What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Weight and Balance Changes

dmattmul

Well Known Member
I'm going to pick up my RV-14 from paint this Friday. I've checked the W&B with maximum load in the luggage compartment and the numbers worked fine. My airframe because of the composite prop and lighter batteries tends to come out a little aft heavy but still ok. (I have a IO390 which helps) This trip I will have 50#'s in the baggage area not the 100 lbs. with max baggage. I'd like to run some numbers before I pick it up. Can anyone give me a ballpark calculation of the increase in W&B by load point (Tires) I should, see?

Thanks

So you’re not going to reweigh it after painting, and you’re asking for someone on the internet to tell you what your weight and balance is? Just wanted to be sure what you’re asking…

I picked up 37.5 lbs with a gorgeous paint job by Evoke. Includes all fibreglass work that was not done on the initial weighing. My plane is mostly red which is a heavier paint color. I understand that a similar paint job was in the 33 lb range.

Perfect response

Glenn's input was great. I can't reweigh it until I get back to my home base and will do a proper weight and balance then. I know I will be at least 50 lbs. lighter in the baggage moment when I fly it home. I thought this should be enough but wanted to check. I don't want you to tell me what my weight and balance will be. :rolleyes: I would like to hear from others weight and balance increases after paint. Mine is also at Evoke and good data. Thanks

How far aft

Yes, that is why I would like to hear how others paint was distributed. If needed I can limit baggage weight to less than 25 lbs. but like carrying my travel tools in case needed in route. 99% of my fiberglass work was done. Evoke does not only a great paint job but their fiberglass work is impeccable. I took worst case scenario and added 20 lbs. to each main and -4 lbs. to the nose. With a passenger, full fuel and 50 lbs. baggage CG comes out ok both acro and utility but overweight for acro. I don't fly acro with passengers and baggage.

Last edited:
The one I built gained 25 lbs from paint (no other changes like wheelpants but the shop did some sanding/filling on all the fiberglass parts).

CG moved aft from 80.54 to 81.07

Your mileage may vary of course.

Last edited:
I should have mentioned in my first post that I moved from 80.74" to 82.16" in a my RV-14 taildragger after paint.

Last edited:
Thanks

That's almost 2 inches which is quite I bit. I'm using +20 on the mains and -5 on the nose. Maybe not enough. I think I got the total weight increase down but would love to hear how much weight off the front gear would be great. Thanks

That's almost 2 inches which is quite I bit. I'm using +20 on the mains and -5 on the nose. Maybe not enough. I think I got the total weight increase down but would love to hear how much weight off the front gear would be great. Thanks

Sorry that was a typo. New CofG is 82.16" not 82.6"

Why not have the paint shop weigh it?

I'm going to pick up my RV-14 from paint this Friday. I've checked the W&B with maximum load in the luggage compartment and the numbers worked fine. My airframe because of the composite prop and lighter batteries tends to come out a little aft heavy but still ok. (I have a IO390 which helps) This trip I will have 50#'s in the baggage area not the 100 lbs. with max baggage. I'd like to run some numbers before I pick it up. Can anyone give me a ballpark calculation of the increase in W&B by load point (Tires) I should, see?

Thanks

In my experience aircraft paint shops are well-equipped to weigh airplanes after paint.

Legal?

Is it legal to make ANY flight after changing anything that affects weight or balance without either calculating updated w/b or reweighing in EAB aircraft?

I remember having to add significant weight to re-balance the elevators at the paint shop. not very hard to do. Also topped off the tanks and weighed it on their scales...only took about 10 min....

Back