What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rob Hickman- Advanced Flight

bweez

I would like to take this opportunity to give a shout out to superior customer service skills I experienced with Rob Hickman, President and founder at Advanced Flight. My Rv-10 with an Advanced quick panel was having a #1 comm issue with my Avidyne IFD-540. Rob took ownership of the situation, he provided first class troubleshooting techniques and explained prints and operational techniques in an easy to understand manner. He was available on the weekends and sent me his cell to call for information. He even offered even to come and help.. a little far considering I’m based in Florida and he’s in Oregon.
It is nice to experience first class help and Rob and his team should be commended. Makes me feel fortunate that I bought a quick panel that is supported as well as it is.
Happy flying!!

The best!!!

Without question some of the best customer service in the business. We are blessed to have companies like Advanced Flight and the Hickman Team.

Love my 5500T's!!

I would like to take this opportunity to give a shout out to superior customer service skills I experienced with Rob Hickman, President and founder at Advanced Flight. My Rv-10 with an Advanced quick panel was having a #1 comm issue with my Avidyne IFD-540. Rob took ownership of the situation, he provided first class troubleshooting techniques and explained prints and operational techniques in an easy to understand manner. He was available on the weekends and sent me his cell to call for information. He even offered even to come and help.. a little far considering I’m based in Florida and he’s in Oregon.
It is nice to experience first class help and Rob and his team should be commended. Makes me feel fortunate that I bought a quick panel that is supported as well as it is.
Happy flying!!

3rd that

I’ve had the same experience. Near-instant responses to questions, even on weekends. Simply awesome support. AF-4500, 1300+ hours so far.

We are a second owner of an aircraft with Rob's glass panel. He went out of his way to look after us in every way he could. Couldn't recommend him high enough, plus hes just a nice guy.:)

I've spoken with him numerous times at airshows and over the phone getting an estimate for my panel. Always super knowledgable and helpful. Now looking forward to good service since I got the ball rolling and ordered my panel yesterday. Now just have to wait 12 weeks to see it. Plenty to do until then though.

One time I called Rob on his cell phone on a Sunday and he didn't call back for almost an hour! Then he had the nerve to wait for some fog to clear before flying to my airport and help me fix my installation error. Sheesh.
:D

4th That

I too have had nothing but excellent service from Rob and Advanced Support. I started in 2007 with 3500 and upgraded in 2018 to the 5400 as drop in replacement.

I also called on weekends to Robs cell and got assistance. The product is solid but support is always important. Thank you Rob!

I’m in the process of purchasing an RV-9A fitted with two older AFS EFIS’s (4500 and 3500) and an AFS autopilot. Rob was very generous and helpful in providing advice on the realistic remaining lifespan of this instrumentation and very objective in his recommendations regarding replacement options, timing, and cost. The availability of that kind of resource is very reassuring to a long-time pilot but brand-new prospective Experimental owner who doesn’t really understand the EFIS landscape very well.

Rob and the team at AFS have been a pleasure to work with! Back in 2017 Rob was inducted into the EAA Homebuilders Hall of Fame for His contributions.

Last edited:
I spent a Saturday morning with Rob three years ago. He said he was with Advanced Flight Systems, AFS. I said, “What is AFS?” He found that funny and not insulting, as I was very new to experimental aviation. He took many 5-10-15 minute customer service calls that morning to keep customers moving forward on a weekend. Hey, builders build on their free time, right? He was happy to take those calls. What a genuine person.

Back