What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oil Temp in Winter

dwbuckeye

Is there a oil cooler cover for winter flying for the 912? Even though we operate out of a heated hanger, it can take 13 - 14" to warm up the engine enough to do the run up and go flying.

Yes-

Van's offers a winterizing kit for the RV-12 consisting of a partial cover for the coolant radiator and three different sized cover plates for the oil cooler. Sorry I can't help with the part number of the kit.

Part #12 WINTERIZATION KIT ULS

I purchased and it’s super simple. 3 different size block off plates + stick on rubber strip for oil cooler. Then, there’s a radiator cover that can be slid up and down with either top cowl off or if you have gorilla arms by reaching in through front lower cowl opening. The only “tricky” part of radiator cover install is the rubber stripping for that requires double flush solid rivets with reimposing/etc. I didn’t have the tools but friend and rv builder (thanks Scott!) at airport did. Took 10 minutes.

When I was a teen I had a FIAT 1200 (Fix It Again Tony). I couldn’t find a replacement thermostat so by trial and error I taped over the radiator until I got the temperature in the normal band. Worked great driving around, but parking on lover’s lane left the engine and this teenage Valentino overheated!😝

Back