDO will not return queries or answer the phone. Any DARS with Illinois authority for AC issue ?

I know of 2, but was told that if they operate outside their home FSDO area, there should be a conversation with them (FSDO) about that. There is an FAA DAR search but not very helpful.

My experience

I had a similar experience with the INDY FSDO. My airplane was ready in October of 2020. They would not do the inspection because it was deemed "non-essential" due to covid.

There were three DARs listed for Indiana. One never returned any of my multiple calls. The second said that, "He couldn't charge me enough to make it worth it". The third, I was able to speak to but he would say, "I'll call you tomorrow at 5:00pm" and I wouldn't hear from him for weeks...

Why are these guys even listed in the DAR database?

I spoke with the Cvg FSDO because I actually live closer to CVG than INDY. They were happy to oblige...if I brought the aircraft to Ohio. Did they want me to fly it there?:rolleyes:

Long story short, I knew a guy in another state that could do it, and after jumping through several hoops with two FSDOs and two MIDOs, he was able to do it...and I am very grateful!!!! First flight was 12-02-2020...

Sometimes it is just easier to avoid the Government, and call one of the usual players here on VAF such as Vic.

We have had Vic fly up for a couple airplanes now, so far it has been easy just cost a few extra $'s for travel, but I am not sure anybody is in aviation to save money.

TY125 question

How can Vic inspect anywhere ? I was told by Indy FSDO their authority did not transcend indiana ? Are DARs more flexible?

They get permission to move outside of their area, Vic did it on his side. I believe I wrote a letter requesting him is all I had to do on my side.

Don't quote me on prices, Vic or whoever would be the best source. But of the 3 planes I was involved with in Louisville Ky area, it was around $500 for inspection, $1000 for travel.

Again please don't quote my estimates as gospel.

It has been a few years now; yet i suppose it still can be done. I got on the AOPA or the EAA web site and looked up DAR's in my area. I contacted him, he lived in Indianapolis. He came out done the work and signed off the plane. No charge. He said that he could accept some money for mileage. He said that he was not allowed to charge. This was in 2012

Welcome to the club. The OAK fsdo has, for the most part, refused to do A/W inspections for the last decade. At least, when asked, they provided a list of DARs.

DAR out of area

The FAA calls it a Geographic Expansion. The DAR checks a box that says “ out of area” and the request to inspect gets forwarded to the responsible FSDO where the inspection is to occur. They either approve or deny the out of area inspection and from there on it’s like any other inspection.

Manning and workload seems to be a real issue at some facilities.it’s not laziness.

I’m in Columbus IN and had an inspection done by Jim auman out of Tennessee. He’s through the Minneapolis mido, not the fsdo, but it worked fine. His prices were super reasonable. 630-886-0835 is his number. He will happily explain how to file the paperwork in the system to get routed to him should you choose to use his services.

I have traveled all over the country performing DAR work. in 2019 I was in 30+ states. COVID has put a little damper on that, unfortunately. If you are close enough to get there in my RV-10 we can probably make it work.

Out of everything I do, the DAR work is the most fun. I get to meet people at an exciting time in their life, having accomplished a major feat.

Vic

THANK YOU!!

A huge thank you to everyone who responded!!!! I passed the information along to my friend Greg! Thank you!!!

It has been a few years now; yet i suppose it still can be done. I got on the AOPA or the EAA web site and looked up DAR's in my area. I contacted him, he lived in Indianapolis. He came out done the work and signed off the plane. No charge. He said that he could accept some money for mileage. He said that he was not allowed to charge. This was in 2012

You must have had the same DAR, retired from Rolls-Royce, that did my inspection in 2008. He drove up to Lafayette and only charged me for mileage. Very thorough and fair. I would think he may be retired by now. Sorry for rubbing it in to those who are paying top dollar for equally top talent.

Many inspectors retiring at the Indy FSDO. I was told after December they will be down to two inspectors on the maintenance side.

Indy area DAR

A friend just had his Zenith 650 inspected by John Shrout out of INDIANAPOLIS. He told my friend that his price for all future Certifications would be $2000.00. His phone number is 317-652-0012 . At that price he would not be my first choice!
GZ

One of

One of the guys I contacted in late 2020. He quoted 500 then but was really hard to get good communication from…

Back