What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IO-360 A1D changing to dual impulse Mags?

AN23

Well Known Member
My RV-8 has an IO-360 A1D (angle valve) that currently uses one non-impulse Slick mag (4370) and one impulse Slick mag (4373). My current mags are coming up on the 500 hour inspection. I have an opportunity to get two really low time Slick mags but both are impulse mags (4373). As I understand it, I can make the switch but I'll have to install longer studs, acquire another spacer and remove the jumper from the key switch. Am I missing anything?

My RV-8 has an IO-360 A1D (angle valve) that currently uses one non-impulse Slick mag (4370) and one impulse Slick mag (4373). My current mags are coming up on the 500 hour inspection. I have an opportunity to get two really low time Slick mags but both are impulse mags (4373). As I understand it, I can make the switch but I'll have to install longer studs, acquire another spacer and remove the jumper from the key switch. Am I missing anything?

Why would you want to do all that? My opinion is that since you got a good deal, use the one impulse mag that you got, and have the non impulse one R&Red. By using two impulse mags, you are doubling your chances of having an impulse coupler go bad, and you’ll have to buy extra parts ( gear, spacer, studs ect..) negating your good deal. You can sell off the mag you don’t use to offset the R&R..

I had dual impulse mags. I got a deal on a freshly SB’d impulse mag and replaced the other with a SureFly SIM. Very easy install and the motor starts better and leans out better with the timing advance at low power settings. It comes down to personal preference but as I understand it, you are not missing anything in your question.

Back