What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip-up canopy crack

- Poindexter -

Well Known Member
I inherited a canopy crack on an RV7A. Photo attached. Been flying 80 hrs with it but want to secure it in place. Tried Weld-on 3, but it did not hold. Looking for solutions to fix it in place. Something clear, non obtrusive.

Yes, maybe a targa strip is in the future, but it’s not too bad now. I just want to secure it in place.

Thanks,
Paul

Attachments

• 20211031_165953.jpg
    20211031_165953.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 373
Last edited:
My canopy crack is almost identical. I had luck with the Weld On fix but I took the time to very carefully trace the outline exact size so that if I lose it one day, I will be ready to cut a new one.

I also installed two guide blocks to keep it from reoccurring.

I would like a carbon fiber Targa Strip also.

Instead of carbon fibre, how about using a strip of 3M Vinyl in carbon fibre pattern? It would look the same, and might help retain the piece from falling out.

I used a vinyl strip to cover that area. Has held up very very well.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-11-02 at 9.16.53 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-11-02 at 9.16.53 AM.png
    2 MB · Views: 340
My canopy crack is almost identical. I had luck with the Weld On fix but I took the time to very carefully trace the outline exact size so that if I lose it one day, I will be ready to cut a new one.
I might have to stop blaming my rugrat for dropping the canopy now.

My -9A has an identical crack too. I thought it was operator-induced, but never did find the missing piece, I now suspect it happened at altitude and is adorning some farmers paddock...

I had a similar crack develop on my -6A after several years of flying. I think I used weld-on to address the issue at the time. No further crack growth sense then.

Back to the question….

Folks, is there a glue or epoxy that I can secure the pieces together? I tried Weld-on 3. I let it dry for 3 days, but after my flight, it did not hold. Maybe user error or different type of adhesive is needed?

Thanks,
P
PS - I like the vinyl wrap idea, but I first need to secure the piece.

Back