What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

conditional inspection

bjohnson1234

Well Known Member
I'm looking for someone who can do an annual for my RV6 at DVT. Normally Richard Dewitt does it, but I haven't been able to reach him. Also does anyone know if he's ok? It's unusual not to get a response from him. Thanks!

I sad to report that Richard passed away earlier this summer. A very nice gemtleman and long-time aviator.

Regards, Mike

I can help you in Prescott if you can bring it for a few days. I don't know anyone at DVT

I was just at an EAA meeting last night where an FAA investigator was presenting. The topic of an out of (annual) CI came up. He said a ferry permit was as Quick as a call, and could be accomplished online with an electronic signature from him/FAA. Give your local FSDO a call and see if they aren't getting more pilot-friendly.

I was just at an EAA meeting last night where an FAA investigator was presenting. The topic of an out of (annual) CI came up. He said a ferry permit was as Quick as a call, and could be accomplished online with an electronic signature from him/FAA. Give your local FSDO a call and see if they aren't getting more pilot-friendly.

Ferry permits are pretty easy to get but you have to be an A&P to obtain one and fly the plane to it's destination.

Ferry permits are pretty easy to get but you have to be an A&P to obtain one and fly the plane to it's destination.

No need to be an A&P just to fly the airplane to its destination on a ferry permit. Anyone can do that.

An out of annual plane must be inspected by the FAA or an A&P in order to get a ferry permit. There must be log entries that the plane was inspected and safe to ferry. The ferry permit will have a flight plan you must closely adhere to. I never looked into an EXP ferry permit with the builder doing the inspection and log entries, would have to ask the departure FSDO.

Last edited:
I suspect the OP does not need one but I have obtained a ferry permit for an experimental aircraft before. It varies per FSDO as far as personalities go, but generally, it?s very easy. You call up, get assigned to an ASI, and they will permit the operation with a boilerplate authorization emailed to you within an hour or two with a date range. The ferry permit will generally mandate an A&P inspect and sign the logbook as safe to fly (ie nothing showing as dangerous on a preflight inspection). You?ll want to be sure your insurance company allows ferry flights or get a one off rider to cover your flight. Prior planning best on each but those are the bases to cover for the legal eagle and insurance friendly way to move an aircraft that?s gone out of date, etc.

Back