What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Poll: Which Nose Wheel on your RV?

Which NOSE WHEEL on your RV?

• Beringer

Votes: 17 29.8%
  • Matco

Votes: 17 29.8%
  • Grove

Votes: 14 24.6%
  • Other

Votes: 9 15.8%

• Total voters

MS19087

Well Known Member
Beringer? Grove? Which did you choose and why? My thoughts . . .

Beringer is a very nice product - PROS & CONS: sealed bearings, harder to change tire (special tool), tubeless tire may not be available in a remote area . . .

Grove: PROS & CONS; simple wheel, have to drill nose wheel fork at initial installation (anti-rotation device), easy to fix a flat, non-sealed bearings (need to pack . . .

Any thoughts from those who went before me?

Standard Van's with Antisplat bearing mod

Certainly helped my nose wheel shimmy!

Ron

I've run the Beringer nose wheel since they came out and have installed many, nothing not to like about it, super high quality product.

Tubeless, can't ever remember seeing a flat from a puncture in an aircraft tire, its always tube failure usually do to low air.

The latest design of the Beringer doesn't require any special tools to change (changed from a 3 piece design to 2 piece).

Get a flat, fix it like any other modern tire or use a can of 'fix-a-flat'.

Special tool not required

With the aid of a little soapy water on the tyre bead it is possible to re-assemble the three piece Beringer without the special tool, using a 5mm Allen key and some Loctite 242. No doubt the job would be easier with the special tool but I?ve managed to do it twice without it. However I did use a go-kart bead breaker to help remove the tyre.

Beringer recommends replacing the rubber seals when the wheel is disassembled. I have spare seals on hand but the original seals are in great shape and still hold pressure.

During formation these Beringer wheels are often seen slowly rotating in the airstream. No sticky bearings here.

Currently Beringer for the last about 1100hrs.
Prior to that, Grove.
Prior to that, Matco.

I guess we've done them all. I'm staying with the Beringer obviously.

Antisplat

Just bought and installed an Antisplat modified nosewheel on my 6A. Never had any problems with the wheel that came with the kit, but it's a low cost upgrade and I've been convinced that it will simplify annuals and lessen the chance of a nosegear failure. John

Standard tire with Wingsonwheels mod

Colin fixed me up with his mod that is similar to Antisplats.

I purchased Grove because it was magnesium and had a spacer for the taper bearings. Good to go for 850 hrs so far.

Still using original Matco but self modified it after first 10 hours to be able to clamp up tight in axel without clamping up on bearing. 900 hours and no issues except I get a slight shimmy when I taxi between 19 and 23 kts.

Stock Matco for 3K hours (shipped to Alan as a core) :D
Bought a used Grove on this forum and have it since then.

Back