What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tilt canopy handle for -14

It would be nice to know what the predictable strain loads are from the canopy so we would have a better idea on tensile strength for the PA12 material and this application. I'm concerned about the joint that this part will be supporting on the frame and possible failure. Anyone out there smart enough on PA12 that can do an analysis?

Trial fit complete. I'll be sending handle back to John. Great job btw. I pasted on a few items for improvement i.e. placement of holes or ribs to allow for tooling i.e. rivet gun/squeezer. The overall size of the handle is great and feels easy on the hand. If you really wanted to use this particular PLA handle. I would recommend utilizing the top portion of the VANS provided handle (C-01405A) for support, discarding the bottom portion, and mating the top portion to the new AFT canopy frame assembly per Section 38-14 as a baseplate to Johns handle. Second, add a few clearance holes in the PLA handle to accommodate baseplate riveting and then pop revit Johns handle on top of the new modified baseplate using washers to assist in securing the revits to the PLA handle to baseplate. You may also want to add a second plate for support to the backside of the revited area due to the increased number of holes if added. The biggest concern is the PLA material itself and how well it can hold up to extended UV light exposure. Tensile strength is ~7250 psi new. But not sure on degradation after extended exposure to UV. NOTE: PLA is also not recommended for load bearing designs. Hence, use the modified VANS handle as a base. I would hate to see this handle fail in the event someone failed to secure their canopy prior to rotation. 65-70 knots will possibly provide an significant amount of lift effect on the canopy. I also provided a modified version of Johns handle to him for future consideration on design.
I'm hoping that Darwin comes through and can use this idea for a future product line. Hint Hint
I'm also looking forward to a metal (aluminum) version of Johns updated prototype.

Last edited:
Thanks for doing the fit check Don!
As Don has mentioned, PLA is not structural. The intent of this prototype was to check fit and form. Mission accomplished. Don's suggestions noted. If this were to be 3D printed it would have to be a structural material such as PA12 (nylon 6/6) and printed on a commercial machine. This was printed on a hobby FDM machine.

Hi Guys,

If someone can send me the files I'll have my machinist check it out. Shouldn't be a problem. Always looking for new products. This would be a prefect addition to add to the JD Air canopy latch.

Send file to [email protected]

Thanks!!

Need to email plans here and let JD Air do it from billet.

Stress Analysis

For all you engineering nerds here's the stress analysis. The material assumption was nylon 6/10. Overall looks pretty good but I'll let you all arrive at your own conclusion. UV is still a concern so painting would be required.

450 lb load as shown:
450 lb load.png

450 lb load displacement:
450 lb load displacement.png

161 lb load as shown:
161 lb load.png

161 lb load displacement:
161 lb load displacement.png

Great job John. Do you happen to have any data on paint adhesion issues with the nylon 6/10? If that is a nit, that would give other builders another possible option for a handle. I'm still looking forward to hearing from Rick or Darwin to see if they had any success with the files sent to then for a possible prototype. Finger crossed!

group buy

Hey everyone:

I'm going to order a handle for myself. Black. If there is anyone else interested let me know and I'll add it to the RFQ. Then I'll get back to you with a price per. The process is MJF not FDM. All the analysis was done assuming that process.

You can have any color you want as long as it's black. Sorry, couldn't resist. With MJF there are two colors; gray and black. You can always paint.

OK Ray, I've got you down for 1 handle, gray.
As a group buy we have to agree on the color. I'm happy either way.
Any others interested?

I haven’t read all the post on this topic but hopefully someone thought about the stresses that could be required on this handle if the canopy was to become unlatched in flight. Would be an awful time to loose your handle.

Forget the cnc stuff and take a piece of your favourite wood and do some carving.
I made my wooden insert with walnut and bonded it to the ugly, uncomfortable stock handle.
Very nice feel and looks great. This your chance to actually fabricate something the way you want and get contours that fit your hand.

Hey Tom. I considered the 3D insert and even a wooden insert but I started this conversation looking for a nice upgrade for my plane. I may have to entertain a local machine shop $$$$.

Derek:
Got you down for one gray.

Ben:
One gray.

Rick:
Let me know if gray is OK.

Ron B:
Look back through the thread. I ran the analysis. Look for lots of pretty pictures of the stress/strain contours. The handle is very robust.

Once I get a quote I'll let everyone know.

Ok everyone,

Here's the list I have for Canopy Handles:

Ray Dosh

Derek Plough

Ben Barron

Rich Kulesa

David Veldunf

Let me know if I missed anyone or you changed your mind and want off the list.

To review:
- material: PA-12 (nylon)
- Process: MJF
- color: gray
- cost: $60 ea. +shipping. I'll send it USPS.
- Delivery: couple of weeks

It was pointed out to me that my last post wasn't clear (thanks Derek). I need shipping addresses from everyone. I'll be mailing these in USPS envelopes.

I'd like to see a picture of the handle installed on the canopy once someone gets it fitted. Also curious what it weighs and how it compares to the original Vans parts, if anyone has that info.

Thanks,

Good question Mark. I'll calculate the weight and post. I don't have my finish kit yet so I can't tell you what Van's handle weighs. Maybe someone else can provide that number.

Weight

Using the properties of PA-12 (nylon 10) and the MJF process the weight will be ~3.2oz. I cross checked by weighing my prototype that was made with PLA and the FDM process. It weighed 2.1 oz.

Machined version

FYI, I've got a prototype being machined right now. If all works well they should be available before too long.

Yes! I am totally looking forward to seeing how this turns out. Thx in advance!

EXP 119 delivery - any time now!
She just got legs today! Yay!

Final call for canopy handle:

Here's the list I have so far. I have addresses for everyone except David (sorry to call you out David ;) but I need an address before I order). Final pricing/shipping is $60/$8.95

Ray Dosh

Derek Plough

Ben Barron

Rich Kulesa

David Veldunf

Cal Brubaker

John Tuck

Ordered the handles yesterday. Should be done in a week or so. Then I'll ship them out. So expect 2-3 weeks to have handles in your mailbox. Please PayPal me $68.95
[email protected]

I'm still researching how to paint nylon for those that don't want gray. I'll post what I learn.

OK. Here's the handle made from the file I shared with another prospect on this discussion earlier. Got Tired of waiting, so I went and had this bad boy CNC machined to install in my -14A. Gonna be installing tomorrow. Canopy has been on standby for 3 months. Made from aluminum so there are no issues with UV, paint, or other concerns.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/195898251@N06/?

It would be nice if these were a part of the VANS Finishing Kit.

IO-390-EXP119 Thunderbolt in final assembly

Last edited:
There are a lot of variables that can play into this. Mine is a one-of-a-kind at this time. I'm hoping that someone will mass produce this to keep the price at less than $100. Mine was more than that considering the machine shop had to charge set-up time, material, labor, etc.

Rick. I totally agree. I asked Darwin about this and he mentioned his guy was going to look at the handle. I needed to move on and get mine done. He has a copy of my file that I used to produce my handle. Hopefully it works out and he can market.

Dues paid

Last edited:
Yes. It was machined from a solid piece of aluminum. I already mounted it to my canopy frame and put a couple layers of clear coat on it. It looks too good to color at this point. It has a better look on it with the machined surface. I couldn't color it.
Dues paid

Yes. It was machined from a solid piece of aluminum. I already mounted it to my canopy frame and put a couple layers of clear coat on it. It looks too good to color at this point. It has a better look on it with the machined surface. I couldn't color it.
Dues paid

What no pic? Tease

Handles ready to ship

Good morning everyone. For those that ordered handles they are in my hands and will ship out Monday. Turned out well. I actually like the gray. But, like I said, they can easily be painted. Light sand, prime and paint with your favorite color.
IMG_0321.jpg

ready to install and....

John,

I am about to install your handle and wondering if it can be installed in lieu of the Van's "Canopy Handle Assembly" or if I need to supplement with some elements of the Van's C-01405A unit for strength on the Canopy Frames (C-01405L/R)?

Ben

OK. Here's the handle made from the file I shared with another prospect on this discussion earlier. Got Tired of waiting, so I went and had this bad boy CNC machined to install in my -14A. Gonna be installing tomorrow. Canopy has been on standby for 3 months. Made from aluminum so there are no issues with UV, paint, or other concerns.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/195898251@N06/?

It would be nice if these were a part of the VANS Finishing Kit.

Hey Don,
Now that they’ve machined one (yours) were you ever able to get a price from the machine shop regarding the price they’d charge to machine more of them? I really thought Darwin was going to run with this ball, but he hasn’t commented on this thread for about six months. If I can’t get one of these machined like you did, I’ll reach out to John to see about getting one of the 3D printed ones.

Hey Don,
Now that they’ve machined one (yours) were you ever able to get a price from the machine shop regarding the price they’d charge to machine more of them? I really thought Darwin was going to run with this ball, but he hasn’t commented on this thread for about six months. If I can’t get one of these machined like you did, I’ll reach out to John to see about getting one of the 3D printed ones.

For anything near reasonable, I’d like one of the machined ones in my -14A.

Bill

RVplastics

Is Steve Melton still around? Need some thingies from him.
And why is Tim-O so quiet?

I would be willing to machine some of these if there were a few $'s in it for my time. If someone wants to send me the specs, I can come up with a price. I don't have a cnc mill and would do it manually/old school with a traditional mill. I also have no CAD program so will need some other type of drawing with all the dimensions; maybe a PDF. I am retired and always looking for a fun project that helps fund my flying.

I wouldn't trust a plastic part for this, as you need good, un-compressible meat for the rivets to hold as this becomes part of the sandwich that helps hold the canopy structure together and is possibly part of the structure that protects the occupant in a roll over crash. Didn't do the engineering analysis, so don't know if the roll bar does this exclusively or if the canopy structure is assisting. I wouldn't take any chances unless Vans confirmed that the roll bar provides the protection, independent of the canopy frame.

Larry

Last edited:
Back