What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Airplane Art

RV7A Flyer

Well Known Member
Patron
I recently took a class in neon art, and made this design which I just hung in my hangar. Being an engineer and not an artist, I'm pretty proud of it! It doesn't show up well in photos, but the propeller is a krypton-filled tube with a "beading" transformer that makes it look like it's moving (and yes, it's "rotating" the correct way! :))

enhance

Based on my RV-7A

enhance

Joe,
That's really quite nicely done, Sir! If you start taking orders, let me know. :cool:

BTW, apologies for the somewhat poor pic...neon is notoriously hard to photograph, and this was shot with my phone, so rather suboptimal exposure (the red tubes are really red, "Ruby Red" tubes, but come out as orange-y in iPhone pics, e.g.). I'll try to get a better one with my dSLR this week.

Well done! :eek: Though you'd want to patent that before The Mothership guys see it and get an idea! :D

Either that, or start making them and get them to market them for you!!

I was in the sign industry for 41 years and watched neon go from main stream to mostly just an art form. Very hard to find a tube bender anymore and anyone to repair it. At the end of my career almost everything had gone LED. Congratulations and keep the art alive!

We need a movie!

Wow, that looks great! Take a movie and post so we can see if indeed the propeller goes the right way:)

Great job, I would never have the courage to even try something like that.

Geoff

Back