What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing fixture?

Doug Rohrer

Well Known Member
When I built my RV-9A a few years ago, the instructions showed how to build a wing holding fixture to make sure the wing had no twist or sag and all the skin holes lined up. The -14A instructions don't seem to have any similar fixture requirements. Can the skins be riveted on just using a flat table under the spar, or should I build another wing fixture? What have other -14 builders done?

There’s no wing jig required on the 14 wing build . Just use a long straight level table . With everything prepunched ,when you cleco it all together the wing will be straight.that’s the advantage of the 14s design over the 9.

Keep spar perfectly straight with no twist. Even though it is prepunched, you can still incorporate a twist if you are not diligent.
4C8BC44D-2C5F-4432-B536-1799FE9E1438.jpg

EFAC2222-9AAC-430E-89AA-55C88F7CD3EA.jpg

C93FE4D7-E623-43D3-A365-5142522A96EF.jpg

I used a laser level and shims to ensure the spar was straight during part of the construction but a jig is not needed.

Keep spar perfectly straight with no twist. Even though it is prepunched, you can still incorporate a twist if you are not diligent.
View attachment 29437

View attachment 29438

View attachment 29439

We used this exact same techniques. We blocked up the spar on wood blocks and shimmed them until the spar flanges are level in all respects. Then we riveted the top skin. Finally we removed the outboard table, leaving the wing cantilevered on the blocks and clamps. This give access to the outboard leading edge section, which we carefully jacked into place and then riveted.

I feel this method gives you the absolute best chance of inducing zero warp into the structure. It also might be overkill :D

Back