What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hello VAF

bill.hutchison

Well Known Member
Hi there, VAF people.

I was encouraged by a couple of RV owners to read and join here with questions.

I'm in the very early stages of identifying what I want in an RV - the biggest decision has been just getting to the point of wanting one!

I'm a part-time CFI and full-time cog in a large software machine in the northern VA area near DC, and I'm very interested in owning an RV. Right now, I'm leaning toward an RV6 or RV7, but would go with the right -A model if it presented itself.

Yes, I am looking for a flying RV - do not have the space to build one.

I'm just reading and shopping for the time being but I do have a nagging question:

How do you fine folks go about finding a mech with RV knowledge for a proper pre-buy experience? Do you post here, or in your regional forum? Is it word-of-mouth?

Just curious.

Wanted to say hello. I have much reading to do. Please be gentle as I ask dumb questions. :)

Bill

Let me be the first to welcome you to the good ship VAF.
You won't be disappointed with either. I have a 7A.

Bill,

Drive down to Dogwood (VA42) and take a look at the RVs here and get hooked into the local RV gang at Shannon.

Carl

Bill,

Drive down to Dogwood (VA42) and take a look at the RVs here and get hooked into the local RV gang at Shannon.

Carl

Carl - that's a great idea. Love to.

Since strange people wandering around looking in airplanes is probably a great way to raise suspicion, is there ever an open house event or something that I could show up at? :)

Last edited:
You're right, a good pre-buy inspection is important. But when you buy a homebuilt, you're not only buying a piece of machinery, you're also buying the skills and attitudes of the builder and any subsequent owners.

The story I tell is that you could take an airplane to a white gloves shop on one side of the airport for an annual inspection, then take it across the airport to another white gloves shop and they'd find a few things the first one missed.

I think this is even more true on homebuilts where system design, especially electrical, can be all over the place. For example, on my plane, the avionics were installed by a "professional" shop. Much of that wiring had to be replaced at an avionics upgrade. I showed a piece of CANbus to the Garmin folks at AirVenture, and they laughed out loud because it was so poorly done.

Bottom line is that you should count on at least one major problem with your new plane, even after a great pre-purchase inspection. The more documentation on the airplane -- what components were installed, part numbers, where purchased; wiring diagrams; test documentation -- the better. In the real world, though, very few builders seem to pay attention to those details because those are things that don't show, and many builders aren't familiar with those aspects so they get less attention.

I've owned six airplanes now, four of them RVs. Two of the RVs were pretty close to trouble free, but some day when you've got a week, I'll tell you about the other planes.

All this is not to discourage you -- the same can happen with a factory built airplane -- but to help you have realistic expectations. Personally, I find the rewards are worth it.

You're right, a good pre-buy inspection is important. But when you buy a homebuilt, you're not only buying a piece of machinery, you're also buying the skills and attitudes of the builder and any subsequent owners.

All this is not to discourage you -- the same can happen with a factory built airplane -- but to help you have realistic expectations. Personally, I find the rewards are worth it.

These are good points, Ed, and it's the thing I find most daunting: the unknown unknowns. Thus all the reading I'm starting with. :)

Thanks!

Pre-buy word of mouth

I'm based not that far from you (W96 near KRIC). John Sanders at Sanders Aviation in Elizabeth City does my condition inspections. He's really good, knows RVs, and delivers on time and on budget. The longer I'm involved in GA, the more I appreciate those qualities. :) He'd do a good pre-buy.

You could also call in a world-class RV expert like Vic Syracuse from Atlanta. He's definitely capable of saving you a TON of money and headaches, easily justifying paying his travel costs. Ask me how I know. :)

Hi there, VAF people.

I was encouraged by a couple of RV owners to read and join here with questions.

I'm in the very early stages of identifying what I want in an RV - the biggest decision has been just getting to the point of wanting one!

I'm a part-time CFI and full-time cog in a large software machine in the northern VA area near DC, and I'm very interested in owning an RV. Right now, I'm leaning toward an RV6 or RV7, but would go with the right -A model if it presented itself.

Yes, I am looking for a flying RV - do not have the space to build one.

I'm just reading and shopping for the time being but I do have a nagging question:

How do you fine folks go about finding a mech with RV knowledge for a proper pre-buy experience? Do you post here, or in your regional forum? Is it word-of-mouth?

Just curious.

Wanted to say hello. I have much reading to do. Please be gentle as I ask dumb questions. :)

Bill

Suggestion on how to find mechanic

Bill,
Welcome! You ask a really great question about how to find a good mechanic. I think there are as many answers as people that have ever bought an RV. Let me suggest what worked for me.

Go find some RV folks near you, and talk with them. It sounds like there is an active group near you. I did that, and was introduced to a guy that is now a great friend and mechanic. Jeff had built his own RV-7, and was at that time a new A&P. He is now an IA. He knew first hand the ins and outs of RV's having built his own.

We do the conditional every year together, as well as routine maintenance like oil, filter, and tire changes. This has worked out really well, at least for me. Jeff did the pre-buy for me when I bought my 6A.

I never would have met Jeff if I had not gone out to the local airport, and just started looking for RV pilots to talk with. I found almost all the RV folks I talked to wanted to discuss their birds, and generally gave really good advice when I decided to buy.

All the best of luck.

Geoff

Mechanics and inspections

8 years ago I purchased a flying RV4. Back then there wasn't nearly as many second owners of experimentals. Getting a condition inspection or pre-buy then could be a problem since many A&Ps didn't have any experimental experience and others simply refused to work on an experimental.

But much has changed. Experimentals have gotten some street cred. There are tons of second and third owners, and many A&Ps have gotten to like the relative simplicity and uniqueness of the aircraft.

We have an active RV community at Leesburg (KJYO). 2 RV12, 2 RV8, 1 RV4, 1 RV7A, 1 RV10 flying, and an RV8 and RV14A under construction.

Let me know if I can be of help. Hard to get a ride these days because of COVID precautions.

8 years ago I purchased a flying RV4. Back then there wasn't nearly as many second owners of experimentals. Getting a condition inspection or pre-buy then could be a problem since many A&Ps didn't have any experimental experience and others simply refused to work on an experimental.

But much has changed. Experimentals have gotten some street cred. There are tons of second and third owners, and many A&Ps have gotten to like the relative simplicity and uniqueness of the aircraft.

We have an active RV community at Leesburg (KJYO). 2 RV12, 2 RV8, 1 RV4, 1 RV7A, 1 RV10 flying, and an RV8 and RV14A under construction.

Let me know if I can be of help. Hard to get a ride these days because of COVID precautions.

That's excellent to know. I am out at JYO quite a bit.

Hi there, VAF people.
How do you fine folks go about finding a mech with RV knowledge for a proper pre-buy experience? Do you post here, or in your regional forum? Is it word-of-mouth? Bill
Welcome aboard Bill. There are many articles, books, blogs, videos on how to buy a planes and owning them, that applies to any plane including the RV's. An experimental is a little different than a certified plane, in that it was built by an amateur. Van kits are so well made, which makes it likely some structural standardization and quality, but NO guarantee. When it comes to prop, engine 150HP-200HP (traditional ignition or electronic/induction carb, FI), electrical system, avionics, instruments.... the sky is the limit and so are the prices....

Do your home work. If it is a good value, it will sell fast, so you have to be ready to buy (but walk away if nothing is right). I would recommend a pre-purchase inspection. Also you should get some RV time. Of course you fly one you will want it. Many RV's are sold word of mouth.

How much money do you have? A RV14, RV10, RV8, RV7 will in generally fetch more than a RV3, RV4 or RV6 (nothing wrong with the older planes BTW). So a well built loaded RV two place will be $100K or more. A used, not so fancy nice flying fixed pitch prop RV4 about $40k. I am just throwing out numbers but you get the idea... how much money do you have.

What you want out of an RV? It is more what the RV will give you. Their reputation is well deserved for being a delight to fly, fast cross country, short field, aerobatic plane.... They are small and limited on payload. Of course the RV10 is a 4 plc and RV14 is a wider bigger, based on the RV10 but two place. Tail dragger or trike?

You will want to get with the EAA local chapter and start networking.

To find a plane, This forum, Trade A Plane, Barnstormers.....

Do you have a hanger? Have you checked into insurance? Because you did not build it you will need your condition inspection (like an annual) to be done by an A&P.

I did not mention the RV9 or RV12. The RV9 is like an RV7 but with a different wing and made for cruise no aerobatics. The RV12 is a LSA with a ROTAX. I know little about these.

Last edited:
Back