What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Gearbox

Dvalcik

Well Known Member
Sponsor
As part of my conditional inspection, I sent the gearbox off for inspection.

img_0604.jpg

Unfortunately I was in the club for recommended gear replacement. I created a poll to see how many people had nothing wrong, need an adjustment, or full gear replacement.

Just curious the rate of replace, adjust, or nothing needed.

I have a question about that. How did you get your gearbox off to send it for inspection/rebuild? I see one $500-plus tool to do that, or a $200-plus tool. Does one actually need to spend that much on a single-purpose tool to get the gearbox off? Or is there a simple, cheaper way to do it that I haven't heard about?

We're at a little over 600 hours now. We can go to 1000 before inspection, but I don't know that we should. I don't know of anyone local or even reasonably close that does Rotax maintenance...

I understand that some of the major ROTAX parts suppliers have the specialized tools available for rent. In some cases, you can also build up your own tools. Much discussion and videos of this on the Rotax-Owner site. Also, there are several videos showing 912 gearbox removal and rebuilding on YouTube.

I don't know of anyone local or even reasonably close that does Rotax maintenance...

I am not a Rotax owner but have a few buds that own them. Give Stol Creek Aviation a shout. Mike is the "go to" guy in the midwest, and also the ONLY factory authorized Edge Performance dealer/installer in the USA. His airstrip and shop is just NE of Wichita Kansas.

The video highlights a gearbox inspection/repair
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3S83-IPgqA

https://stolcreek.com

OK, I’m more than just a little confused here. You started with a statement and photo related to gearbox removal and then jumped to gear leg replacement. Obviously, I’ve completely missed the segue between these two seemingly unrelated topics. Is your poll related to gear legs or gearboxes?

Is it the dogs and clutch pack that need replacing and reshimming, or did the splines get eaten away and worn out?

Rotax recommends a 2500 rpm warm up engine speed, to help mitigate that.

600 hours

Mine was overhauled at 600 hours as part of an exercise to trace engine vibration. Signs of wear on dog hub and drive dogs, but within acceptable limits.

Gearbox main bearing, thrust washer, disc springs, oil seal all replaced.

Mine was overhauled at 600 hours as part of an exercise to trace engine vibration. Signs of wear on dog hub and drive dogs, but within acceptable limits.

Gearbox main bearing, thrust washer, disc springs, oil seal all replaced.
And did that fix the vibration?

I received my gearbox back from Lockwood and finished most of my conditional inspection. Installed the gearbox with help from my fellow RVrs in the area. Great community, Thanks Dave, Mark, & Al

img_0614.jpg

img_0615.jpg

img_0616.jpg

img_0617.jpg

Went back together very easy with their help and hoping to test fly early this week :D

Back