What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Paint advise

GHARBEN

N12HR is a beautiful yellow airplane. It needs touching up in a couple of places. I didn’t see anything about the paint in the log books. Any thoughts on the best paint to use for touch up?
Thanks
G Harben
N12HR. O320

If you can take a small fairing to an automotive paint shop most of them have a paint match gun that will take a picture of the paint and identify the color so they can mix paint to match.

Also, sand a small area that you can easily redo. You want to sand it just enough that you can identify each layer of color. Do your touch up with the same layers for the best color match. A lot of times yellow planes are painted white first. The white makes everything uniform and brightens the yellow. Sometimes a light grey base is used but it will darken the yellow a bit.

Finding out if it is base coat/clear coat will help also.
Cross your fingers that it is single coat. Scrape a little off with a razor blade to see if there is a clear over base.
Then take the part and get it matched.
You will have that formula on can. if it isn't quite right paint store can usually get it real close by remix or rebatching another can.
Cost to get it matched isn't real cheap but worth it.
I just painted my repaired steps on my RV-6A and I have the exact codes. And it is real close but the old paint has changed a bit even after I buffed off top layer.
So close is good. Mine was exact code and it still is a tiny bit off.
Good luck Art

Back