What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

I know it's hot in Phoenix but..

rvator51

Well Known Member
I went to use a rubber grommet and they were all melted together. They were in a plastic tray in my hanger not exposed to sunlight. I wonder how hot it is getting in the hanger during the summer.

If you want to fix that, there are plenty of us up here in the frozen north to help. Just mail them up here, we'll cool them down and send them back to you, free of charge.

You're welcome.

I've had a hanger in Phoenix for 20 years.....you'd be amazed at the things that have melted, cracked, etc. over the years due to the heat!

I went to use a rubber grommet and they were all melted together. They were in a plastic tray in my hanger not exposed to sunlight. I wonder how hot it is getting in the hanger during the summer.

I think the real question is "exactly how crappy is this cheap, Chinese-made rubber?" Your hanger can't possibly approach the temp inside your cowl during post-flight, ground operations and I suspect you have plenty of rubber parts there that are not melting.

I once bought a retracting air hose reel at Harbor Freight. While the price/quality of the reel was good for the price, they included a cheap hose with it. I don't think it was 12 months before the rubber on that hose started cracking and deteriorating.

Larry

... My hangar is in Redlands Ca. (KREI) on hot days I have seen 140 F when I open the doors. This takes the fun out! Thanks, Allan..:eek:

First Timer

My wife and I spent six days in Arizona a month ago. Two days in Scottsdale were fun but HOT! Four nights in Sedona were absolutely marvelous. Cool at night and mid 80's during the day. Returning in April for a week at Enchantment Resort. Will definitely get some time in a GA aircraft next trip.

How hot is hot?

Tom,

The Mil-spec AN931 grommets sold by AC Spruce are good to 150C (300+F) so I think your melted ones came from the aviation dept. of Ace HW...:)

Hi Gil,

All of my grommets were AN931s from A/C Spruce. Just sent in another order to replace them.

Hi Gil,

All of my grommets were AN931s from A/C Spruce. Just sent in another order to replace them.

If you reached 300F in your hangar melted grommets will be least of your problems....:)

Bogus parts? Could a solvent have gotten the drawer?

The big takeaway here is that no one should have to live in Phoenix. :rolleyes: (Loving it up here in the cool mountain air... ;))

96 today

Yes it is hot in the area, BUT...... I always enjoy golfing or flying on New Years Day in shorts and sending pictures to Bob in MN or Jeff in Wisc. Fun stuff.

In the Summer the wind chill factor works opposite. 115 with 10 mph wind means it's 125.

Shocked nobody has used the "but it's a dry heat," line:) Hey, we only had 6 days over 110 this Summer in Phx. Not bad.

Darwin, after this summer I stopped saying it's a dry heat. Once the monsoon season arrived, it was crazy humid for weeks. It felt like Houston except with rattlesnakes. I still love it here though--best flying weather in the country!

As an aside, I was talking to a Textron Cherrymax tech and he said the aluminum Cherrymax rivets have a limit of 250F. Anyone using these have any experience with Cherrymax rivets failing due to heat. Just how hot DOES it get inside a hangar in Phoenix during August or just parked outside at a fly-in with the sun beating down on your aircraft? How hot does it get inside the wing structure or other parts of the aircraft that cannot afford to have Cherrymax rivets fail?

As an aside, I was talking to a Textron Cherrymax tech and he said the aluminum Cherrymax rivets have a limit of 250F. Anyone using these have any experience with Cherrymax rivets failing due to heat. Just how hot DOES it get inside a hangar in Phoenix during August or just parked outside at a fly-in with the sun beating down on your aircraft? How hot does it get inside the wing structure or other parts of the aircraft that cannot afford to have Cherrymax rivets fail?

I would guess the temp is because of the lubricant on the stem. If you relubricate the stems, I’m sure they’ll be fine.

Back